You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Irish Marriage Equality Referendum

JohnnyH

Les be married, or Les be not  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support marriage equality for them there gays?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I might pop over during the week and propose to Gerry Adams.

That would be sinnféin in the membrane.

• Upvote 2

Respectfully I disagree. As someone close to both situations I know that one of the key teachings of Jesus, "love your neighbor as yourself..." is a motivating factor behind these things.

And speaking as an atheist, that's the main moral influence in my life too. Christian values, atheist beliefs.

And speaking as an atheist, that's the main moral influence in my life too. Christian values, atheist beliefs.

I get your point Paul and agree with its premise overall but resent the Christian values.

That's just being a decent person, Christianity has no monopoly on being a decent person.

I get your point Paul and agree with its premise overall but resent the Christian values.

That's just being a decent person, Christianity has no monopoly on being a decent person.

I don't think anyone's saying that though mate. Certainly I'm not. Most of the monotheistic religions have similar values about how to treat others. It's just the God bit that I think is shite.

85% of people in Ireland class themselves as Catholic. 60%+ voting in favour of gay marriage. Surely that causes you to question the way you talk about the religious, and what they believe, and why they believe it?

No, because it's a vote where everyone in that 85% who voted "Yes" voted against the whip. The Pope will be fucking furious.

And I can show you some similar data from other much bigger countries that show they'd stone the gays. So it changes nothing. Except for the lovely gays who can now officially be as miserable as,the rest of us.

Respectfully I disagree. As someone close to both situations I know that one of the key teachings of Jesus, "love your neighbor as yourself..." is a motivating factor behind these things.

So I have to go next door and wank off my neighbour? Ok, but I don't think he's going to like it....

Even the Catholic Church was split on it. Many priests were saying they were going to vote Yes, and one Bishop said he wasn't going to tell his parishioners how to vote, which was a pretty big deal as it basically intimated his support of a Yes vote.

Looks like a 2-1 majority for Yes. Quite a proud moment.

I'm sure he got a good bashing about it.

I don't think anyone's saying that though mate. Certainly I'm not. Most of the monotheistic religions have similar values about how to treat others. It's just the God bit that I think is shite.

Most of the monotheistic religions give you scope to take good or bad values depending on the reading. They have no real moral guidance. The Rev didn't need it to be a good egg; he approached it as a good egg and found the lines he wanted to find.

You're good, you see the good. They are human values. Because religion is just a tool. A human constriction to get people to behave how you wish and, more importantly, to ask "why" a lot less.

• Upvote 2

In twenty years all these homosexuals will be rueing the day.

Only one group benefits from this.

Divorce lawyers.

In fact, the whole thing has probably been orchestrated from lawyers as hetero's have this shite figured out. Sime business plan really. The starights aint getting married where is our business coming from....let the gays marry! And then let human nature take its course.

• 2 years later...

http://www.theonion.com/article/nations-sexual-degenerates-impatient-gay-marriage--56587?utm_content=Main&utm_campaign=SF&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing

WASHINGTON—Assuming they’d be stripping away the moral fabric of society almost immediately after the Supreme Court’s 2015 decision to legalize same-sex marriage, the nation’s degenerates reported Monday that they have grown impatient for the gay marriage slippery slope to kick in. “We were promised that when gay marriage was legalized, it’d only be a matter of time before sickos like me would be having sex with our pets—well, I’ve got a dog and a cat I still haven’t fucked,” said an exasperated Alan Beleski, 42, one of the deviants from across the country who told reporters they were tired of waiting for the inevitable collapse in decency that would normalize acts such as bestiality, incest, and necrophilia. “Goddammit, what’s taking so long? When gay marriages were finally recognized in this country, I thought, ‘Hell yeah! I can finally openly proclaim my love for my sex doll, and I can also legally marry five other dolls because polygamy’s A-okay, too.’ But all that seems like a million years ago.” At press time, the nation’s degenerates took small comfort in states like Massachusetts where, with parental and court approval, a child can be married off at any age.

• Upvote 1