You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Irish Marriage Equality Referendum

JohnnyH

Les be married, or Les be not  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support marriage equality for them there gays?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It does amaze me that someone can hold a horrible thought, one that's solely motivated by religion, and people will say that it's not the fault of the religion, it's because they are a cunt.

It amazes me that you think it's solely motivated by religion. It's almost as if you've got a bias one way or the other when it comes to discussing religion.

It does amaze me that someone can hold a horrible thought, one that's solely motivated by religion, and people will say that it's not the fault of the religion, it's because they are a cunt.

I know, it's as though nobody has ever been motivated to do good by religion, like found hospitals, education systems, poor houses, soup kitchens and shit.

I dare say the big corporations you're so fond of are well known for putting the wellbeing of the little man the world over before their own success.

I know, it's as though nobody has ever been motivated to do good by religion, like found hospitals, education systems, poor houses, soup kitchens and shit.

I dare say the big corporations you're so fond of are well known for putting the wellbeing of the little man the world over before their own success.

What are you on about now? Which big corps am I fond off? And do I worship them? Nope. I remember the McDonald crusades though, and the Esso Inquisition.

I wonder how the Catholic Church stands as a corporation?

What is the level of religious wingnuttery in the UK? 

Its pretty mild on these shores (practically none here on the east coast) although the US is absolutely rife in it. Seems most of the born-again's down there only want to talk about sex and "teh gays" and have very little time for poverty etc.

Its pretty mild on these shores (practically none here on the east coast) although the US is absolutely rife in it. Seems most of the born-again's down there only want to talk about sex and "teh gays" and have very little time for poverty etc.

Drawing a picture or writing a book can get you killed, you can fuck as many kids as you want and they'll protect you. But on balance its not as bad as a lot of other places.

• Upvote 1

Drawing a picture or writing a book can get you killed, you can fuck as many kids as you want and they'll protect you. But on balance its not as bad as a lot of other places.

I'm guessing this would be OK though

party-christ.jpg

• Upvote 1

I moved from England six years ago and now live in the 'religious' Midwest. I do see a lot of good here in addition to the smattering of crackpots that give the whole thing a bad name. For example, our church is involved with fighting poverty in different places around the world. We work with numerous organizations and on Sunday we focused on a ministry in Haiti that does loads of good work. A school we support there needed 40+ kids to be sponsored to get through school and have clothing, food and books and so on. We talked about it during the sermon time and people responded right then and there to meet the need. But we don't just do stuff for places far away when there is need on our own doorstep. One of our members - an executive fella deep into 6 figures salary - recently left his job and sold his house, motorbike, nice car, the lot. Then he moved into a house on the near east side, the poorest part of Indianapolis, to fight poverty and be on the frontline in helping with urban renewal. So far several houses have been bought and refurbished and needy families now have homes. It's replacing some of the crack dens and other crap that goes on, and it is fighting for a better future for a needy neighborhood. They have co-op things going on to help share resources and as a businessman he is exploring ways to get more money in there and start businesses to give people jobs and hope.

The things done in the name of Jesus are not all bad, though I readily concede there are some crackpots who give the whole thing a bad name.

• Upvote 3

People also still talk about that fucking shit one where 5000 turned up.

True. The disciples got wine, fresh fruit and a stonking cheese and meats platter.

When the poor were invited to big open-air one they got water and a piece of stale fish and bread from the bins at the back of al-Q'tesco.

Fuckers should have stuck with the trusty Egyptian gods. But no, they had to start praying to that fucking upstart.

Guest Pistonbroke

People also still talk about that fucking shit one where 5000 turned up.

Bit of a fishy story if you ask me. 

You're the most pro big business poster on here by a country mile.

The crusades was a few hundred years ago. The Halliburton and oil inspired invasion of Iraq was 12 years ago.

You're the most pro big business poster on here by a country mile.

The crusades was a few hundred years ago. The Halliburton and oil inspired invasion of Iraq was 12 years ago.

Oh, because I understand that they exist to make money and don't expect them to do anything else? Biggest tax dodgers in the history of the world...that'd be the ones who influence governments worldwide so they just don't pay any. No loopholes needed, no shell companies, no write downs - just a lovely law that exempts them. Beautiful.

The squirming and apologising that goes on about this subject is hilarious. Blokes who would be all over any other subject usually.

Oh, because I understand that they exist to make money and don't expect them to do anything else? Biggest tax dodgers in the history of the world...that'd be the ones who influence governments worldwide so they just don't pay any. No loopholes needed, no shell companies, no write downs - just a lovely law that exempts them. Beautiful.

The squirming and apologising that goes on about this subject is hilarious. Blokes who would be all over any other subject usually.

That's because there's no balance in anti religion arguments on the GF, there never has been. It's always been a case of 'religions are bad, people who follow religions are mongs'.

Religion is like politics, like capitalism, like anything, it's a philosophy which can do good or bad things depending on what ends the person being influenced by it really wants to achieve.

Whether you admit it or not, religion has inspired thousands of years of positive human behaviour and still does to this day, all over the world, the behaviour of a randy Irish priest or a psychopath jihadi from Birmingham will not change that fact.

• Upvote 1

Inspired? Interesting choice of word.

I don't thing religious people are stupid, I think their religion is stupid. If someone does something good I think it's weird to say they did it because of religion, like without it they wouldn't have bothered.

Anyway, if you vote 'No' you are a twat.

The roman catholic church is one of the biggest corporations going, existing in order to better itself. A lot of what the church preaches is to benefit the church e.g. condoms stop roman catholics breeding to produce more roman catholics.

If it is against gay marriage it will be that gays dont breed.

I moved from England six years ago and now live in the 'religious' Midwest. I do see a lot of good here in addition to the smattering of crackpots that give the whole thing a bad name. For example, our church is involved with fighting poverty in different places around the world. We work with numerous organizations and on Sunday we focused on a ministry in Haiti that does loads of good work. A school we support there needed 40+ kids to be sponsored to get through school and have clothing, food and books and so on. We talked about it during the sermon time and people responded right then and there to meet the need. But we don't just do stuff for places far away when there is need on our own doorstep. One of our members - an executive fella deep into 6 figures salary - recently left his job and sold his house, motorbike, nice car, the lot. Then he moved into a house on the near east side, the poorest part of Indianapolis, to fight poverty and be on the frontline in helping with urban renewal. So far several houses have been bought and refurbished and needy families now have homes. It's replacing some of the crack dens and other crap that goes on, and it is fighting for a better future for a needy neighborhood. They have co-op things going on to help share resources and as a businessman he is exploring ways to get more money in there and start businesses to give people jobs and hope.

The things done in the name of Jesus are not all bad, though I readily concede there are some crackpots who give the whole thing a bad name.

None of that has anything to do with Jesus. At all.

• Upvote 1

True. The disciples got wine, fresh fruit and a stonking cheese and meats platter.

When the poor were invited to big open-air one they got water and a piece of stale fish and bread from the bins at the back of al-Q'tesco.

Fuckers should have stuck with the trusty Egyptian gods. But no, they had to start praying to that fucking upstart.

I had to flick back up to the top of this post to make sure it wasn't from the Rev G.

I agree with Rico in a way. But the same goes for profit too. Both inspire good and bad, neither have been needed for people to excel, for creativity to flourish for mankind to evolve but both have as a byproduct boosted both. Money is the new God and huge crimes are commited and are excused in its name. There are good religious people, there are good rich people, chasing God or money are not bad things, it's the systems that are corrupt, the bigger picture that's destructive and generally those in positions of power in both systems who abuse it. Organised religion alongside the big financial institutions have both become very bad for our long term future in my opinion. Power corrupts it's inevitable and terrifying when entity's are so powerful they can shape the laws, eventually it's everyone else that's criminal. Vote yes Ireland love and commitment between two consenting adults isn't a bad thing, it should be celebrated christ there's enough misery and bigotry in the world.

• Upvote 1