You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Irish Marriage Equality Referendum

JohnnyH

Les be married, or Les be not  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support marriage equality for them there gays?

• Yes
    • No

In Ireland we are going to vote this week on whether or not to give gays and lesbians equality in marriage. I'm very much in the yes side. Even just the idea of denying people equality makes me a bit ill. However, I accept that for some people it is an issue and they would vote against it. Therefore I thought I'd do a bit of a straw poll here to see what the general view would be.

Justify your vote, or don't. The vote above is private so no one has to know how you feel about this.

• Upvote 1

Guest Super Sub

I am not gay so therefore it matters not one fucking jot to me.

I say if it matters to gays so much let them vote on it if they either need it or want it. If they want or need it they can vote on it for themselves don't believe in people voting in or influencing issues either in work or in society which doesn't affect them or concern them

There is an argument in part of the gay community that believe marriage is institutionally discriminatory in its nature and don't want it in place. I don't pretend to understand the finer details of this argument, but it's not just religious nutters who are against it.

Personally if people want to get married they should be able to, the only exception I would have on this which no one is arguing against is the marrying off of kids.

It's just not natural, Marriage it's weird. I've told my missus she can fuck off if she thinks we're ever getting married, I'd rather spend the money on something useful like hookers or maoams.

I love how religion relaxes it's rules with the zeitgeist, pretty soon it will officially state it's all bollocks but come anyway and pay for our roof to be fixed because we only have billions upon billions of pounds left oh and priceless art and insane amounts of land. But I suppose everyone has their own little wishes and some people dream of being married in a traditional way. Why the fuck have I got an opinion on this, I'm all for equality but could care less about fairy contracts. Edit: by fairy contracts I mean religion fairy tales not gay being fairys. Jeez

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I voted yes, if it rains here tomorrow..............

Seriously, who gives a fuck about who marries who as long as they are both consenting adults!! 

Yes, of course. What is it with Catholic-centric nations that the thought of gay marriage sends the die-hards running for the hills, but priests bumming choirboys is an acceptable pastime.

Fucking Hell, mate, do you even have to ask?

A Priest's spunk is holy, like Holy Water, so when they're bumming choirboys they're actually blessing them...with spunk

I am not gay so therefore it matters not one fucking jot to me.

I say if it matters to gays so much let them vote on it if they either need it or want it. If they want or need it they can vote on it for themselves don't believe in people voting in or influencing issues either in work or in society which doesn't affect them or concern them

Thank fuck Mandela and King weren't relying on your support.
  • Upvote 2

I am not gay so therefore it matters not one fucking jot to me. I say if it matters to gays so much let them vote on it if they either need it or want it. If they want or need it they can vote on it for themselves don't believe in people voting in or influencing issues either in work or in society which doesn't affect them or concern them

It's some achievement, but I think that's the stupidest most ill thought through argument I've ever seen made on here. Well done.