You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vilas Boas, what happened to him?

ratcatcher

I view him as at a similar level as Klopp and look what happened, I know you must have harsh views on him considering what your views on Rodgers are.

This is a guy who took over a team that finished fourth, had the best player in the league form wise and finished lower the following season, his transfers the season after that make ours look excellent.

If fourth to fifth is bad (whilst ammassing Spurs best ever points total in the PL) then you must be absolutely seething with Rodgers who's never even won a trophy to back up his potential.

• Upvote 1

If fourth to fifth is bad (whilst ammassing Spurs best ever points total in the PL) then you must be absolutely seething with Rodgers who's never even won a trophy to back up his potential.

Rodgers took the club forward, even this season will be better then the few years before he took over, Villas Boas took over and had the best player in the league at the time and he didn't improve the clubs position.

I rate Villas Boas as I said at a similar level to Klopp and I don't think that period at spurs makes him shit, seeing as he done worse then Rodgers and a lot are calling him shit by their logic Villas boas is.

• Downvote 1

I view him as at a similar level as Klopp and look what happened, I know you must have harsh views on him considering what your views on Rodgers are.

This is a guy who took over a team that finished fourth, had the best player in the league form wise and finished lower the following season, his transfers the season after that make ours look excellent.

I think that AVB's Euro record and experience in Portugal, England and Russia give him the edge over Klopp. But that's a subjective call.

I actually quite like Brendan, and think he has done extraordinarily well for his experience. Whether we should be offering the managers post on a work experience basis is another question.

If there is any doubt over the role of the transfer committee at Anfield there is none at Spurs - it is Baldini and Levy.

I don't think that the question is whether Klopp is better than AVB,it is " what jobs would suit them best?"

Tottenham are like us in the sense that the fans demand far more than can reasonably be expected and will call for anyone who doesn't consistently deliver that to be sacked. Give Mourinho/Guardiola/Ancelotti/whoever 3 years at Tottenham and they'll be in the same boat they are now, desperately scrapping to try and get into the top 4.

The best managers win semi-finals, finals, big games. They do it before they get given the best gigs.

Hardly anyone wins anything before they get given the best gigs. There are only a small handful of teams in each country with a realistic chance of winning trophies.

• Upvote 1

Hardly anyone wins anything before they get given the best gigs. There are only a small handful of teams in each country with a realistic chance of winning trophies.

Just on current managers.

Van Gaal/league winning before joining the Mancs

Pelligrini/league winning before joining the blue Mancs

Mourinho/CL and league winning before joining them. 

Wenger/league winning before joining Arsenal

Guardiola/Bayern No need to mention

Ancelloti/league and CL winning

Rudi Garcia- League winning before joining Roma

Allegri - league winning before joining Juventus

The main exception to the rule is Barcelona.  One club out of many of the top jobs.

• Upvote 1

Just on current managers.

Van Gaal/league winning before joining the Mancs

Pelligrini/league winning before joining the blue Mancs

Mourinho/CL and league winning before joining them.

Wenger/league winning before joining Arsenal

Guardiola/Bayern No need to mention

Ancelloti/league and CL winning

Rudi Garcia- League winning before joining Roma

Allegri - league winning before joining Juventus

The main exception to the rule is Barcelona. One club out of many of the top jobs.

Where they at clubs with a similar chance of success as Swansea who were in their first season in the prem?

He's a good coach but his style of football demands the right set of players to fit into it. He insists on a high defensive line but in England had players like John Terry and Michael Dawson who will be made to look like pub players in that type of system and the likes of Suarez and the speed merchants of the league would rip them to shreds on the counter.

His man-management didn't really work with English players either who often need to be mollycoddled.

He's got a decent record in European competition already. Won the Europa League with Porto in style and made the quarters with Zenit this year where they were unlucky to go out to Sevilla who are probably the best side in it.