You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chels.... Who's arsed?

Oh Buoy

How was not losing better than losing? It still means we are fucked. We may as well have thrown the kitchen sink at them and risked the counter goal while there was still a sliver of hope left.

If he took us into the bottom three you'd be on here arguing it was a tactical move.

You lot are either nuts or all on a wind up,we are fucked because we dominated Chelsea and got a draw against a team who's lost one game in over 50 at home under Mourinho since he came back and he had a long unbeaten run before that.

Those saying Chelsea didn't care or weren't up for it clearly didn't watch the game or hear Joses comments, before the game they were all predicting a bad loss for us saying BR wouldn't get the team up for it.

A win wouldn't have meant much as Manu would still get fourth and the Rodgers out brigade would be saying we only won because Chelsea had already won the league.

A loss would have meant his haters would have come up with another list of things to moan about so I can understand him looking to make sure we didn't lose towards the end but as I said I don't think that sub meant we couldn't go on and win.

Going back to your we are fucked comment as I said a few posts back this will be our second highest finish in the last 7 seasons with all the issues we have had, it's been a lot worse and there's not major work needed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So is Rodgers' team that finished second a better team than Rafa's team that finished second?

Rafas team had bigger names and it's hard to choose between the two, BRs team performed better in the league performance wise and were more attractive but they had the advantage of not being in Europe.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rafas team had bigger names and it's hard to choose between the two, BRs team performed better in the league performance wise and were more attractive but they had the advantage of not being in Europe.

86 points/84 points.  Rafa's teams performed better in the league 

• Upvote 1

The year we came second under Rafa was brilliant and I loved almost every minute, we were also fighting on a number of fronts including spanking Real Madrid in Europe. However, last season was my absolute favourite time watching us since I was a kid. We came up short in the end but what a fucking ride, most exciting Liverpool team I've ever seen and as much as people try to take it away from him Rodgers deserves massive credit for that. He got us all believing again.

I'd like to see if he can come up with something close to that again but if he's replaced I can understand why. Some people are absolutely taking the piss with the criticism though, you'd swear he was no better than a Sunday league manager the way people are going on.

• Upvote 1

The year we finished 2nd under Rafa we had the best attack and the best goal difference in the league.

We lost it, because Fanchester's cousins were getting dodgy penalties converted by a steroid charged Ronaldo diving in and out the area.

If that Rafa team had a Coutinho (or a Sterling) and a better keeper, it would score more than 90 points and win the league. If that team had Suarez instead of Torres it would be unbeatable in England and Europe.

Last season, it was a great chance wasted. Arsenal, Spurs, United were utter shite, while we got some unusual tolerance and respect from the referees. Yet we managed to concede more goals than seven teams in the League and lose the title to Shitty like total dickheads.

• Upvote 1

86 points/84 points. Rafa's teams performed better in the league

Points total can be misleading depending on lots of random factors.

Under Rodgers we were in it until the last day. Not so under Rafa. Actually we were never really in it under Rafa, despite having a great season.

I agree Moofy.

Mascherano and Alonso were signed and developed by Rafa though.

And Torres.

Plus he made Gerrard into the best right sided midfielder, and subsequently attacking midfielder in Europe, even though all the "experts" we're telling us his best position was in the middle!

No European football was a huge factor last year. Credit to Rodgers for some of the attacking football though.

If i had to compare the sides though. Rafa's team to me looked the most like a team, felt unbeatable watching that side.

Last year felt like an accumulation of good factors, with the Mancs being shit, Chelsea struggling to get their team right. And us riding the crest of 1 game a week, a fit and hungry Suarez. But the defensive side of the team was a shambles really.

Maybe it's just my foggy memory but I don't really consider the season we fiinished second under Rafa as a title challenge exactly, even if we did come close and only lost 2 games. It wasn't until that game against Fulham where I started to think it might actually happen. I mean a few weeks before we beat the Mancs 4-1 we played one of the worst games of football I've ever seen from us when we got beat by Boro.

Last season though I was thinking as early as January that we could and would win the league. In the end though both resulted in nowt so hey ho.

• Upvote 1

No European football was a huge factor last year. Credit to Rodgers for some of the attacking football though.

If i had to compare the sides though. Rafa's team to me looked the most like a team, felt unbeatable watching that side.

Last year felt like an accumulation of good factors, with the Mancs being shit, Chelsea struggling to get their team right. And us riding the crest of 1 game a week, a fit and hungry Suarez. But the defensive side of the team was a shambles really.

I feel the opposite way, last season I felt we were the best team in the league while under Rafa I felt we were not and would have needed a lot of luck to win.

We were struggling to break down teams and were getting last minute winners against teams like Portsmouth, Fulham and winning from 2-0 down on a couple of occasions to relegation candidates.We even needed a last minute winner away to Derby who are the worst team in premier league history.

Last season we were smashing everyone including rivals while playing the best football in the league.

• Downvote 1

So is Rodgers' team that finished second a better team than Rafa's team that finished second?

Not a fucking chance. That Rafa side of 08/09 would destroy any Liverpool side since.

Reina

Aurelio

Arbeloa

Agger

Carragher

Benayoun

Kuyt

Mascherano

Alonso

Gerrard

Torres

As good as Suarez was for us he'd only be able to do so much, that midfield would obliterate Henderson & Allen.

Under Rodgers we were in it until the last day. Not so under Rafa. Actually we were never really in it under Rafa, despite having a great season.

We were ten points clear at one point, granted Utd had three games in hand, but still.

Not a fucking chance. That Rafa side of 08/09 would destroy any Liverpool side since.

Reina

Aurelio

Arbeloa

Agger

Carragher

Benayoun

Kuyt

Mascherano

Alonso

Gerrard

Torres

As good as Suarez was for us he'd only be able to do so much, that midfield would obliterate Henderson & Allen.

Yeah, Suarez is a better player than anyone in that 2008/09 team, but you could take anyone out of that side (even Torres or Gerrard) and they'd still have got 75-80 points. Take Suarez out of ours last season and, er, well...

Surely, that's a result of how the other teams performed rather than our own performance though. It's all ifs and buts, but put last season's side into that 2008/09 and assuming the same points tally it would have finished 6 points behind the mancs. So, it would have felt probably the same as you've described above i.e. that "we were never really into it". Accordingly, put Rafa's 08/09 team in last season's league and we would have finished on the same tally as Man City rather than 2 points behind, so you could be damn sure that it would have felt like "we were in it until the last day".

Of course, there are loads of assumptions in there as is inevitable when comparing different seasons, but that's just to show that your argument that an accurate portrayal of how we performed in the league should be based on whether we felt like were going to win it or not rather on our end of season points tally is a flawed one. If anything, whether we were in it till the final day is far more indicative of how our opponents performed than how we ourselves did (i.e it is more due to the fact that the mancs accumulated 90 pts compared to City's 86 last year). And, anyway, as has already been pointed out, Rafa did it while being in the Champions League twatting the likes of Madrid. No chance in my mind of us doing as well as we did last season had we been playing in Europe.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, Suarez is a better player than anyone in that 2008/09 team, but you could take anyone out of that side (even Torres or Gerrard) and they'd still have got 75-80 points. Take Suarez out of ours last season and, er, well...

They more or less did Torres only played 22 games that season.

Surely, that's a result of how the other teams performed rather than our own performance though. It's all ifs and buts, but put last season's side into that 2008/09 and assuming the same points tally it would have finished 6 points behind the mancs. So, it would have felt probably the same as you've described above i.e. that "we were never really into it". Accordingly, put Rafa's 08/09 team in last season's league and we would have finished on the same tally as Man City rather than 2 points behind, so you could be damn sure that it would have felt like "we were in it until the last day".

Of course, there are loads of assumptions in there as is inevitable when comparing different seasons, but that's just to show that your argument that an accurate portrayal of how we performed in the league should be based on whether we felt like were going to win it or not rather on our end of season points tally is a flawed one. If anything, whether we were in it till the final day is far more indicative of how our opponents performed than how we ourselves did (i.e it is more due to the fact that the mancs accumulated 90 pts compared to City's 86 last year). And, anyway, as has already been pointed out, Rafa did it while being in the Champions League twatting the likes of Madrid. No chance in my mind of us doing as well as we did last season had we been playing in Europe.

All I'm saying is that a points total of 73 which wins you the league will be a better season that a points total of 86 where you come second.

The year we finished 2nd under Rafa we had the best attack and the best goal difference in the league.

We lost it, because Fanchester's cousins were getting dodgy penalties converted by a steroid charged Ronaldo diving in and out the area.

If that Rafa team had a Coutinho (or a Sterling) and a better keeper, it would score more than 90 points and win the league. If that team had Suarez instead of Torres it would be unbeatable in England and Europe.

Last season, it was a great chance wasted. Arsenal, Spurs, United were utter shite, while we got some unusual tolerance and respect from the referees. Yet we managed to concede more goals than seven teams in the League and lose the title to Shitty like total dickheads.

Arsenal and Spurs were not utter shite last season. Both finished with their 2nd highest points total in thd past 9 years. Everton had their hhighest points total in that time, City their 2nd higgest and Chelsea finished on 82 points. Only twice since 06 had they finished on more than 83 points - We ended up with 84. Last season the Mancs had an unusually poor season. All other teams in contention had a very good season, and we narrowly missed out on winning it.

If you want to use things to beat Rodgers and ghe club with, there is plenty to go around but last season is not one of them and should be lauded for the extraordinary success it would have been.

• Upvote 2

Arguing which 2nd place finish was better has to be one of the more pointless exercises on a forum not known to shy away from a big juicy pointless exercise. Not only is it completely subjective (and a bit like arguing which of the two girls who told you to fuck off at the end of the night after you had plied them with free drinks and witty banter were hotter), even if it were scientifically proven that one was better than the other, it would have no bearing whatsoever on whether Rodger's should be kept on or not as manager now.

Can you imagine JermainePennant turning round after it had been experimentally confirmed that Benitez' season was better and saying "Oh, right, I guess he should go, then"? There is a better chance of Major Tom saying something worthwhile than that ever happening. So if that is the case, why does JermainePennant even bother to argue the point? I don't particularly want Rodgers around too much longer, but trying to argue the 2008/9 season was better does nothing to support my case, so why bother?

• Upvote 1

Guest davelfc

Arguing which 2nd place finish was better has to be one of the more pointless exercises on a forum 

Two bald men fighting over a comb. 

• Upvote 1

Arguing which 2nd place finish was better has to be one of the more pointless exercises on a forum not known to shy away from a big juicy pointless exercise. Not only is it completely subjective (and a bit like arguing which of the two girls who told you to fuck off at the end of the night after you had plied them with free drinks and witty banter were hotter), even if it were scientifically proven that one was better than the other, it would have no bearing whatsoever on whether Rodger's should be kept on or not as manager now.

Can you imagine JermainePennant turning round after it had been experimentally confirmed that Benitez' season was better and saying "Oh, right, I guess he should go, then"? There is a better chance of Major Tom saying something worthwhile than that ever happening. So if that is the case, why does JermainePennant even bother to argue the point? I don't particularly want Rodgers around too much longer, but trying to argue the 2008/9 season was better does nothing to support my case, so why bother?

I didn't start the debate and was giving my opinion on the question, your right it wouldn't change my view either way, both managers had very good seasons and both should have been allowed a bad season considering the good work they had done before.

I didn't start the debate and was giving my opinion on the question, your right it wouldn't change my view either way, both managers had very good seasons and both should have been allowed a bad season considering the good work they had done before.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 3