You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running a Marathon

Harry Squatter

You doing the Sefton Park Spring 10k on Sunday, Doc?

Me too, looking forward to it.

As for marathons, dunno about you, but training for a 10k is as far as I'd go, fuck putting my body through 26 miles!

Yeah mate, doing it to raise funds for an Autism support group that my son goes to.

Had a look at doing the London one for the Natoonal Autistic Society as they have guaranteed places. Anything else apart from running for a large charity you have to enter a stupid ballot that is a proper long shot. It's scary doing a 26 mile run but if people can do it in stupid costumes sweating themselves half to death then I don't see why I can't. Must say the New York Marathon has far more appeal than the London one!

• Upvote 1

Sound mate, if you see a white boy with "Mohammad" plastered on a pink race vest/ number plate thing, that's me.

My mate thought it'd be hilarious to sign me up in that name. We done it last year and all the people watching spur you on as you go, they read your name on your top and then shout something like "keep going *insert name*!"

God knows what they'll make when they read Mohammad and see me.

Good on you for doing it for a god cause, as for the marathon ballot my mate has tried the last 2 years and not got it so far so yeah it's deffo a long shot, but as you say you're more likely through the official charity entries. Think if you can guarantee to raise £1,000 you should warrant a place, but not certain on that.

Sound mate, if you see a white boy with "Mohammad" plastered on a pink race vest/ number plate thing, that's me.

My mate thought it'd be hilarious to sign me up in that name. We done it last year and all the people watching spur you on as you go, they read your name on your top and then shout something like "keep going *insert name*!"

God knows what they'll make when they read Mohammad and see me.

Good on you for doing it for a god cause, as for the marathon ballot my mate has tried the last 2 years and not got it so far so yeah it's deffo a long shot, but as you say you're more likely through the official charity entries. Think if you can guarantee to raise £1,000 you should warrant a place, but not certain on that.

"Fuck off, Momo!"

Never did the full, but I have done a few half-marathons. I advised guy running Dublin in October for his first marathon ever. I'd say the important thing is consistency, getting out at least 4 times a week and maybe even stretching that to 6 in the long term.

The most important session is probably the long run which is typically 50% more than your normal run i.e if I run 10 miles on average, I want my long run to be 15 miles.

Make sure you don't make the mistake of filling up the bulk of your mileage with the long run, as in don't do a 20 mile run to pad out a 40 mile training week. It ideally should never be more than 25-30% of your weekly mileage.

Here's a sample of a six week programme I wrote out for the lad in question. I designed it to suit him and his paces so you shouldn't go adopting it for yourself, but it might help give you a clearer idea on how to train for it. 

Week One: Monday 15 September- Sunday 21 September

Monday 15th: 6 km easy run

Tuesday 16th: 8 km easy run

Wednesday 17th: 8 km (5 mile) tempo @5:00 per km (8:00 per mile).

Thursday 18th: 6 km easy run.

Friday 19th: Recovery day.

Saturday 20th: 8 km easy/steady run.

Sunday 21st: 20 km (12.5 mile) Long Run.

Weekly total= 60 km

Week Two: Monday 22nd-Sunday 28th

Monday 22nd: 6km easy run

Tuesday 23rd: 9km easy run

Wednesday 24th: 11 km (7 mile) tempo @5:00 per km (8:00 per mile).

Thursday 25th: 8 km easy run.

Friday 26th: Recovery day.

Saturday 27th: 10 km easy/steady run.

Sunday 28th: 22k (13.75 mile) Long Run.

Weekly total= 65 km

Week Three: Monday 29th- Sunday 5th October

Monday 29th: 6 km easy run

Tuesday 30th: 10 km easy run

Wednesday 1st: 14.5 km (9 mile) tempo @5:00 per km (8:00 per mile).

Thursday 2nd: 10 km easy run.

Friday 3rd: Recovery day.

Saturday 4th: 10 km easy/steady run.

Sunday 5th: 25 km (15.5 mile) Long Run.

Weekly total= 70 km

Week Four: Monday 6th-Sunday 12th

Monday 6th: 8 km easy run.

Tuesday 7th: 10 km easy run.

Wednesday 8th: 6-8 x 1000 metres @ 10 km pace (4:50-4:55 per km) with 90 seconds/2 minutes recovery.

Thursday 9th: 10 km easy run

Friday 10th: Recovery day.

Saturday 11th: 12 km easy/steady run.

Sunday 12th: 28 km (17.5 mile) Long Run

Weekly total= 80 km.

You doing the Sefton Park Spring 10k on Sunday, Doc?

Me too, looking forward to it.

As for marathons, dunno about you, but training for a 10k is as far as I'd go, fuck putting my body through 26 miles!

I always say if you can run 10k you can run a marathon. Most of it is in your head. And making sure you have enough time to do the training. Towards the end it becomes almost a full time occupation.

The guy who invented jogging 'so to speak as a pastime' died while out for a run his name was .

JAMES F. FIXX.

Conspiracy? You decide. Jimmy will fix it for you.

Meanwhile Keith Richards in his late 60's is injecting Heroine into his cocks blue vein                                                   

I did the Dublin Marathon in 2011. I fucking hated training for it. I hated running it. I didn't even enjoy finishing it because my hotel was only 500 yards away but the roads were all closed and I got lost in the pissing rain trying to find the hotel.

At the risk of sounding redundant... It's a fucking lot further than a half marathon!