You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Klopp another Rodgers?

JohnnyH

God knows I had some nasty run ins with NV over Rodgers when he was first hired. However I totally get what he is saying. If you had actually read and understood his posts over the past couple of years you would see there is a logic to his "different path" post. 

Personally I think Rodgers just isn't very good at his job but its also clear that whatever "philosophy" or "identity" Rodgers once claimed to be pursuing is now totally absent. 

Imo Rodgers abandoned that "philosophy" around xmas time in his season, a good job too since he was in Hodgson territory results wise.  In came Coutinho and Sturridge and we stopped fucking about with the ball at the back when losing games and switched to a counter attacking side.  The results were then excellent for 18 months for the most part but it was as far removed as his original death by football talk as the shite on a stick football we've witnessed since.

Any top half team with Suarez playing the way he was playing that season was going to be a contender. He was fucking superhuman every match until we started playing Johnson again and it all went tits up.

We have won 5 out of our last 14 league games. 11 scored 22 conceded. 

• Upvote 2

"At Liverpool, even without anyone demanding it of me, I forced myself to do things to help the team to work." - Luis Suarez

"When there was a bad game I was always criticized. I took it internally and it hurt me." - Luis Suarez

Rodgers improved Suarez my arse. Serial winner leaves and side with shit players and shit manager becomes shit shocker.

• Upvote 15

If FSG had the nous to realise they fucked up giving Rodgers a reprieve at the end of last season and acted swiftly now to remove him they would go up in my estimation.

I see no point in continuing on the path we are on and just delaying and delaying unless of course they just want mediocrity....

• Upvote 2

If FSG had the nous to realise they fucked up giving Rodgers a reprieve at the end of last season and acted swiftly now to remove him they would go up in my estimation.

I see no point in continuing on the path we are on and just delaying and delaying unless of course they just want mediocrity....

You might have a point there. 

Appoint a manager well above his level and he won't complain, not while he's buying houses and dealing with his mid life crisis.

Appoint a CEO that knows more about the commercial side than football, because it's all about making as much money as possible.

Appoint a TC that will buy as much potential as possible for a decent hedge at a resale. 

Make the fans forget about a new stadium, when a new stand will get the corporate seats required. 

Stifle any chance of protest by implementing a new system for flags and banners.

Gillet and Hicks with better PR. If anyone thinks they will sack Brendan and appoint Klopp then think again, he's doing exactly what Hodgson attempted when he was employed by the previous owners. He just isn't as stupid as Hodgson. Very slick operators FSG, they have most still fooled.

• Upvote 4

You might have a point there.

Appoint a manager well above his level and he won't complain, not while he's buying houses and dealing with his mid life crisis.

Appoint a CEO that knows more about the commercial side than football, because it's all about making as much money as possible.

Appoint a TC that will buy as much potential as possible for a decent hedge at a resale.

Make the fans forget about a new stadium, when a new stand will get the corporate seats required.

Stifle any chance of protest by implementing a new system for flags and banners.

Gillet and Hicks with better PR. If anyone thinks they will sack Brendan and appoint Klopp then think again, he's doing exactly what Hodgson attempted when he was employed by the previous owners. He just isn't as stupid as Hodgson. Very slick operators FSG, they have most still fooled.

Hard to argue with that.

• Downvote 1

Don't agree with the FSG/G&H comparissons, if anything they've been guilty of listening too much to the fans. 

First thing they did was appoint every rent-a-blert with a Twitter account to give them advice and did things like appoint Dalglish on a permanent basis rather than take a dispassionate look at things and backed him with a huge amount of cash, breaking our transfer record more than once  but with all of it going on shite. 

They then gave it to Rodgers and he spent all that on shite too. Don't see how any of that is their fault to be honest. If they're trying to do things on the cheap, then spending £35 million on players isn't a very subtle way of doing it. 

That's not to say they're any good though, they're amateur hour in all their dealings and they clearly think football and liverpool are a distant second in their sporting and business portfolio. That doesn't make them asset strippers though, just stupid. 

• Upvote 3

Of course the club has needed a way to tap in to that commercial side for years, something I feel Ayre should be doing as a job in itself. Not having him involved in the football side of things at all. 

My comparison with G&H was more about they wanted the fans expectations lowered, they know putting up a league challenge each year takes more money than they ever wanted to spend. Over the years expectations have successfully been lowered to the point where a lot of fans are accepting over £100m of spending to equal 6th place. 

What we have is a manager that has successfully lowered this club down to his level and owners that appear to find that completely acceptable. More worryingly we have some fans that accept it too. 

Of course the club has needed a way to tap in to that commercial side for years, something I feel Ayre should be doing as a job in itself. Not having him involved in the football side of things at all. 

My comparison with G&H was more about they wanted the fans expectations lowered, they know putting up a league challenge each year takes more money than they ever wanted to spend. Over the years expectations have successfully been lowered to the point where a lot of fans are accepting over £100m of spending to equal 6th place. 

What we have is a manager that has successfully lowered this club down to his level and owners that appear to find that completely acceptable. More worryingly we have some fans that accept it too. 

Expectations have been lowered because the club was the on the verge of going bust and the top four have much bigger resources. I don't see the point in expecting what we had under Rafa to return any time soon.

Expectations have been lowered because the club was the on the verge of going bust and the top four have much bigger resources. I don't see the point in expecting what we had under Rafa to return any time soon.

A few weeks after they sacked him? I was talking about Hodgson initially and his mess of an attempt to lower fans expectations. Rafa wanted this player and that player so he could continue that push forward, dangerous for G&H as it costs money. 

Same with these owners, they just decided to put a man in a job who had potential instead of some proven manager that might know from day one what he wanted. Certainly a well respected and experienced manager would never have put up with TC buys that were bought in  case they could improve in value. 

Brendan will take the fans anger but the real blame lies beyond him. Somewhere in that mist of uncertainty. 

We can regularly be fifth though can't we, and compete to the end of the Europa league more often than not?