You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What does it take to get jailed?

Baltar

Apparently beating the crap out of someone until they lose consciousness and stamping on their head 18 times doesn't warrant jail.

But breaking into a uni computer to change your rubbish exam grade gets you 4 months in the slammer.

Soldiers in brutal CCTV attack avoid jail

Two soldiers caught on camera brutally attacking two civilians have been spared jail.
Shaun Smith, 25, and Jason Collins, 22, had been drinking on the night of the attack near their barracks at Catterick Garrison, North Yorkshire.
The assault, in April 2014, was caught on CCTV and showed Smith stamping on one of the victims 18 times.

He was given a 12-month sentence suspended for a year. Collins received a 12 month community order.
Judge Jamie Hill QC described the incident as "a deeply unpleasant and inexcusable incident" but accepted the men had shown "considerable" remorse.

He admitted the sentences were "exceptional" and said he hoped the men would be able to continue their military careers.
Teesside Crown Court was told the soldiers alleged something was said which provoked them to attack the two civilians.

One victim was left unconscious as the soldiers chased the other man and began to punch and stamp on him

---------------------------------------

University of Birmingham exam cheat jailed after hacking computers to boost marks

A cheating student who hacked into the University of Birmingham’s computer system so he could get a better degree has been jailed for four months.

Imran Uddin, 25, used a keyboard spying device to steal staff passwords and then upped five exam marks, including one from 57 per cent to 73 per cent.

The student, of Chesterton Road, Balsall Heath, had been in his final year of a bio-science course and had been expected to achieve at least a lower second class degree.

But he was jailed at Birmingham Crown Court after admitting six charges contrary to the Computer Misuse Act.

a mate of mine got in a row in a pub. They guy he was arguing with then got changed into a tracksuit and t shirt and came back in the pub.

They shook hands in the end, but as he was shaking my mates girlfriend's hand he twisted her arm up her back. They ended up fighting and when he went down my pal kicked him in the head ( on camera as well).

despite the guy coming back to the pub clearly agitating for trouble my mate got 12 months.

kicking someone in the head definitely crosses the custody threshold.

I'd guess these guys didn't get sent down because they're soldiers which is bollocks like.

The first judgement on the squaddies is outside the sentencing guidelines. Even the judge remarks it's 'exceptional' in his judgement.

The vast majority of cases are not like this. And no, I don't agree with it. But it's not representative of what would normally happen. 

Hahah, one of the great internet moments:

I turned and started to walk away. As I expected, he did the same, turning his back to me to walk back to his girlfriend. I looked over my shoulder seeing this and used it to my advantage. I swung the pool stick breaking it over his head and knocking him over. When he tried to get up, I punched him in the nose as hard as I could, shattering it instantly. Blood was everywhere. He wouldn't get up to fight me after that, so I spat on him. I looked over at his girl, she was biting her bottom lip hard. I decided to leave before the bizzies showed up, and grabbed her by the wrist taking her with me to show her what a real man can do for her. I liked that pub, but it looks like I'm going to have to lay low for a while.

• Upvote 1