You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coffee

Oh Buoy

9 hours ago, Remmie said:

Anyone want to get a discount from Pact coffee? Fiver off first order. Full disclosure; if you use my code I get a fiver off as well, but once the discount is over I'll fuck them off. Maybe do the same?

I enjoyed the El Campanario Espresso roast. 

Code: ZEB-1F1B80

Sorry its such a dull update NV but glad to see you back. 

Reported to Dave as a post promoting ungentlemanly conduct. 

• 1 month later...

@Remmie-- don't bother with any other filters for the V60 than these: https://www.hario.co.uk/products/hario-v60-coffee-filter-papers-size-02-white-40-pack

I've tried a few now and these specific Hario ones are by far the best: 40 pack, size 02, made in Japan. They've had issues with their other factories, the 100 packs of the "same" filters have a little tab on the top, they're made in the Netherlands and will add 25-35% to your brew time and put you in a right fluffery-buffery. I don't like the taste of the brown ones and neither me nor any coffee-wanker friends have found a third-party brand up to the same standard.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

When KidD was born, I decided that trying to manage a baby and a mini pressure cooker on the hob in the morning was a bit risky. I bought a nespresso machine and put my bialetti moka away. 

Nearly 8 years later, on whim, I decided to get it out of the cupboard, clean it up, bought a new gromit and set it up again. 

Fucking hell, feels like I've been drinking instant for a decade. It's blown my head off and I only need to have one cup rather than the 2+ pods I was using every day. 

Going to pack the old pod machine sway I think, or see if I can take it into work. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@Remmie - I got bought a Fellow Prismo attachment for my Aeropress. It has a drip-proof seal so allows the pressure to build up and a reusable metal filter. It's great! It makes a more espresso-like brew than I've managed from a 'normal' Aeropress and has overtaken the mokka pot as my go-to for when I fancy a milky coffee. I still use the Aeropress without it, for single black coffees. Well worth adding to your wishlist.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
On 16/08/2022 at 07:58, Karl_b said:

@Remmie - I got bought a Fellow Prismo attachment for my Aeropress. It has a drip-proof seal so allows the pressure to build up and a reusable metal filter. It's great! It makes a more espresso-like brew than I've managed from a 'normal' Aeropress and has overtaken the mokka pot as my go-to for when I fancy a milky coffee. I still use the Aeropress without it, for single black coffees. Well worth adding to your wishlist.

Sorry mate, not sure how I missed this from 7 months ago! Just happen to be surfing amazon with a voucher to wield so will take a look

• Upvote 1

Great deal on that grinder. I was recently bought a Flair Signature espresso maker, I love it.

https://flairespresso.com/products/espresso-makers/flair-signature/

I'm still mastering it. I can make a pretty decent home espresso with it already but there's some much more variability than with filter coffee. Still, it's a lovely thing and means I have something new to tinker with and obsess over.

18 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Great deal on that grinder. I was recently bought a Flair Signature espresso maker, I love it.

https://flairespresso.com/products/espresso-makers/flair-signature/

I'm still mastering it. I can make a pretty decent home espresso with it already but there's some much more variability than with filter coffee. Still, it's a lovely thing and means I have something new to tinker with and obsess over.

I think Hoffmann reviewed that, certainly seems familiar anyway. Enjoy!

I decided I wanted to give these hybrid drippers a go and after initially settling on the clever dripper I decided that I preferred the Hario Switch. May plump for that Aeropress Prismo dealy though I do have a coffee machine, so not sure if its justified other than I just want it!

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

I think Hoffmann reviewed that, certainly seems familiar anyway. Enjoy!

I decided I wanted to give these hybrid drippers a go and after initially settling on the clever dripper I decided that I preferred the Hario Switch. May plump for that Aeropress Prismo dealy though I do have a coffee machine, so not sure if its justified other than I just want it!

The Hario Switch is totally new on me, haven't really investigated hybrid drippers, other than Han being bought a Prismo, I guess!

Mate, I'm way past the point of being able to justify coffee equipment, it's all just want at this point! Although in my defence, the last two things were bough for me - the Prismo and Flair. It's not my fault I now need a tamp mat, WDT tool and have to buy both espresso and filter beans.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

The Hario Switch is totally new on me, haven't really investigated hybrid drippers, other than Han being bought a Prismo, I guess!

Mate, I'm way past the point of being able to justify coffee equipment, it's all just want at this point! Although in my defence, the last two things were bough for me - the Prismo and Flair. It's not my fault I now need a tamp mat, WDT tool and have to buy both espresso and filter beans.

Haha, I got a mate to 3d print me a WDT tool with the plans for it off a Hoffmann video! 

Weirdly, I still haven't really got into beans yet. The cheap ones taste as good as the pricey ones to me, tried light and medium roast as well as dark which just seem omnipresent and just can't fathom a consistently better type. I'll open a bag and go oh yeah this is the shit, then by drink 7 it just doesn't stand out any more. 

It's hilarious how bad instant tastes now, drank it for years and thought Millicano was really nice. It's hard to finish a cup now. 

I like that Millicano, really appreciate a good black filter coffee when I’m out and about, but generally will drink most swill offered.

Mrs Curly was out and asked if I needed anything so I asked her to get some coffee. She said the only one they had was this below:

CC0842FA-3F1E-437E-9F43-8E44543AC19D.jpeg

but I assume what she meant was that was the cheapest there. It is fucking terrible. It smells like damp socks and has less taste than cracker bread. 

5DBE137A-CCC5-4083-A75D-27A6A8835178.gif

• Upvote 1

On 25/03/2023 at 11:01, Curly said:

I like that Millicano, really appreciate a good black filter coffee when I’m out and about, but generally will drink most swill offered.

Mrs Curly was out and asked if I needed anything so I asked her to get some coffee. She said the only one they had was this below:

CC0842FA-3F1E-437E-9F43-8E44543AC19D.jpeg

but I assume what she meant was that was the cheapest there. It is fucking terrible. It smells like damp socks and has less taste than cracker bread. 

5DBE137A-CCC5-4083-A75D-27A6A8835178.gif

Yeah I used to be fine with instant and quite enjoy it, can't stand the stuff now. But then when I first started drinking, I would accept a pint of Carling if someone bought it for me and now I would rather drink cat sick, mixed with turps and nescafe. It's literally like that!

An aeropress looks about the most faffy thing imaginable for making coffee. What's so good about the coffee it makes, over and above a french press or italian coffee pot, that you would want to go to so much trouble?

15 hours ago, Moo said:

An aeropress looks about the most faffy thing imaginable for making coffee. What's so good about the coffee it makes, over and above a french press or italian coffee pot, that you would want to go to so much trouble?

I find them similar to use as a French Press. Put your coffee in, add water, leave for about a minute and then press the plunger. Advantages are that it’s slightly quicker, coffee feels cleaner as it goes through a paper filter and a bit easier to clean afterwards. Drawback is that you can only make one coffee at a time.

Definitely easier than a moka pot and more consistent for me

17 hours ago, Moo said:

They're pretty easy to use, not much trouble at all, once you've got the hang of it. I quite like the process! 

They (Aeropress) look like they have at least four parts to clean plus a filter to mess about with, as opposed to say a french press which is two parts including the filter. 

(tried to quote you both but it's not working)

59 minutes ago, Moo said:

They (Aeropress) look like they have at least four parts to clean plus a filter to mess about with, as opposed to say a french press which is two parts including the filter. 

(tried to quote you both but it's not working)

Yeah but they're really easy to clean, easier than getting the coffee from the bottom of a french press and easier than cleaning the filters in them. The coffee puck and paper will pop straight out in to the bin, then the plunger will need a little bit of a wipe but otherwise you can just quickly drop the other bits in the sink for a few seconds. I hardly ever wash the funnel as it only ever has dried grounds on it. 

The Aeropress is always my first recommendation for anyone wanting to try filter coffee, it's dead easy to use and makes consistently good coffee that really draws the flavour out of the beans.

The 'straight out of the box' recipe is fine but after much trial and error I stick with the one from the Hoff:

11g freshly ground beans

200g/ml boiling water

Wait 2 mins

Gentle swirl

Wait 30 seconds

Plunge

Works every time. No need for preheating or pre-wetting of filters, etc either so much easier.

• Upvote 1

On 01/04/2023 at 08:21, Remmie said:

For fucks sake, our kettle broke, so I was forced to buy a pretentious gooseneck pour over kettle with temperature control. For £60+, normal price £90. 

Gutted for you mate. I assume you went with a Hinari?

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Moo said:

An aeropress is the least faffy coffee equipment outside of instant I can think of as the others have mentioned. It has more versatility than the other equipment as you can make a strong espresso style coffee (but not actual espresso) or a longer pour over volume of coffee as it's adaptable and quick to adapt. They are great for travel as they are small, light and don't break easily and highly forgiving of average grind quality.

Whatsmore, when you become a tedious coffee nerd, if you want you can start pissing about with inverted technique, using scales and accessories, only to discover these don't make it any better. I actually started including some of that faff because there wasn't enough faff from the original recipe (I enjoy the whole process). 

In terms of quality, I have an Espresso machine with a milk jug that just gathers dust as aeropress makes infinitely better tasting coffee. I gave away my old pod machine before that and haven't looked back. 

• Upvote 1