You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coffee

Oh Buoy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 07/01/2024 at 18:04, johnsusername said:

In this thread as I have started drinking this poison again after quite a few years.

Wife wanted a Nespresso for Christmas. I got one.

She didn't like it. I got rid of it.

Busted out the old school Moka pot and am happy. And awake.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Asda has put nescafe up by 2 quid. Bastards.

Aldi azziri or whatever the fuck it is is about as good. I am not really a coffee drinker though but every penny spent is a vote if people pay the extra then they'll obviously charge it.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Crazy business model. 

You're drinking a cup of coffee that cost about 28 cents to produce. The cup is probably as expensive as the contents.

Yes the mark up is astonishing. Herbal tea is even crazier, a 15p bag and hot water equals £2.90. Buying Herbal tea is God’s way of telling you that you’ve got way too much disposable income. 

“When I was a kid in Liverpool the nearest cappuccino was in London – and by the time you got it home it was stone cold. Now Liverpool’s streets are so awash with decent coffee you could mistake it for Milan.”

Alexei Sayle 

5 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I’m sitting outside a Starbucks in London looking directly across the road to another Starbucks. Apparently there are 183 in London. Crazy business model. 

IMG_3961.jpeg

Within 500m on the highest and shopping centre we have 2 Costa,2 Starbucks,cafe Nero and Pret. Thats before you start inc the 2 Greg's,2 wenzels and god knows how many shitty fried chicken shops and burger places

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Within 500m on the highest and shopping centre we have 2 Costa,2 Starbucks,cafe Nero and Pret. Thats before you start inc the 2 Greg's,2 wenzels and god knows how many shitty froed chicken shops and burger places

This is why we’re getting fatter as a nation. 

Part of Starbucks' model is to saturate the market, in some instances/areas they don't care if an individual shop makes money so long as the bigger business does. They'll flood an area - as happened in Sheffield - with new stores to monopolise the market, fully expecting a number of those stores to eventually close.

But yeah, there are fucking loads. And their coffee is shit.

Just now, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Bought this at auction in Liverpool my winning bid after commission was £1245, uses coffee beans from East Timor only, no idea why. Coffee only takes 12 hours to come through. Had a Necafe Gold Blend while I was waiting. 

IMG_3710.jpeg

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Part of Starbucks' model is to saturate the market, in some instances/areas they don't care if an individual shop makes money so long as the bigger business does. They'll flood an area - as happened in Sheffield - with new stores to monopolise the market, fully expecting a number of those stores to eventually close.

But yeah, there are fucking loads. And their coffee is shit.

The supermarket model,with adaptation. Drop your prices to kill off the butchers,bakers and candlestick makers until they close and then be the only game in town. Or form a cabal and do the same thing.