You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coffee

Oh Buoy

Have been experimenting with 2 or 3 different coffee beans over the lockdown.  Two of them were Lavazza variants, I think 100% arabica, the latest being Super Crema.  Also did signature blend from Spiller and Tate.  Meh.

Am still wanting to try Hawaii coffee, apparently the best there is, but obviously pricey. 

Have 2 stove tops on the go, and grind my own beans.  Am always on the lookout for new coffee.  Though today am fucking knocked sideways by a bit of IBS, so coffee likely not happening. 

4 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Have been experimenting with 2 or 3 different coffee beans over the lockdown.  Two of them were Lavazza variants, I think 100% arabica, the latest being Super Crema.  Also did signature blend from Spiller and Tate.  Meh.

Am still wanting to try Hawaii coffee, apparently the best there is, but obviously pricey. 

Have 2 stove tops on the go, and grind my own beans.  Am always on the lookout for new coffee.  Though today am fucking knocked sideways by a bit of IBS, so coffee likely not happening. 

Any local roasters near you? I've found one 5 minutes from us and the quality is noticeably better, even for an average priced bag of blended beans. They've started doing single origin stuff and at £7 a bag it's probably the best value coffee I've ever had. Also helps that their customer service is impeccable and they deliver on the day of order to me.

They also deliver more widely: https://cafeology.com/

5 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Are you opening your own coffee shop? £358 makes that a business investment. 

i had a voucher that took it down to £300, and work "rewards card" thing that took another £50 off it, and our work also sent us £100 for working from home supplies. Sold my old machine for £30 too. So only felt £120 out of my pocket.

I can justify most things if I want them enough. Currently trying to justify a tesla. Family's can survive on smart price rice for 15 years, right?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

i had a voucher that took it down to £300, and work "rewards card" thing that took another £50 off it, and our work also sent us £100 for working from home supplies. So only felt £150 out of my pocket.

Hahaha

Hopefully you don't have to try and get the receipt past anyone. 

2 minutes ago, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

Hahaha

Hopefully you don't have to try and get the receipt past anyone. 

i had already bought a monitor and paid it off 2 months ago before they offered, so technically i was getting it for that. But Id already paid for that so used it for the coffee machine.

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Finally got my Aeropress. Is this coffee okay to use in it? Or do I need a different kind?

As you can see, coffee isn't my expert topic. But I'm looking forward to this and it's the only ground coffee in the house (came free with something else).

Ta. 

IMG_20200622_181717189.jpg

As long as the coffee’s ground it’ll work.

They make great coffee and are so much easier to clean than a cafetière 

• Upvote 1

It'll be fine to use @johnsusername but, with the sincerest of snobbery, don't expect anything amazing from Costa brand coffee. Still, give it a go, get used to it and refine the process and then treat yourself to a decent bag of locally roasted and freshly ground beans. Or get yourself a grinder and really push the boat out, it'll make all the difference. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

really, Costa coffee...............

you might be better pouring hot water into an ash tray and drinking that. 

Come on lads, surely there's better local roasters close by....

It came free with something else, so might as well use it while I get to grips with the press. 

10 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

It'll be fine to use @johnsusername but, with the sincerest of snobbery, don't expect anything amazing from Costa brand coffee. Still, give it a go, get used to it and refine the process and then treat yourself to a decent bag of locally roasted and freshly ground beans. Or get yourself a grinder and really push the boat out, it'll make all the difference. 

Where would I find these (magic) beans? 

3 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

It came free with something else, so might as well use it while I get to grips with the press. 

Ah I get you. 

I wouldnt be a huge coffee drinker, but when I do. I want good coffee, but that bitter shite the big chains serve up. 

The last few months with my local coffee shop being closed u started using a bialetti moka pot. 

I tried it before but could never get to grips with it, but after watching a few videos on YouTube and practising, I'm relativity pleased with the end result. 

20200521_104643.jpg

• Upvote 2

I've tried a couple fresh roasted beans and don't really notice any difference compared to a cheapo bag from Aldi. I think I want to experiment with different beans than just Arabica anyway, loved the moka beans when I had coffee in Vietnam, anyone know somewhere to buy them in the UK? 

33 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I've tried a couple fresh roasted beans and don't really notice any difference compared to a cheapo bag from Aldi. I think I want to experiment with different beans than just Arabica anyway, loved the moka beans when I had coffee in Vietnam, anyone know somewhere to buy them in the UK? 

Vietnam was when I started enjoying coffee, it was beautiful. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Where would I find these (magic) beans? 

Are you in Liverpool? If so, I can't help but if you don't mind a few days wait then these guys in Sheffield are good and deliver:

https://cafeology.com/

Check out their single origin stuff, look for a light roast and get it ground. I'd class this as a mid range coffee, it's more expensive than Costa but isn't in the £12+ bracket. For the home coffee fan, they're great and what I use in both the Aeropress and my Moka pot. I rarely go for the really expensive stuff but it's a real treat when I do; it's noticeably better. 

I will also say that despite me saying all this you should just find what you like. I'm particular about how I like my coffee (Aeropress - carefully measured out coffee, the right water temperature, light roast, black / Moka - dark roast, as an oat milk latte) and have honed it for my personal taste. Just try a few roasts, you'll soon find what you like and you won't buy coffee from a chain again!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Remmie said:

In that case, Aldi must sell really great coffee