You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Your own self-made/band music thread

Red Phoenix

I learned this track on guitar. I asked my daughter if she knew it. She said yeah...then sang it for me. I just recorded it in one take. I don't know much about recording or how to post-process music - so this is just as she sang it. You can hear her laugh at my guitar playing at the end. 

• Upvote 4

Loving all this. Been in bands since I was a kid and have always been into unsigned stuff, probably more than mainstream music. Excellent work all round.

Spent the last 2 years (yes, seriously that long) designing and creating an app through which my band will be releasing all its music. As far as we're aware nobody else is doing it, and we've had a good number of downloads so far. Every time we release a new song you get a notification and the song is automatically on the app. Pretty smart.

The app is for iOS and Android at the mo, working on the Windows version now.

That's not really the point of the thread, granted... but if you wanted to have a go you can get it from www.mrmsith.co.uk/app - and here's a couple of tracks for a listen.

https://youtu.be/bUfIR-gFz-8

https://youtu.be/612K5QANiFU

• Upvote 2

Have changed the demo in my previous post. It was rushed and really wasn't happy with it, so have tried to sort it out more.

edit : new page, so just putting it here.

https://soundcloud.com/vedanamusic/demo-elphyne-13

update : third version is now posted here. There's a lot of bassy parts in this track, and it's been an absolute bastard to fix. I realized when putting some older earphones on (that couldn't handle the bass) that it was unlistenable at certain volumes, so have had to tone the bass right down. Not happy really because I liked the heavy bass and it was my favourite tune so far. It's no good if people can't even listen to it though with lower quality headphones/earphones, so it's now (mostly) fixed.

edit : fourth version now. *shakes head*

• 2 weeks later...

here's a few hoary old covers from my pub band's recording last weekend.  I'm singing, and playing keys on the second song.

https://soundcloud.com/the-press-4/thats-it-i-quit

https://soundcloud.com/the-press-4/hold-back-the-night

Good stuff that, the production's very decent too. Wouldn't have thought Hold Back The Night would work, but it did!

• Upvote 1

Im amazed at how good the quality is these days, now that genuine home recording is possible. Back in my day, it was a damn Fostex X-15 (gotta be old to have a clue what that is).

I'm curious about some of you techies though (I'm a techie too, but an old one)....

If you're using Virtual Instruments (synths, drums etc), is there no worry that the VI goes out of business, or is no longer compatible - plus saving all your settings for each VI? Although I love VI's of many of my old synths, it just felt a lot less complicated when it was a physical synth. I just get the feeling that if you wanted to revisit a track 10 years down the line, half the VI's wouldn't work any more?... or do you keep a VI midi track AND make an audio track (just in case) the VI ever dies?

I'm a guitarist by the way, but like many into music, you end up collecting other instruments along the way when dabbling in home studios.

Im amazed at how good the quality is these days, now that genuine home recording is possible. Back in my day, it was a damn Fostex X-15 (gotta be old to have a clue what that is).

I'm curious about some of you techies though (I'm a techie too, but an old one)....

If you're using Virtual Instruments (synths, drums etc), is there no worry that the VI goes out of business, or is no longer compatible - plus saving all your settings for each VI? Although I love VI's of many of my old synths, it just felt a lot less complicated when it was a physical synth. I just get the feeling that if you wanted to revisit a track 10 years down the line, half the VI's wouldn't work any more?... or do you keep a VI midi track AND make an audio track (just in case) the VI ever dies?

I'm a guitarist by the way, but like many into music, you end up collecting other instruments along the way when dabbling in home studios.

Yep, you're always best to adopt a belt and braces approach with any technology.  Perversely, as the technology is getting easier to use, I'm less enamoured with it. 

Yep, you're always best to adopt a belt and braces approach with any technology.  Perversely, as the technology is getting easier to use, I'm less enamoured with it. 

Aye, spending hours choosing a snare drum sound, and still not being happy the day after.

Wasn't happy with the earlier version, couldn't sleep and have worked on it more. Have got a folder stacked with different versions of this now, giving it a rest for a while :

https://soundcloud.com/vedanamusic/demo-elemental-32

Was mainly a guitar player too, still getting used to a lot of this, and it's pretty mad at times. I don't think the virtual instruments, etc, are that much of a problem, as long as you keep the program you're using and back up your files properly. As long as you have those things you should be fine. You're not really going to have compatibility problems either I don't think because there's plenty of file converter's out there and that should also help if you're having issues in the future. Worst case scenario you can probably just use the old program, as long as you have it, and just convert what you have to a .wav file or something to use as a sample.

But yeah, if you're wanting to make sure you have the instruments you made tunes with, the safest option is probably to get each sound file and save the whole lot of them, which is what I'm planning on doing shortly I think (I keep putting it off, probably because it's going to take a while and be pretty annoying.) Already lost a few instruments with a program update and that made me wary fast, so backups seem to be the main thing.

If I stick at this though and have the money in the future, I'll probably get a few analog bits of equipment, as I really prefer to actually play something and/or have the physical dials to turn instead of using a program/using automation tracks to simulate turning dials (which is maddening at times, and you can end up with a lot of different parts of a tune, which can also get confusing to say the least.)

Have just ordered one of these, I think a new obsession is about to begin :

Only concern is being able to record it properly with linux, am hoping audacity will connect with it properly so I can make samples, etc. Am probably going to look for a decent quality drum machine next if possible (korg also seem to have one of those in the same range as this, the volca beats.)