You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BT f***** Infinity Broadband

redheart

I got a great deal on 80 meg broadband and now I know why

The wifi connection to my PC upstairs in my home disconnects 20+ times per day. My wifi device can see networks including BT networks half way down my street but not my own.

I have spoken to the technical help dozens of times and they are shit.

The customer service is utter wank and just leaves me wanting to kill everyone in the world.

Any idea how I can hire someone to kill everyone at BT or failing that a contact for their highest level complaints?

Phone technical services again, mate. Advise them that Tony Manero off the TLW Forums thinks they are a gang of utterly incompetent, fucking useless, wank-stained, cock-nosed, fuck-faced, jibbering cunts. Please emphasise the word "cunts".

This won't help, and you'll have to be dead quick so as they don't phone down on you before you're finished, but I guarantee you'll feel a whole lot better.

Guest Super Sub

I got a great deal on 80 meg broadband and now I know why

The wifi connection to my PC upstairs in my home disconnects 20+ times per day. My wifi device can see networks including BT networks half way down my street but not my own.

I have spoken to the technical help dozens of times and they are shit.

The customer service is utter wank and just leaves me wanting to kill everyone in the world.

Any idea how I can hire someone to kill everyone at BT or failing that a contact for their highest level complaints?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Upvote 1

Well if you've been through all the stuff the help desks would recommend - such as perhaps changing channel on the router - then you're out of luck for free solutions.

Plus, if you're paying for 80meg you'll never see anywhere near that via wi-fi, so a wired solution would at least help you get what you're already paying for.

I'm with BT, not had issues with connection but can slow every once in a while.

I remember it was a fucking nightmare getting it set up. I was with sky and switched to Infinity and the activation date was moved twice meaning I had no internet for around a fortnight despite my contract starting. When I quizzed them the girl on the other end said my area didn't have the internet installed. I had to point out to her that;

1. I'd moved from sky who use BT lines.

2. I can see the exchange from my upstairs window.

3. It isn't the 1980's.

It was sorted a couple of days later.

I used to have all sorts of probs with broadband before I switched to Infinity. The only 'issue' Ive had was that after 18 months solid connection and speed, my speed slowly dropped by 6 meg (down from 54mb to 48).

I had to knock the power off to to fix a socket and when I restored it, found my speed had gone back to 54mb and has stayed there.

Re the OP's wifi disconnects, Id suggest this is a faulty BT Home Hub router. Are you using an HH5 or previous version?

To be honest, I ditched the HH3 they gave me as it was not dual band (think HH5 is dual) and lacked a lot of other features I wanted. He \ she needs to get on the BT forum as their mods work a lot of issues far better than phoning some nark in bombay who just reads from a script.

It is the HH5.0

It is dual band, It is all kinds of shit

Yep. That's why I ditched the HH3 for a Netgear WNDR4500. Even some HH3's had wireless connection issues.

As I said, if you register on the BT Forums for Infinity

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/bd-p/BTInfinity one of the mods normally pick the issues up.

I suspect you've a fault with the HH5.

Bear in mind if you get BT tv, you may not be able to still view this if you use a non BT HH.

Known HH5 connection issues https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Home-Hub-5A-dropping-connection-updates/td-p/1449945

Yeah it's the hub. They're shit. Get them to send you a new one. While you're on the line just say you can't connect despite anything they tell you to do.

It really is worth investing in a good router, regardless of the fact you feel you've paid them. You pay for the service, not the hardware, so it's shite. Bag yourself a good router and your Infinity will be reliable and fast.

Also, you should go into the admin settings in there and turn if you bandwidth sharing. They nab loads of your bandwidth to make BT hotspots.

Their customer service is fucking diabolical.

I've had the same problems, especially of a weekend for some reason, I have the Hub 5 downstairs next to my pc & I use the Hub 4 upstairs as an extender. My pc gets a more reliable wireless signal off the Hub 4 upstairs than the hub 5 right beside it! When it's not fucking dropping out every 10 mins. I'm a right lazy twat though & haven't even complained. Should have stayed with Sky, much cheaper too, but I thought (wrongly) by signing up with BT I'd get Infinity installed quicker as I was only getting 1.5mb before & was too impatient.

Yeah it's the hub. They're shit. Get them to send you a new one. While you're on the line just say you can't connect despite anything they tell you to do.

It really is worth investing in a good router, regardless of the fact you feel you've paid them. You pay for the service, not the hardware, so it's shite. Bag yourself a good router and your Infinity will be reliable and fast.

Also, you should go into the admin settings in there and turn if you bandwidth sharing. They nab loads of your bandwidth to make BT hotspots.

Their customer service is fucking diabolical.

If you turn off your bandwidth sharing on the HH, you cannot access the BT wifi hotspots out and about.

However, if you leave it on then replace the HH with a 3rd party router, the 3rd party router doesnt 'share' your broadband connection (its not the same as guest network) but, you'll still be able to access BT's wifi hotspots and other mugs infinity who are still using an HH and havent switched off sharing.

• Upvote 1

If you turn off your bandwidth sharing on the HH, you cannot access the BT wifi hotspots out and about.

However, if you leave it on then replace the HH with a 3rd party router, the 3rd party router doesnt 'share' your broadband connection (its not the same as guest network) but, you'll still be able to access BT's wifi hotspots and other mugs infinity who are still using an HH and havent switched off sharing.

crafty devil.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

Done that. Did not work!

They have sent me a new router...if this doesn't work I will go on a murder rampage and kill every member of BT

I'd do all the customers too.

• 7 months later...

I'm with BT, not had issues with connection but can slow every once in a while.

I remember it was a fucking nightmare getting it set up. I was with sky and switched to Infinity and the activation date was moved twice meaning I had no internet for around a fortnight despite my contract starting.When I quizzed them the girl on the other end said my area didn't have the internet installed. I had to point out to her that;

1. I'd moved from sky who use BT lines.

2. I can see the exchange from my upstairs window.

3. It isn't the 1980's.

It was sorted a couple of days later.

We're having this problem now. They've sent us a router and the broadband was supposed to switch over yesterday. Nothing happened. Rang them this morning and they've inexplicably cancelled my order two weeks ago. Mrs Turdseye is in a rage on the phone to them now. It's quite the inconvenience because I can't hear the telly over her arguing with them.