You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Raheem Sterling Thread (Part 412)

bouncebrigade

It's embarrassing that they would be prepared to keep sterling and let him go down to his last year when they gave Suarez a release clause when he had two years left, we didn't put up a fight to keep him and it's reported in Spain they signed him for less then the clause.

Sterling is nowhere near as important and taking a massive loss on him just to keep him one more season makes no sense.

Carragher's right. You can't have players holding a gun to a club's head.

If he doesn't want to play for Liverpool, he's not the right sort of player to play anyway.

I'm not sure I'd want him at City either. He'd be doing the same thing with us in a couple of years too. The lad's fucking up his career and reputation.

I just think we are letting our annoyance over a cocky young kid getting a barrel load of cash lead us into a really bad decision to jettison him.

He looks mentally shattered at present & he has been thrown under the bus by his agent in a big way & Rodgers to a lesser extent ( Letting 3 strikers he bought sit on the bench all season while a tiny number 10/winger gets lumps kicked off him up front by yard dogs )

£150k a week sounds a lot but it is £15m over 2 years by which time, if supplemented by a few decent additions he could be amongst the best players in Europe. 

Other than Philippe, I can't suggest anybody else in the squad where that is even a remote possibility.

This exact scenario will play out again in 2 years with Coutinho, then a year after that with Ibe.

We will blame their treacherous agents, the inherent evilness of the player and probably foreign chairmen/bad guys.

We won't blame the club's lack of ambition, or see this as a clearly established pattern which exposes us as the feeder club we have become.

• Upvote 8

I'm pissed with Sterling but what concerns me more is that others may follow him now that Luis and Stevie are no longer here - specifically, Coutinho. He's our one shining light left and isn't a shitbag like Sterling, but who could blame him for having doubts about the club's future when we fail to replace quality players?  

• Upvote 1

This exact scenario will play out again in 2 years with Coutinho, then a year after that with Ibe.

We will blame their treacherous agents, the inherent evilness of the player and probably foreign chairmen/bad guys.

We won't blame the club's lack of ambition, or see this as a clearly established pattern which exposes us as the feeder club we have become.

This.

FSG are as much to blame as anyone here.

• Upvote 1

Fuck that get the money and upgrade, we will never see that kind of money for him again that we will get this summer.

Yeah, because we always do that well. I'd rather waste our money by letting him rot, than waste our money by letting him get his wish and replacing him with shite.

They didn't sell him, they don't want to sell him, he doesn't want to play for us.

I'm not absolving a share of the blame on Sterling.

But an ambitious club do not end up selling one of the best 20 year olds in world football.

Especially as they have spent a fortune trying to buy many others with only a fraction of his talent.

• Upvote 2