You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Raheem Sterling Thread (Part 412)

bouncebrigade

He signed shit aswell which is why he was finishing outside of the cl places, even players you listed were shit signings, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Beckham were all finished when he signed them and didn't contribute.

The only way they could be described as a success would be because of shirt sales and if that's the logic Joe Cole and Balotelli were good signings for us.

And how often did that happen?

From what I can see Ancelotti finished outside of the CL places once in eight years with Milan (by 2 points) and it was a season where they won the club world cup.

Straight swap for Pedro. That way he can reunite with Suarez. He might even get on the pitch with him every 15th game or so for the last handful of minutes. Still, at least he and Neymar can spend all season long having shit-hair competitions. That alone would make him up his game. 

• Upvote 1

He signed shit aswell which is why he was finishing outside of the cl places, even players you listed were shit signings, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Beckham were all finished when he signed them and didn't contribute.

The only way they could be described as a success would be because of shirt sales and if that's the logic Joe Cole and Balotelli were good signings for us.

2009/10 - Appearances 43 Goals 15 Assists 19

That is quite some non contribution.

• Upvote 1

I agree that Balotelli probably had some commerical appeal, but Joe Cole?

On another note, there are question marks over FSG and Brendan, but I don't want to overdo that in regard to this particular issue. Raheem has all the hallmarks of a young player who wants too much too soon, and has an inflated opinion of himself. 

With regard to FSG my main criticism of them is the structure they have put in place at the club, as there doesn't seem to be too much leadership or savvy. But other than that, they are what they are. I don't for one second believe that football courses through their veins. They are businessmen. And whatever sporting passion they possess is surely given over to baseball, as that's their game.

With that said I still think they have been fair in their ownership. When they came in they said they would try to increase revenue streams off the pitch and invest into the team from the money the club earns. They have done that. It's not glamorous, like the sugar daddy models on view at Man City or Chelsea, but it is fair. And it is sustainable. And they are also making progress on the stadium, which has been a difficult and convoluted issue that has been ongoing for more than a decade under previous custodians, who never did anything about it. 

As for the manager, it remains to be seen what happens with him. There are obvious question marks. My personal view is that I'd back him this summer, so the transfers are clearly his, and then see what next season brings. What we saw last season gives him that. I'm not ready to sack him after an iffy season, or else where does that end? We chose to hire a relatively inexperienced man, so now that he has gained more experience with us, through good times and bad, let us see it through. One more season. And we're watching. 

But obviously it's not up to me. I fully expect Brendan to be hauled over to America for a series of debrief meetings with FSG. After this season his position is weaker, so they will either insist on a new structure, perhaps with a DoF, or they will at least lay the law down so Brendan knows exactly where he stands. Or maybe they will simply fire him. Perhaps top four was a requirement for keeping the job? Perhaps they are underwhelmed by the way the money has been spent? Perhaps they have already been sounding out a replacement? 

We'll see, soon enough. 

Ronaldo- 9 goals in 19 games (7.5 million euros)

Balotelli- 1 goal in 15 games (22.2 million euros)

We just have to accept that we're not as big a draw as we once were.

It's happened to Inter, AC Milan etc, so we're not immune to it.

Until we sort our own shit out and start winning things or being genuine contenders on a regular basis, things like this will happen, as they've happened before.

Sterling isn't a Liverpool fan. He has no emotional attachment to the club. He's a professional sportsman.

As the game stands, it's akin to a Tesco check out operator wanting to go and work in Harrod's.

And how often did that happen?

From what I can see Ancelotti finished outside of the CL places once in eight years with Milan (by 2 points) and it was a season where they won the club world cup.

How many clubs did Ancelotti have control of transfers?

Milan - Galliani and Berlusconi.

Juventus - Moggi.

Chelsea - ?

PSG - ?

Real Madrid - Perez

2009/10 - Appearances 43 Goals 15 Assists 19

That is quite some non contribution.

As a comparison, Joe Allen, 2014/5

Appearances (all comps): 30 (25/5)

Goals: 1

Assists: 0

Aerial Duals Won per game: 0.2

Shots per Game: 0.6

Dribbles per Game: 0.5

Key Passes per Game: 0.7

Throughballs (total): 0

Dispossessed per Game: 1.5

Bad Control per Game: 1.1

• Upvote 1

Replacing Sterlings contribution this season is not a big ask, we should be able to get someone who can match his numbers for a lot less then what we will get and if we use the whole fee on one player (I doubt it) we should be able to get someone who will better his numbers.

Agree with all of this, apart from one nagging doubt about us actually managing to make this happen.

We just have to accept that we're not as big a draw as we once were.

It's happened to Inter, AC Milan etc, so we're not immune to it.

Until we sort our own shit out and start winning things or being genuine contenders on a regular basis, things like this will happen, as they've happened before.

Sterling isn't a Liverpool fan. He has no emotional attachment to the club. He's a professional sportsman.

As the game stands, it's akin to a Tesco check out operator wanting to go and work in Harrod's.

Inter Milan have signed Medel, Shaqiri, and Podolski this season. Despite being a bit shit at the moment, they appear to have declined the opportunity to accept a gentle path into obscurity.

It is Friday. The place Anfield. Ian Ayre discusses Raheem Sterling with manager Brendan Rodgers before meeting the player and his agent.

BR - Right Ian ( checks tan in mirror ) you know what we discussed. Sign the £100k contract with a minimum 1 year were he has to remain at the club and a £50m buy out clause or rot on a measly £30k a week.

IA - Yes Brendan ( removes retro bike helmet ) hardball all the way. No retreat no surrender.

Sterling and his agent enter the room. The offer is put to the player and his representative.

RS - I want £175k a week now fam, and I is well able to sign in it.

Brendan Rodgers stares a steely stare at Raheem. Ian joins the fray.

IA - Err ok Raheem no probs, sign here. Fancy a piggy back ?

Rodgers looks on in terror, Raheem signs his new contract with a grin.

IA - Done !

RS - You as bin bruv.

It is early July and young Raheem turns up for pre - season training alongside new recruits James Milner and Danny Ings.

He approaches Brendan after training and asks for a word.

RS - Yo ! Gervais. I is wantin outta this yard asap blood. I wants CL and honours and shit.

BR - But you only just signed a massive contract with no built in minimum stay or sell out clause. Oh fuck. Iaaaaaaaannnnn !

A portly man heads away from Melwood on a rented Harley. " Born to be wild "can be heard in the distance.

Inter Milan have signed Medel, Shaqiri, and Podolski this season. Despite being a bit shit at the moment, they appear to have declined the opportunity to accept a gentle path into obscurity.

Cardiff City player, half decent.

Deemed not good enough for Bayern.

Arsenal reject, whose club record is woeful compared to his international record.

Not top notch signings. I think this proves the point I'm trying to make.

• Upvote 2

Arsenal reject, whose club record is woeful compared to his international record.

Medel and Shaqiri are comfortably better than any of the shit we've signed in the past year.

I'll give you Podolski though

Medel would be the best midfielder at the club. If he's "half decent" then Henderson and Allen are "fucking appalling".

"Deemed not good enough for Bayern Munich". Jesus christ, that would be the case for arguably every single one of our players.

Podolski has scored 144 goals his career, often playing out wide.

I think it very much does not prove the point you were making. Even if our entire transfer business for the summer was to sign just those three players it would probably be better than what we're going to do.

• Upvote 1

How many clubs did Ancelotti have control of transfers?

Milan - Galliani and Berlusconi.

Juventus - Moggi.

Chelsea - ?

PSG - ?

Real Madrid - Perez

I don't think he ever has, at least not to the extent you'd expect from someone of his standing, he seems more than happy to accept coaching being his primary role.

As a comparison, Joe Allen, 2014/5

Appearances (all comps): 30 (25/5)

Goals: 1

Assists: 0

Aerial Duals Won per game: 0.2

Shots per Game: 0.6

Dribbles per Game: 0.5

Key Passes per Game: 0.7

Throughballs (total): 0

Dispossessed per Game: 1.5

Bad Control per Game: 1.1

Indispensable.

They signed Medel off the back of him getting relegated with Cardiff, and Podoslki (who from what I gather has been complete and utter wank there) on loan from Arsenal. It's hardly comparable the days of them signing Ronaldo or Ibrahimovic is it?

• Upvote 2