You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Raheem Sterling Thread (Part 412)

bouncebrigade

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

The cynical part of me would probably agree with you but that's not Sterling's fault.  He can only say or do what he thinks his best when he perceives racist sentiments towards black players.  For that, I respect him.

I'm not saying it is his fault. I just don't believe the award is a reflection of anyone's believe that he's the best player in the country (which he clearly isn't), nor is it some sign of respect for what he's said regarding racism.

12 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I'm not saying it is his fault. I just don't believe the award is a reflection of anyone's believe that he's the best player in the country (which he clearly isn't), nor is it some sign of respect for what he's said regarding racism.

For me there's an objective argument that he's been one of the best attacking players this season based on the numbers he's putting up for goals/assists and his all round game, which has matured considerably under Guardiola. 

It may or may not be a sign of respect for his views promoting anti-racism, I don't know either way, but assuming you're correct then I still don't begrudge him the award.  I just think it reflects better on us Liverpool fans in this instance if we say "fair enough, well played".  It makes us look a bit petty and smalltime otherwise. 

I just don’t think, objectively, he’s been city’s best player, or better than a number of our best players. He’s had a great season, fair enough, well played, and he made a stand on racism - good to see. Lots of players are taking a principled stance on the issue and that’s very welcome. 

• 2 years later...