You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Raheem Sterling Thread (Part 412)

bouncebrigade

• 10 months later...
31 minutes ago, TK421 said:

It's time we put aside football rivalries, for a brief moment, and congratulate Raheem for picking up his award.  He deserves it.

Does he fuck. Yes the S*n ,Daily Mail etc are cunts for all those stories about him. We already knew that. Does that mean he deserves the award? No it doesn’t.He’s improved a hell of a lot the past year or two but I could name at least 5 players more deserving of the award this year. 

• Upvote 2

I'm certain the day will come when he's outted as a cunt. He is starting to get the Harry Kane , Wayne Rooney treatment from referees too.

Alexander Lacazette got a vote for football writers player of the year, Virgil won the one that really matters.

2 hours ago, Johnny Utah said:

Does he fuck. Yes the S*n ,Daily Mail etc are cunts for all those stories about him. We already knew that. Does that mean he deserves the award? No it doesn’t.He’s improved a hell of a lot the past year or two but I could name at least 5 players more deserving of the award this year. 

There's a pretty solid argument that he's been the most consistent attacking player in the Premier League this season.  With 17 goals he's joint sixth in the golden boot race and with 10 assists he's the fifth highest in that category.  There aren't really any other players with comparable figures in both categories, except for Eden Hazard who is one of two other players to appear in the top ten for both categories with 16 goals and 13 assists (the other is Callum Wilson).  So I'd be interested to hear who your five players are.  I assume Virgil is one, who are the other four you have ahead of Sterling?

Always been a very good player who has now become close to world class. I think any team in the world would love to have him at least in their squad. That said, he doesn't deserve the award.

Bernardo Silva has been their best player this season but even then City's strength is far more collective and I don't think any of their players stood out enough to win one of the Player of the Year awards. Objectively, van Dijk should have won both.

The newly-elected FWA chair, Carrie Brown, said: “Raheem Sterling is a player of style and a man of substance. More than 70 years ago Charles Buchan, one of the founding fathers of the Football Writers’ Association, suggested there be an award presented to the player who by ‘precept and example’ is considered the Footballer of the Year.

“Raheem Sterling is an exemplar of the talent and values our founding fathers sought to reward when they established the FWA in 1947. To have been voted the 2019 Footballer of the Year by our members, and with such an overwhelming majority, clearly acknowledges the contribution from a player over one season. “But it also recognises the huge impact of Raheem’s courage to challenge preconceptions and fight racism, which will leave a legacy not just for future generations in football but society as a whole. Eyes have been opened, voices found, we are listening and will be at the forefront of the continued drive for equality.

“On the pitch, Raheem has evolved into one of the most dangerous forwards in the world. A player long admired for his tactical intelligence, link-up play and quick feet has now added a devastating finish to his game.

“The Manchester City forward’s Champions League opener against Tottenham at the Etihad Stadium drew comparisons with Lionel Messi’s goal against Manchester United. Are we approaching a time where Barcelona’s maestro will be forced to cast a watchful glance over his dropped shoulder at the rising star of Sterling?”

lmao

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

There's a pretty solid argument that he's been the most consistent attacking player in the Premier League this season.  With 17 goals he's joint sixth in the golden boot race and with 10 assists he's the fifth highest in that category.  There aren't really any other players with comparable figures in both categories, except for Eden Hazard who is one of two other players to appear in the top ten for both categories with 16 goals and 13 assists (the other is Callum Wilson).  So I'd be interested to hear who your five players are.  I assume Virgil is one, who are the other four you have ahead of Sterling?

I would have VVD, Mane, Bernardo Silva, Agüero and even Hazard ahead of him. I’m sure Big Virg will sleep well tonight regardless of what the ‘football writers’ think. Clearly a case of one or two influential writers thinking Sterling deserves it then the rest of them following suit once there’s a bit of momentum behind it.

1 hour ago, moof said:

The newly-elected FWA chair, Carrie Brown, said: “Raheem Sterling is a player of style and a man of substance. More than 70 years ago Charles Buchan, one of the founding fathers of the Football Writers’ Association, suggested there be an award presented to the player who by ‘precept and example’ is considered the Footballer of the Year.

“Raheem Sterling is an exemplar of the talent and values our founding fathers sought to reward when they established the FWA in 1947. To have been voted the 2019 Footballer of the Year by our members, and with such an overwhelming majority, clearly acknowledges the contribution from a player over one season. “But it also recognises the huge impact of Raheem’s courage to challenge preconceptions and fight racism, which will leave a legacy not just for future generations in football but society as a whole. Eyes have been opened, voices found, we are listening and will be at the forefront of the continued drive for equality.

“On the pitch, Raheem has evolved into one of the most dangerous forwards in the world. A player long admired for his tactical intelligence, link-up play and quick feet has now added a devastating finish to his game.

“The Manchester City forward’s Champions League opener against Tottenham at the Etihad Stadium drew comparisons with Lionel Messi’s goal against Manchester United. Are we approaching a time where Barcelona’s maestro will be forced to cast a watchful glance over his dropped shoulder at the rising star of Sterling?”

lmao

Added a devastating finish to his game?

A09B034D-F5B3-452F-9610-B0A7BBEA837C.gif

14 minutes ago, Johnny Utah said:

I would have VVD, Mane, Bernardo Silva, Agüero and even Hazard ahead of him. I’m sure Big Virg will sleep well tonight regardless of what the ‘football writers’ think. Clearly a case of one or two influential writers thinking Sterling deserves it then the rest of them following suit once there’s a bit of momentum behind it.

I don't think there's much in it between the players you mention so don't begrudge Sterling getting the nod.  Virgil has been the standout performer, although I do think Alisson has also made a huge difference in transforming our defence which tends to get overlooked a little with all of the praise heaped upon Virgil.  

Sterling was brave in calling out the newspapers for the way they report matters relating to black players.  It probably shouldn't be taken into account but if it makes just one journalist reflect upon the way they word their headlines it will have been a worthwhile exercise, in my opinion.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I don't think there's much in it between the players you mention so don't begrudge Sterling getting the nod.  Virgil has been the standout performer, although I do think Alisson has also made a huge difference in transforming our defence which tends to get overlooked a little with all of the praise heaped upon Virgil.  

Sterling was brave in calling out the newspapers for the way they report matters relating to black players.  It probably shouldn't be taken into account but if it makes just one journalist reflect upon the way they word their headlines it will have been a worthwhile exercise, in my opinion.

Can’t argue with that last paragraph. I do think the little shit would be great in our system now and would be perfectly suited to us under Klopp. He’d have to settle for a place on the bench though!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, moof said:

lmao

Where the American Civil War, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, the US civil rights movement, the LA riots and the Toxteth riots failed in bringing the knowledge of racism to a wider world - mere whimpers in the dark - Raheem Sterling has succeeded. Hat’s off.

6 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Where the American Civil War, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, the US civil rights movement, the LA riots and the Toxteth riots failed in bringing the knowledge of racism to a wider world - mere whimpers in the dark - Raheem Sterling has succeeded. Hat’s off.

It comes across as really smalltime, this.  Nobody is saying he's the next Martin Luther King but let's still give credit where it's due.  

38 minutes ago, TK421 said:

But that isn't what has or will happen though, is it? What's happened is that a collection of some of the biggest cunts on the planet have seized an opportunity to try and look like slightly lesser cunts for a brief period.

19 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

But that isn't what has or will happen though, is it? What's happened is that a collection of some of the biggest cunts on the planet have seized an opportunity to try and look like slightly lesser cunts for a brief period.

The cynical part of me would probably agree with you but that's not Sterling's fault.  He can only say or do what he thinks is best when he perceives racist sentiments towards black players.  For that, I respect him.