You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Raheem Sterling Thread (Part 412)

bouncebrigade

at 49m City must feel he's worth it (or they'd not pay it), and I'm sure they (now) see him as a long term solution, but that stuff can go out the window in the space of a season.

It only takes a new manager to come in and dislike his style or attitude, and he'd be on the market. I mean look at what's happened at Liverpool. Few would have seen this outcome just over a year ago.

Not having a go at Sterling, it can happen with any player / team. Aguero could fall out with Pellegrini tomorrow, and before you know it, he's looking for a way out. 

If he lasts 5 years at City he'll have done well by modern footballer standards, and by definition must have been a success.

Sterling will do well at city getting played through by players like Silva and having Aguero putting away half chances he gives him.

We'll probably have to see the cunt lift the title before we do but we have got a fair fee regardless, for him to be worth more then that he will have to go on and be one of the best players in the world which is far from guarenteed.

Like any set of fans though, one bad season and a few sulky performances and fans will quickly turn. It's in his hands, but we'll be no more forgiving than any set of fans, and then all of a sudden, that fee and the wages WILL be used against him. It's what fans do.

• Upvote 1

Let's be honest here if Chelsea wanted him he'd be there, ideally he wanted Arsenal didn't he.

Knew a bit about him for a few years but didn't want to behave like a BS cab driver. Not sour grapes by any means but allegedly he is as big a shit as we think. And allegedly this came from a relative of his mrs. Good fucking riddance. Give it 2/3 years and if he is still at City he'll be on 350k a week to stop the toys coming out of the pram ala Rooney.

No offence FC, but from the outside, City's squad management in recent years has looked as bad as ours, considering the riches available and the positions of either club.

The succession of less than nippy CFs used as one-dimensional pivots for Aguero, the addition of another DM, and some ageing fullbacks who're bang average on their day just seems weird. I understand why you've signed Sterling, but I can't help but feel that it similarly looks past a glaring hole or two, much like our recruitment always seems to. 

Out of interest, who signs the players at City?

I can just imagine him scoring against Liverpool but then not celebrating his goal out of 'respect' for his old club.

I can actually imagine him doing an Adebayor and running the whole length of the pitch to celebrate in front of our Kop.

• Upvote 1

No offence FC, but from the outside, City's squad management in recent years has looked as bad as ours, considering the riches available and the positions of either club.

The succession of less than nippy CFs used as one-dimensional pivots for Aguero, the addition of another DM, and some ageing fullbacks who're bang average on their day just seems weird. I understand why you've signed Sterling, but I can't help but feel that it similarly looks past a glaring hole or two, much like our recruitment always seems to. 

Out of interest, who signs the players at City?

It's not been good. Demichelis has been adequate, but we was (imo) bought as a stop gap. Mangala might come good, but hasn't so far, and Navas has been disappointing (but a lot of City fans think otherwise). Fernando poor, but Fernandinho decent.

Still, it's not exactly 'pressing on' with quality is it?

Txiki Begiristain is supposedly at the helm for transfers, but it's all a bit murky, like Liverpool, about who is choosing the players vs who is negotiating etc. 

The FFP restrictions have in part been used as some sort of mitigation, but that doesn't really stack up. City have spent plenty and the buys haven't really improved us, which is the ultimate measure.

Like I say, Mangala MIGHT come good and might have first season syndrome etc, but that remains to be seen. Diego Costa had no such problems, nor did Sanchez, but arguably those two were exceptional buys and not the norm.

I can't see why City would blow a fortune now, if they expect Guardiola next summer (a tall order in my opinion). If they're sticking with Pelligrini, then he's going to have to win the league to keep his job, and I'm not sure Sterling alone will be enough.

I can see City having a poor season as things stand. If they get De Bruyne and Pogba, it could be another story, but I think we're too attack minded (like Liverpool were when they came 2nd) and ultimately it'll cost us.

The homegrown rule isn't helping either, but we've known about that for ages and let it become an issue. Only ourselves to blame for that.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Sterling and I question his character, so I'm uninspired by the signing. I know he can rip defences apart when he's on song and with good players, but I just can't shirk the feeling that he IS actually a bit of a prima donna, and he'll pull a similar stunt somewhere down the line at City.

• Upvote 2

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Sterling and I question his character, so I'm uninspired by the signing. I know he can rip defences apart when he's on song and with good players, but I just can't shirk the feeling that he IS actually a bit of a prima donna, and he'll pull a similar stunt somewhere down the line at City.

If you do actually turn him into the player that some people (especially him) seem to think he is now, I give you two years before he's pulling the same kind of shit to get his move to either Barca or Real if they start sniffing around him.  That dopey cunt Ward will be wanking himself to death if that happens, or maybe getting Raheem's ma to do it for him.

• Upvote 1

It's not been good. Demichelis has been adequate, but we was (imo) bought as a stop gap. Mangala might come good, but hasn't so far, and Navas has been disappointing (but a lot of City fans think otherwise). Fernando poor, but Fernandinho decent.

Still, it's not exactly 'pressing on' with quality is it?

Txiki Begiristain is supposedly at the helm for transfers, but it's all a bit murky, like Liverpool, about who is choosing the players vs who is negotiating etc. 

The FFP restrictions have in part been used as some sort of mitigation, but that doesn't really stack up. City have spent plenty and the buys haven't really improved us, which is the ultimate measure.

Like I say, Mangala MIGHT come good and might have first season syndrome etc, but that remains to be seen. Diego Costa had no such problems, nor did Sanchez, but arguably those two were exceptional buys and not the norm.

I can't see why City would blow a fortune now, if they expect Guardiola next summer (a tall order in my opinion). If they're sticking with Pelligrini, then he's going to have to win the league to keep his job, and I'm not sure Sterling alone will be enough.

I can see City having a poor season as things stand. If they get De Bruyne and Pogba, it could be another story, but I think we're too attack minded (like Liverpool were when they came 2nd) and ultimately it'll cost us.

The homegrown rule isn't helping either, but we've known about that for ages and let it become an issue. Only ourselves to blame for that.

He is not a prima donna. He is actually pretty solid and takes a knock and gets his foot in. His all round game is good just his finishing which is lacking. That may come but if  he is to supply the bullets for Aguero I think it will work. Blistering pace and strong.

He'll thrive with City. With attacking options around him he won't get marked as tightly and will have plenty of room, the way he did when he was playing with Luis and Sturridge. Last season he was marked well and with the shit options available other teams could keep a closer eye on him.

• Upvote 1

He is not a prima donna. He is actually pretty solid and takes a knock and gets his foot in. His all round game is good just his finishing which is lacking. That may come but if  he is to supply the bullets for Aguero I think it will work. Blistering pace and strong.

I'm not talking about on the pitch, but off it.

They won't pay him 200k a week, will they...

Who knows?

Concensus is that's media guesswork as the deal is so new, only a handful will know, and they won't be putting him on top whack and risk other bigger names getting upset.

City have shifted their wage structure in the last 18 months to be a lower salary and bigger bonuses, so I doubt the 200K figure.  Nothing's impossible though.

In theory if he really did only want the medals, then 100K should easily be enough, but suspect it might be 120K ish - I really am guessing there though.

Who knows?

Concensus is that's media guesswork as the deal is so new, only a handful will know, and they won't be putting him on top whack and risk other bigger names getting upset.

City have shifted their wage structure in the last 18 months to be a lower salary and bigger bonuses, so I doubt the 200K figure. Nothing's impossible though.

In theory if he really did only want the medals, then 100K should easily be enough, but suspect it might be 120K ish - I really am guessing there though.

I make you right.

If they do pay him that they're gonna have Aguero et al in asking for 300k, surely.

Dont honestly give a fuck what city pay him.

Fact is it would be funny if they did pay him 180k - 200k a week. Then watch the city fans get on his back when he constantly goes down blind alleys, falls over and misses open goals from 4 or 5 yards al la newcastle.

Made yer bed, now fucking lie in it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

He is not a prima donna. He is actually pretty solid and takes a knock and gets his foot in. His all round game is good just his finishing which is lacking. That may come but if he is to supply the bullets for Aguero I think it will work. Blistering pace and strong.

Wait until he gets his first major hamstring injury, that will sort out that pace.

His delivery is poor as well generally, it suffers from the same problem his finishing does.

Who knows?

City have shifted their wage structure in the last 18 months to be a lower salary and bigger bonuses, so I doubt the 200K figure. Nothing's impossible though.

I think you are under quoting there. He has gone for huge money and this has been driven by his agent - this is cash in time and i dont think the city fans can quite believe it . Ten mil a year has been put out there and i dont think there is any chance he would leave for 20k more than we were offering - this move was for money and that is as clear as day.

City have been rubbish in europe and struggled in the league, there is no guarantee of trophies at city. I expect the boss to get the sack this year too.

If this was about trophies he would have gone to Chelsea.

I think you are under quoting there. He has gone for huge money and this has been driven by his agent - this is cash in time and i dont think the city fans can quite believe it . Ten mil a year has been put out there and i dont think there is any chance he would leave for 20k more than we were offering - this move was for money and that is as clear as day.

City have been rubbish in europe and struggled in the league, there is no guarantee of trophies at city. I expect the boss to get the sack this year too.

If this was about trophies he would have gone to Chelsea.

It's not all his agent, he's the one telling the agent what to do on his behalf.

There would have been enough sensible influences at Liverpool to talk him round IF he wanted to be talked round, regardless of his agent.

His agent might be a prick, but he was a prick with Sterling's blessing. Not once did Sterling choose to ditch his agent despite most of the world telling him he probably should. That, to me, says he was fine with it all.

Chelsea didn't come in for him. He can't go where he's not wanted.

I don't mind if he's in it for the money. If he plays well, nobody cares. If he's crap, then he'll be moved on, and we lose a pile of money. There's nothing new under the sun.

• Upvote 1