You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Raheem Sterling Thread (Part 412)

bouncebrigade

Although I'm not sure I really agree with Hades (save for agreeing that a small group of really cretinous twats will sub consciously find it much easier to distant themselves from Sterling because of cultural perceptions) do you really think that the racism is as clear cut as "Well, no-one mentioned his colour!"?

He, and most of the thick cunts on here do.

Thing is we're judging him as if he was 27 not 20. He's obviosuly not the finished article, but does possess the skills to become a top player. He'll probably go on to be that player for Arsenal, but if we spend the money correctly I don't think we'll miss him. He doesn't have the love of the fans to be missed, nor has he preformed at a high enough level for us to be saying 'We really miss Sterling' in 6 months time. The only real disappointment is he'll not develop into the player he could/should for us.

I don't think he's a cunt for wanting to leave like some. Nor do I think his behaviour is that of a cunt. He just seems like most young millionaires. Hardly something that gets a rise out of me, life's too short for that shit.

He was plain shit yesterday. I dont often agree with the goon who sits behind me in the ground but the manager must have been shit scared to take him off in that game for fear he'd fuck off to arsenal or elsewhere which, he's very likely to do anyway in my opinion.

There were some grumblings of discontent late in the second half when he looked like he didnt give a fuck with one or two balls.

Sterling has the potential to be a great player but I think that in his head he severed his connection with Liverpool months back. I think the time he spent playing with Suarez convinced him that his game would improve significantly with better players around him. Better players also means more space to play the way he wants to. You only had to look at the way he acted around Suarez. There has been no repeat of that behaviour this season.

• Upvote 6

Sterling has the potential to be a great player but I think that in his head he severed his connection with Liverpool months back. I think the time he spent playing with Suarez convinced him that his game would improve significantly with better players around him. Better players also means more space to play the way he wants to. You only had to look at the way he acted around Suarez. There has been no repeat of that behaviour this season.

I think this is probably the best post on the subject. 

I think he's still young and developing. We've seen these months long peaks and troughs in his form before. I - like many others - wanted him loaned to a Championship club for 2013/14, and we all know how he kicked on from there.

His problems right now are the same as the rest of the side. When we're not pressing as a unit he looks lost and half arsed, and without movement in front of him creating space he bottles it or takes the wrong option. I'm not sure these are issues of ability as much as mentality, and that's a weakness that's spreading through the whole team like a virus.

I'd still prefer he stayed as I think his best years are ahead of him, and I'm not sure this season is the right one to judge any player on. Plus there's the question of how well we'd spend the money.

Go fuck yourself Raheem Sterling.

He thinks he is Messi from Kingston. He probably hasn't watched Messi playing lately. Sell him. The problem is with Ayre's negotiating power, he wouldn't fetch more than £15-18m which the Yesman would spend on some of his dream shite from Sunderland or Swansea.

Lose Lose situation again for the team. But Sterling needs to fuck off. 

If I was him I'd fuck off as well. I wouldn't want to play for the pseudo-psychologists and impatient fan base of ours either. The lad fucked up with that interview, but he's 20 years old. Ryan Giggs had been the greatest thing since Best, and then started to struggle for a couple of years at that age too.

We're a bunch of moaning pricks. Moan that we can't get the top players, so we actually get one that will be a top, top, player (trademark of the Redknaap family), and unless he's playing like Suarez every week, then fuck him off.

What's the fucking point? Last season was the most enjoyable of my life, and I'm old enough to have watched us when we last won the title, but it will prove to be yet another weight around the neck of the club. 

If I was him I'd fuck off as well. I wouldn't want to play for the pseudo-psychologists and impatient fan base of ours either. The lad fucked up with that interview, but he's 20 years old. Ryan Giggs had been the greatest thing since Best, and then started to struggle for a couple of years at that age too.

We're a bunch of moaning pricks. Moan that we can't get the top players, so we actually get one that will be a top, top, player (trademark of the Redknaap family), and unless he's playing like Suarez every week, then fuck him off.

What's the fucking point? Last season was the most enjoyable of my life, and I'm old enough to have watched us when we last won the title, but it will prove to be yet another weight around the neck of the club. 

The fans are patient. What they wont stand for though is half arsed couldnt careless showings from someone who's demanding £150k a week, never mind whether he truely wants to stay or go.

His form has been an absolute car crash since that interview. Said he wanted to 'concentrate on his football' didnt he? So when's he going to start this period of concentration then?

The fans are patient. What they wont stand for though is half arsed couldnt careless showings from someone who's demanding £150k a week, never mind whether he truely wants to stay or go.

His form has been an absolute car crash since that interview. Said he wanted to 'concentrate on his football' didnt he? So when's he going to start this period of concentration then?

The fans are patient are they? OK.

He's a fucking kid not a cyborg. We all have good days and bad days. I wouldn't mind, but it's ok to talk a good game, but it seems people like you have never been affected by anything that's affected your work performance.

And then we go to the wage demands - it's all just predictably boring. 

The fans are patient are they? OK.

He's a fucking kid not a cyborg. We all have good days and bad days. I wouldn't mind, but it's ok to talk a good game, but it seems people like you have never been affected by anything that's affected your work performance.

And then we go to the wage demands - it's all just predictably boring. 

Did you hear a shit load of boo-ing through this season?

So he's a kid at 20? Fuck me a 34 year old soon to be 35 showed more gumption than him.

Obviously you're ok with someone demanding 150 grand a week having up and down performances. I think a consistently high level of performances should be apparent if you want that sort of cash a week.

If you cant maintain the performance level, dont expect the payment.

Did you hear a shit load of boo-ing through this season?

So he's a kid at 20? Fuck me a 34 year old soon to be 35 showed more gumption than him.

Obviously you're ok with someone demanding 150 grand a week having up and down performances. I think a consistently high level of performances should be apparent if you want that sort of cash a week.

If you cant maintain the performance level, dont expect the payment.

And this highlights again the "shitness of modern football". A lack of boo-ing is now the equivalent of patience.

Yes, he is a fucking kid at 20. I would expect that of a 34/35yr old, precisely because he isn't a kid.

Wages are irrelevant to me, because the figures mentioned are just unfathomable to normal people living within a normal salary range, but would I like him to get a new contract? Yes, because I think he'll go on to develop into a quality player. Not a Messi or Ronaldo, but certainly a player I'd rather keep at the club now, than be turned down by if we were trying to sign someone of that quality, from say, a Dortmund.

For the last few months he looks like he has been playing with his head elsewhere. You expect flaws from a young player, but there doesn't seem to be any 'oomph' in what he is doing. No desire. No battling. The slightest contact and he goes down. Decision making iffy. Shooting very poor. 

Now, from what we've already seen of the player, we know he is much better than this, and we have every reason to believe he will go on to be a very good player, so on the one hand we should keep him. However, if he is already mentally checked out from Liverpool, and merely going through the motions until he goes back to London, or perhaps Man City, then it is in everyone's interests that we sell. Provided the price is right. 

And this last point might be a reason for his poor form. When he was fizzing he looked every bit a 50M player (given the age, nationality, and new tv deal). Nowadays he barely looks worth 30M, and if he goes for that sort of sum then it will really stick in the throat. It's probably too much of a stretch, but I half wonder if he is playing in such a way so as to keep the price down, knowing that there will be more potential suitors for him. If it's 50M then I can see Arsenal dropping out of the running, but at 30M they will be right in there, along with others of course...