You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Negative scanners

Trumo

Are they worth it?

My dad's got a whole bunch of old photos and negatives that he wants digital copies of. Rather than scan the old photos which would take an age (before you factor in the time needed to edit them), I'm looking to scan the negatives instead as I'm sure there are some photos missing for which we've still got the negatives.

Any recommendations?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If it's for a one off job, you can take them to a photo place and get them done. I would only buy one if I was regularly shooting with film and needed to digitise them myself.

It's too big for a one-off job as we are talking about at least 1000 photos here. I've seen what appear to be pretty decent scanners for around £40 as well as others that are around £100 or more, and I guess what I'm really asking is whether spending £40 on one of these will do a good enough job.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Veho one and it's fine - but it will all depend what condition the negatives are in. What I thought were pretty pristine, actually turned out to be scratched and generally shite. Also scanned some slides and all the colours had screwed up as they were about 50 years old.

Would you use it again? - might be worth looking on eBay?