You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Parenting Thread

Paul

Took the wee man out on his bike for the first time today, umpteen diva strops, refusing to pedal forwards, any helpful suggestions met with 'I'm tired', said he hates his bike & kept moaning that he wanted to go to the shops instead.

The good news was that I managed to remain calm & said I will take him out again next week for another go.

Thank Christ we have a babysitter tonight because I need a drink after that.

• Upvote 1

Skids Jr is Victor Meldrew. 

Anything you siggest or offer is welcomed with a moaning response that drives my always chilled out other half to point of apoplectic rage. 

Take seeing Santa this morning as a recent example. First outing as a family with our 12 day old baby girl and he’s moaned fuck about getting Lego as a gift. He fucking lives Lego as well. 

Wouldnt swapped the moaning fucker for anything in the world though. 

Hes been boss (as he always has been to be fair to him) since he became

a big brother (he had chicken pox the day after she arrived so we had to play it safe and keep him quarantined in his room as a precaution. He had an I-pad to help him pass the time along with his Lego.) Just finished his first term of school and after a shaky aggressive start, he’s settled in and has come on loads with his development. Has turned in to a bit of a male chauvinistic pig towards his Mum and Nan’s by saying things like “Why aren’t you in the kitchen” and “Only ladies can go in the kitchen to make things” I am trying to find out where he has got this from as we don’t promote that attitude. It is funny though. 

25 minutes ago, Mook said:

Took the wee man out on his bike for the first time today, umpteen diva strops, refusing to pedal forwards, any helpful suggestions met with 'I'm tired', said he hates his bike & kept moaning that he wanted to go to the shops instead.

The good news was that I managed to remain calm & said I will take him out again next week for another go.

Haven’t they watched the films? Why don’t they play properly when it comes to these parent child bonding moments?

Teaching them to ride a bike is absolutely back breaking too. My dad did a brilliant job of teaching them both

22 minutes ago, Champ said:

Haven’t they watched the films? Why don’t they play properly when it comes to these parent child bonding moments?

Teaching them to ride a bike is absolutely back breaking too. My dad did a brilliant job of teaching them both

I have literally done my back pushing him about. Next week it'll be peddling or standing still which I watch.

My daughter is five and has never really picked up on me swearing. I mean, she knows which ones are the naughty words but she’s never had the nerve to say one. 

Was sat here about half an hour ago. She was sat in between me and Mrs Turdseye playing some fashion game on an old iPhone. Next thing you know the battery dies and she blurts out “Oh, BOLLOCKS” and then her face dropped and she immediately followed up with an apology and reached out for a hug. 

Me and my missus just burst out laughing but the little one burst straight into tears. Took about ten minutes to calm her down. Had to keep a straight face while I tucked her into bed but I’m still chuckling to myself now. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/22/2018 at 1:27 PM, Mook said:

Can you get him to balance whilst you push him along by the seat?  Knacks your back but because you are behind once you get to a decent pace they can’t feel when you let go.  

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 5:33 PM, Mook said:

Fuck Peppa Pig off she's a tory prick & get The Amazing World of Gumball on.

Amazing_World_of_Gumball_Wattersons.png

Going back to this, have you seen the one where it’s based on “House Of Cards” for the class President? 

They basically have the character being Frank throughout (talking to the camera explaining what he is doing and why) it’s genius. 

5 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Going back to this, have you seen the one where it’s based on “House Of Cards” for the class President? 

They basically have the character being Frank throughout (talking to the camera explaining what he is doing and why) it’s genius. 

Possibly, I've not seen House of Cards so wouldn't really know.

We Bare Bears is magic though. I started a thread about kids TV programmes a while back but that fascist Dave deleted it when he was 'updating the server' or something.

On 12/22/2018 at 1:27 PM, Mook said:

What age is he? 

Our little lad is 3, and I can't for the life of me get him on a bike. 

Be it a balance bike or one with stabilisers. 

I bought him a Berg buzzy go kart in the summer, and I think because that has 4 wheels, and you get to grips with it within seconds, he just hasn't got the patience, or bottle for a bike now. 

Even at Christmas, he wanted a 3 wheel scooter, so of course we did. He literally tried to get on it once, told me it was too dangerous, then straight back to the go kart. 

I know he's only 3 but I'm in real fear I'm going to have the only child in the modern world incapable of cycling a bike. 

• Upvote 1

If it’s any consolation, I was amazed at Mook saying he had his little guy out on a bike. These things tend to get a bit blurry but I’m sure mine were nearer school age before they were riding their bikes unaided. And with all of these things, if it’s not clicking, leave it and go back to it in a few weeks/months

7 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

What age is he? 

Our little lad is 3, and I can't for the life of me get him on a bike. 

Be it a balance bike or one with stabilisers. 

I bought him a Berg buzzy go kart in the summer, and I think because that has 4 wheels, and you get to grips with it within seconds, he just hasn't got the patience, or bottle for a bike now. 

Even at Christmas, he wanted a 3 wheel scooter, so of course we did. He literally tried to get on it once, told me it was too dangerous, then straight back to the go kart. 

I know he's only 3 but I'm in real fear I'm going to have the only child in the modern world incapable of cycling a bike. 

He got the bike for his 3rd birthday (in December) so you are not alone.

I'll give it another go soon but will be patient with him as maybe it's a bit too soon.

From the age of 3, my daughter showed no interest in balance bikes or riding with stabilisers. I blame the fact she had one of those three wheeled scooters and was a fucking demon on it.

However, when she got to 5 she decided she wanted to do it, so straight on, no stabilisers, sorted in an afternoon.

She's nearly 8 now and loves going out on her bike. Although she's also a lazy bint who has a tendency to get off and walk up anything that vaguely resembles a hill...

Her problem is instead of just riding up the fucking thing, she sees stops at the bottom to look at it and then can't get the speed up again to get up it.

I've taken to just shouting at her to keep fucking pedalling!

• Upvote 1

What is it with girls (well, my daughter) and a bit of exertion? From a very early age she was very resistant to anything that involved any real physical effort. I can’t remember what it was but she must have been about that age and I was trying to encourage her to give something a go and her response to why she couldn’t was that it made her pant! What pathetic excuse is that? 

She’ll be 20 this year and she’s still sticking to it.

The rest of us have been pretty good role models, I’d say but no, there’s been no shifting her. It’s probably the nearest thing to rebellion she’s ever shown.

My only hope is that something will change as she gets older

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Champ said:

What is it with girls (well, my daughter) and a bit of exertion? From a very early age she was very resistant to anything that involved any real physical effort. I can’t remember what it was but she must have been about that age and I was trying to encourage her to give something a go and her response to why she couldn’t was that it made her pant! What pathetic excuse is that? 

She’ll be 20 this year and she’s still sticking to it.

The rest of us have been pretty good role models, I’d say but no, there’s been no shifting her. It’s probably the nearest thing to rebellion she’s ever shown.

My only hope is that something will change as she gets older

My girls (5 and 7) show boundless energy running around the house and making a mess. Nice Sunday walk in the Forest? Oh no, normally ends up me and the wife alternating carrying them most of the way!     

• Upvote 1