You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Parenting Thread

Paul

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

The romance of parenting when you have 2 young ones. Setting the scene; my wife has spent the past 45 minutes getting my daughter prepared for the childminders, I have been changing my son‘s nappy and getting him to sleep. I get him to sleep but now she wants me to get dressed to take my daughter and get her a spare pair of underwear. I sigh and the wife tells if I hurry up we can have sex while son is still asleep. I explain that the reason I am sighing is I've needed a shit for the past 45 minutes. Anyway I drop my daughter and rush back and utter the immortal words 'sweetheart, I'll hold it in for you, let's go upstairs'. 

As we undress we both get as far as completely naked and son wakes up at that exact moment. Now I'm typing this while having that poo. He was fucking delighted to be awake as well. Cock blocking, I don't want any more brothers or sisters, nearly 8 months old so and so. 

It gets worse mate, wait until they're 12 and 14 and it becomes near impossible to get a game, the eldest stays up later than her and the youngest is always up first. 

Would usually get by with frequent Saturday city nights out and staying in hotels but can't even do that at the minute, managed a quick bumping together the other night as she stayed up later than usual but even then we're conscious that the eldest in the next room wouldn't have been fully asleep, the last thing a 14 year old wants is to hear his folks going at it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Remmie said:

The romance of parenting when you have 2 young ones. Setting the scene; my wife has spent the past 45 minutes getting my daughter prepared for the childminders, I have been changing my son‘s nappy and getting him to sleep. I get him to sleep but now she wants me to get dressed to take my daughter and get her a spare pair of underwear. I sigh and the wife tells if I hurry up we can have sex while son is still asleep. I explain that the reason I am sighing is I've needed a shit for the past 45 minutes. Anyway I drop my daughter and rush back and utter the immortal words 'sweetheart, I'll hold it in for you, let's go upstairs'. 

As we undress we both get as far as completely naked and son wakes up at that exact moment. Now I'm typing this while having that poo. He was fucking delighted to be awake as well. Cock blocking, I don't want any more brothers or sisters, nearly 8 months old so and so. 

Speed is the key. MrsD and I can get it done, end to end, everyone happy in about 10 mins when we need to. 

We're lucky though because my parents have KidD once a week anyway so we get a night to ourselves. Used to be we'd go out, but now we're just sat watching box sets drinking before wearily going upstairs for a fumble. It's great. 

Anyone have any experience with veruccas? KidD has one on her foot, probably from swimming, just started the bazooka today. 

9 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Speed is the key. MrsD and I can get it done, end to end, everyone happy in about 10 mins when we need to. 

We're lucky though because my parents have KidD once a week anyway so we get a night to ourselves. Used to be we'd go out, but now we're just sat watching box sets drinking before wearily going upstairs for a fumble. It's great. 

Anyone have any experience with veruccas? KidD has one on her foot, probably from swimming, just started the bazooka today. 

Just keeping putting the cream on it every day/night. Not much else you can do.

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Luckily he's still having multiple naps in the day so I got woken up later (I'm on nights) and the deed was done. Can't get back to sleep now though. 

• 4 weeks later...

MrsD wants to get Kid D, just 6, a tablet for Christmas. I'm dead against it as I work with loads of kids whose motor skills, writing and attention are trash because they use them at home too much. 

All her arguments seem to amount to, "It'll keep her quiet on long road trips." Which for me isn't worth taking the risk of creating a tablet addict. Our next door neighbours bribe their kids with tablet time to do anything and I can't be arsed. 

Opinion GF dad's and mums? 

4 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

MrsD wants to get Kid D, just 6, a tablet for Christmas. I'm dead against it as I work with loads of kids whose motor skills, writing and attention are trash because they use them at home too much. 

All her arguments seem to amount to, "It'll keep her quiet on long road trips." Which for me isn't worth taking the risk of creating a tablet addict. Our next door neighbours bribe their kids with tablet time to do anything and I can't be arsed. 

I would hold off as long as possible.

Our eldest (4) has one that he gets to keep him quiet when his wee brother is having his nap but getting it off him can be WW3 at times. The telly is the problem in our house, they watch too much of it & I'm always the bad guy for turning it off.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mook said:

I would hold off as long as possible.

Our eldest (4) has one that he gets to keep him quiet when his wee brother is having his nap but getting it off him can be WW3 at times. The telly is the problem in our house, they watch too much of it & I'm always the bad guy for turning it off.

This is my worry. Mine probably watches too much telly as well on weekends in between outings and activities. A tablet is just another layer of screen time for me. 

Working from home and kindergarten. A magical combination although I need to be careful that it doesn’t lead to another little cock-blocker

edit: that was about the sex thing. We’re all screwed on the iPad screen time thing, it’s inevitable that they will spend their entire lives looking at screens so just try to make sure that they look at something vaguely educational 

On 27/03/2020 at 18:55, PestiRed said:

Wait until they discover Blippi 

Wait until you discover how much fucking Blippi has earned with a video camera, a daft hat and an annoying squeaky voice

We are having to get into this stuff with our 6 month Grandaughter. Hey Duggee and Teletubbies keep her attention for a short while,mainly because of the colours and the songs.

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Just have very clear boundaries and instructions.

We have one for flights, puzzles, drawing and music (making and listening), but that’s it, those are the only apps we have.

All screen time is very structured, they’re allowed an hours cartoon between 5/6 in the evening before tea, they can watch cartoons on Saturday mornings. They’re allowed nature documentaries whenever they want and they can play with the iPad if it’s constructive and educational/creative. It think we’ve struck a pretty decent balance, though I’m sure the pressures will change as they get older.

My oldest is four now and, not sure if it’s normal or not, knows her way around an iPhone better than me. We stopped her playing with it when we caught her watching kids opening presents on YouTube and other assorted nonsense, so we took it away from her and explained why these things were rubbish, she seemed to get it.

You’re not a bad parent for taking the easy option every now and again, but if it’s the default you need to have a look at yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here’s what happened tonight. 

7 Year old son came out of his room in just his underwear while getting ready for bed. 

They were on backwards. 

I said “Hey your undies are on backwards.”

He said “Oh”, and went to the bathroom to fix them.

I asked him “do you know how to figure out which way they go? Yes? What do you look for?” 

7yo: “the stain”.

• Upvote 5

We have things like Khan academy kids on ours, some drawing apps etc. on ours, so that when they do get the iPad they do something constructive on it. We also have them do some courses for kids with different apps, like use GarageBand to make music etc. and then we do some tasks for then, I.e. create a game in switch and then create the music in GarageBand and use that music in the game and in the evening we will then play their game with them. That seems to work very well for us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mentioned a while ago about the issues with my lad and his wife.

Recently told us we were going to be grandparents. I should be overjoyed but she's going 'I get bored answering the same questions to different people so dont ask me any. You dont need to buy this, this, this or this, my mum's buying all the baby furniture, pram, clothes and toys. No, I dont want any knitted clothes. My mum's being Nana and her partner is grandad so you can decide to be grandma and grandpa if you want' etc, etc.

What a fucking life.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody got any tips on teaching your kid how to ride a bike?

We took his stabalisers off today & this was inevitably followed by a Diana Ross sized hissy fit & a complete refusal to try again. I give him a Mickey Goldmill style pep talk tonight but his listening skills are fucking awful & I don't think it registered.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Start off on grass in a big park, run behind pushing whilst he pedals then let go. If gets pedalling he won’t fall off. 

That’s what we did.  It’s easier to steer and stay up if they are going a bit faster than they could pedal themselves. A good push holding onto the saddle from behind so they can’t see when you let go. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

We took his stabalisers off today & this was inevitably followed by a Diana Ross sized hissy fit & a complete refusal to try again. I give him a Mickey Goldmill style pep talk tonight but his listening skills are fucking awful & I don't think it registered.

Take the pedals right off with his seat low-ish and get him used to free wheeling with the ability to easily put his feet down. Tellin’ yer - deffo works. He’ll find his balance quickly. Then the pedals go back on and he’ll crack it like that. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Taught KidD over half term. Stages:

1. Let her just scoot it to get her balace

2. Peddling with me pushing her all the way

3. Peddling with her going one, two, three, four peddles on her own increasing

4. Her starting herself by scooting it and then peddling on her own

5. Standing starts

We did about 20 mins a day and today she clocked the standing start. Little and often, bags of encouragement, push them off slyly so they know falling off isn't the end of the world.  

Seconded for lower the seat. She learned on a bike far to small, got a proper one today and she's flying on it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

Thanks folks, I'll have a good read of these tomorrow before trying again.

My mate's kid has a balance bike Paul & I wish we had started that way, makes so much sense.

We had to try twice, first time she just wasn’t ready and it was upsetting her so we left it for a month or two.  Then she cracked it. It is funny when they are screaming ‘Don’t let go, don’t let go’ and you let go about 100 yards ago. 

Oh and videoing it helped too, there’s nothing like a video of you doing something when you complain you can’t do it. 

• Upvote 1