You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Parenting Thread

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

My brother and his missus are at a funeral this afternoon so asked me to pick Sophie up from school. 

Only I forgot to take my ID, you need to show proof of identity if not the child’s parent and the parents need to inform the school in advance before they’ll let the pupil leave the grounds. 

So I’m told I’ll have to see the Deputy Head. 

Sophie and I are taken to see the Deputy Head and she’s ace. 

‘This is my Uncle Colin, he’s picking me up today because Mummy and Daddy are at a funeral for Uncle Sean. He’s not a real uncle though, he was Daddy’s friend from the pub. 

Uncle Colin is taking me home and we’re having takeaway and watching Moana. 

Did you know Uncle Colin used to have my bedroom when he was a baby, but it wasn’t pink then. 

And Uncle Colin went to this school when he was a lot younger, but I don’t think any of his teachers are still here, they’re probably all dead’!

Thanks Soph...

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

My brother and his missus are at a funeral this afternoon so asked me to pick Sophie up from school. 

Only I forgot to take my ID, you need to show proof of identity if not the child’s parent and the parents need to inform the school in advance before they’ll let the pupil leave the grounds. 

So I’m told I’ll have to see the Deputy Head. 

Sophie and I are taken to see the Deputy Head and she’s ace. 

‘This is my Uncle Colin, he’s picking me up today because Mummy and Daddy are at a funeral for Uncle Sean. He’s not a real uncle though, he was Daddy’s friend from the pub. 

Uncle Colin is taking me home and we’re having takeaway and watching Moana. 

Did you know Uncle Colin used to have my bedroom when he was a baby, but it wasn’t pink then. 

And Uncle Colin went to this school when he was a lot younger, but I don’t think any of his teachers are still here, they’re probably all dead’!

Thanks Soph...

Uncle Buck! 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Turdsette lost her two front teeth last week and it’s her 6th birthday today. I was scrolling through old pictures and videos on my phone the other day of the two of us from when she was around 12 months old to about three and a half and I was choking up. I want my baby girl back.

Even though it’s more work when they’re really small, all those people that say don’t wish those early years away are absolutely right. It was almost enough to make me want to do it again. Almost. 

• Upvote 2

Having a hard time with our 3 year old at the moment, everything is a major struggle with him & the teachers are the nursery are often giving us bad reports too. He was so bad today that when I said I was going to stick him in the nearest river my missus didn't even pull me up for it.

He's like a cross between Stalin & Kevin the teenager. I'm off this week & after two days I'm fucking sick of it to be honest. Thankfully I'm away for the next two days or I think he'd be getting a very hard boot up his arse.

Please tell me it gets better than this?...

If he's like a cross between Stalin and Kevin the teenager at 3 years old then the signs don't look too good tbh. I wish you luck.

Going off topic me and the mrs were in Edinburgh for a couple of nights last week. Stayed at the Holiday Inn on Cowgate. Totally enjoyed it, seems a great place.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Caramac said:

If he's like a cross between Stalin and Kevin the teenager at 3 years old then the signs don't look too good tbh. I wish you luck.

Going off topic me and the mrs were in Edinburgh for a couple of nights last week. Stayed at the Holiday Inn on Cowgate. Totally enjoyed it, seems a great place.

I wrote that post just after he'd gone to bed so was still a bit worked up. I think it's just a phase but we had a good chat tonight about how we can maybe handle it so I feel a bit better about it now.

Glad you enjoyed Edinburgh mate, give us a shout for recommendations or anything if you come back up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

I wrote that post just after he'd gone to bed so was still a bit worked up. I think it's just a phase but we had a good chat tonight about how we can maybe handle it so I feel a bit better about it now.

Glad you enjoyed Edinburgh mate, give us a shout for recommendations or anything if you come back up.

Of course mate, no worries. Like you say, keep talking to your other half and working at it. Its easy to say I know, you'll be fine. My two eldest sons have recently moved out and l miss having them around badly.

Will definitely be returning to Edinburgh sometime in the near future, beautiful city.

• Upvote 1

On 03/06/2019 at 15:08, Captain Turdseye said:

Turdsette lost her two front teeth last week and it’s her 6th birthday today. I was scrolling through old pictures and videos on my phone the other day of the two of us from when she was around 12 months old to about three and a half and I was choking up. I want my baby girl back.

Even though it’s more work when they’re really small, all those people that say don’t wish those early years away are absolutely right. It was almost enough to make me want to do it again. Almost. 

Definitely mate. But also remember to enjoy the current age because soon they'll be teenagers and you'll be "i wish they were 6 again" ha. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Our youngest is 18 months now & all he can say are 'ga ga' & 'Mum', we're a wee bit worried about his speech. I know they're all different but it's hard not to be concerned about these things as a parent.

We read books to him a lot (and I mean a lot) & try to talk him through everything to help with it but no breakthrough at the moment.

Apparently they won't refer bairns to a speech therapist until they're two years old but it would be nice to hear what others who have experienced similar think.

35 minutes ago, Mook said:

Our youngest is 18 months now & all he can say are 'ga ga' & 'Mum', we're a wee bit worried about his speech. I know they're all different but it's hard not to be concerned about these things as a parent.

We read books to him a lot (and I mean a lot) & try to talk him through everything to help with it but no breakthrough at the moment.

Apparently they won't refer bairns to a speech therapist until they're two years old but it would be nice to hear what others who have experienced similar think.

My niece was really slow to start talking properly. Didn’t help that she was naturally shy and a bit timid anyway but once she got to nursery age she grew in confidence and caught up really quickly. That’s when they really start to blossom.  At the time my sister was feeling like you are but I wouldn’t worry for now mate. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Boys are fucking lazy.  Girls like to complain at an earlier age so maybe he just hasn’t found anything to moan about. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
4 hours ago, Mook said:

Like others have said, Girls are way quicker than boys at picking up things. Our daughter was reciting words (colours and numbers) at a very young age and was speaking baby sentences by the time she was 14 months old. The lads were the opposite and it was about the 18 month mark where they started to speak more. The missus is a speech therapist and she said that 2 years is the mark where you should start to worry if they aren't speaking more, hence why they wait until that point before looking into things. Sometimes young ones just like to hear things and find it soothing to do so. 

How are his fine motor skills mate? Using his hands to hold things etc.. If you feel they are lacking then it would be worth looking into things further. If they are fine then hopefully you are worrying about nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Like others have said, Girls are way quicker than boys at picking up things. Our daughter was reciting words (colours and numbers) at a very young age and was speaking baby sentences by the time she was 14 months old. The lads were the opposite and it was about the 18 month mark where they started to speak more. The missus is a speech therapist and she said that 2 years is the mark where you should start to worry if they aren't speaking more, hence why they wait until that point before looking into things. Sometimes young ones just like to hear things and find it soothing to do so. 

How are his fine motor skills mate? Using his hands to hold things etc.. If you feel they are lacking then it would be worth looking into things further. If they are fine then hopefully you are worrying about nothing. 

Thanks, that's reassuring.

He's great with everything else, wanders about, does what we ask him to do & usually feeds himself using cutlery too.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Mook said:

Thanks, that's reassuring.

He's great with everything else, wanders about, does what we ask him to do & usually feeds himself using cutlery too.

I wouldn't worry mate, not yet anyway. Missus says the fact his motor skills and especially his hearing skills at that age point to a healthy outlook. Some children take until over 2 years before they feel the need to articulate themselves through speech. Teach him colours and numbers or other simple words and encourage him just to repeat what you say. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

I wouldn't worry mate, not yet anyway. Missus says the fact his motor skills and especially his hearing skills at that age point to a healthy outlook. Some children take until over 2 years before they feel the need to articulate themselves through speech. Teach him colours and numbers or other simple words and encourage him just to repeat what you say. 

Will do, thanks.

If I remember I'll let you know how he's getting on.

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Mook said:

Will do, thanks.

If I remember I'll let you know how he's getting on.

It'll be fine mate. One word learning works better with boys in my experience. Once he starts repeating words you'll find it hard to stop him. Then you'll have the phase where he asks you a load of questions about anything and everything as if you are a walking wikipedia. 

22 minutes ago, Champ said:

Arrived at this when you’ve already been given loads of reassurance and good advice. The only other thing that occurred  to me is is his hearing ok?

They said it was fine & he follows instructions a lot although my wife is a bit worried about that as my hearing was always a bit ropey.

22 minutes ago, Mook said:

They said it was fine & he follows instructions a lot although my wife is a bit worried about that as my hearing was always a bit ropey.

Great minds...

Edit ...and picking up on Turdseye’s point, does he yet go anywhere where there are not family members to look after him? Could he be doing that proper boy thing of being perfectly happy to let others do the work until he absolutely has to?