You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bascombe names his top 50 Liverpool players

JohnnyH

Alonso fully deserves to be on that list. One of the most graceful footballers I've seen in a red shirt.

Sturridge shouldn't be anywhere near the top 50. yet.

Agreed that he deserves to be on the list.

But Top 20? And ahead of Molby?

• Upvote 2

My observations....

Sturridge shouldn't be on the list and neither should Henchoz, McMahon slightly too high, Mcmanaman slightly too low.

Move Phil Neal up the list, was Stubbins really better than a prime Owen and Torres?? Swap Hyypia with Carra, move Alonso back about 10 places.

Emlyn Hughes up a few more places, Elisha Scott too high, swap Fowler for Keegan, swap Gerrard for Dalglish.

Whys Luis Garcia's name in this thread? Mental!

It's all a matter for discussion and debate and the only thing that can't be debated is that we have had a huge amount of fantastic players down the years.

Stevie deserves to be either first or second - he's played in a few mediocre teams (by our standards) down the years, but he never stopped being a world class player. Can you imagine him in one of our 70's or 80's teams - he'd have been even better.

With alot of these polls, people's cult heroes come higher than they deserve which means that more deserving players like finish below where they should. I think Bascombe got it pretty spot on to be fair with a few discrepancies.

I love Carra but no way is he higher than Ray Kennedy, Thommo, Terry Mac, Phil Neal, Alan Kennedy, Ronnie Whelan or Steve Nicol. He shouldn't be higher than Sami either.

As much as I love Robbie, I would have Jocky ahead of him. Jocky contributed so much to the club in every way that he's in my top 5 everytime.

My top 5:

(1) Kenny

(2) Stevie

(3) Souey

(4) Jocky

(5) Barnes

Rushy would be at number 6. Lawrensen, Callaghan, Keegan and Suarez would make up the rest of my top 10.

In the 11-20 section, I would have the likes of Phil Neal, Ray Kennedy, Crazy Horse, Terry Mac and Billy Liddell (I never saw him but old timers would have him in their top 5 everytime). Robbie walks into this section comfortably. I'd probably put Torres and Alonso in here also if it is based on playing ability, which is precisely what it should be based on. Michael Owen would have a case to get in the top 20 - certainly top 25.

• Upvote 1

It's all a matter for discussion and debate and the only thing that can't be debated is that we have had a huge amount of fantastic players down the years.

Stevie deserves to be either first or second - he's played in a few mediocre teams (by our standards) down the years, but he never stopped being a world class player. Can you imagine him in one of our 70's or 80's teams - he'd have been even better.

With alot of these polls, people's cult heroes come higher than they deserve which means that more deserving players like finish below where they should. I think Bascombe got it pretty spot on to be fair with a few discrepancies.

I love Carra but no way is he higher than Ray Kennedy, Thommo, Terry Mac, Phil Neal, Alan Kennedy, Ronnie Whelan or Steve Nicol. He shouldn't be higher than Sami either.

As much as I love Robbie, I would have Jocky ahead of him. Jocky contributed so much to the club in every way that he's in my top 5 everytime.

My top 5:

(1) Kenny

(2) Stevie

(3) Souey

(4) Jocky

(5) Barnes

Rushy would be at number 6. Lawrensen, Callaghan, Keegan and Suarez would make up the rest of my top 10.

In the 11-20 section, I would have the likes of Phil Neal, Ray Kennedy, Crazy Horse, Terry Mac and Billy Liddell (I never saw him but old timers would have him in their top 5 everytime). Robbie walks into this section comfortably. I'd probably put Torres and Alonso in here also if it is based on playing ability, which is precisely what it should be based on. Michael Owen would have a case to get in the top 20 - certainly top 25.

I agree with all of this

The 2 things which stood out for me was that Keegan was far too low and Carra was far too high

• Upvote 1

I agree with all of this

The 2 things which stood out for me was that Keegan was far too low and Carra was far too high

yep - agree with that, and Ronnie's big post.  

People underestimate Keegan.  For me, he was the catalyst that turned us into the biggest club in English football.  The most important single player, in many ways. 

• Upvote 3

I agree with all of this

Carra too high? More like too low, if anything.

If the list was based purely on talent then Suarez would be first.

It's all opinions isn't it. Personally wouldn't have Alonso in there I didn't think he was great for two seasons (though yes he was great in his first and last and I met him and he was a lovely fella).

My top 5 hasn't changed in years:

Kenny

Rushie

Barnsey

Gerrard

Fowler

yep - agree with that, and Ronnie's big post.  

People underestimate Keegan.  For me, he was the catalyst that turned us into the biggest club in English football.  The most important single player, in many ways. 

Great point. He was a phenomenal player.

I do think that with alot of scousers and I include myself in this, we are attracted to a wayward spirit like Suarez or a character like big Jan or even a fella like Kenny who doesn't give a shit about what the media thinks of him more than a guy like Keegan, who was a bit more of a goodie two shoes and loved by middle England. I do think this affects how Keegan is viewed by us, along with the fact that he left us for $$$$.

(Obviously no one can compare to the King).

Great point. He was a phenomenal player.

I do think that with alot of scousers and I include myself in this, we are attracted to a wayward spirit like Suarez or a character like big Jan or even a fella like Kenny who doesn't give a shit about what the media thinks of him more than a guy like Keegan, who was a bit more of a goodie two shoes and loved by middle England. I do think this affects how Keegan is viewed by us, along with the fact that he left us for $$$$.

(Obviously no one can compare to the King).

Agreed

Suarez remind me of him a little for his will to win and the affct he had on players around him although Luis was a lot more skillfull

I've seen all but 4 of those play so the first thing to say is I've been a very lucky boy. The single outstanding player in his position in that time was Ray Clemence, head and shoulders above all the other keepers so I think he should be higher up the rankings. I'm glad to see several shout outs for Keegan. Before him, we were struggling to score and playing some dire stuff (42 goals in 42 games in 1970/71), when he arrived it was like someone had flicked a light switch. Great player. Top for me would be Kenny with Souness second.

• Upvote 2

Henchoz shouldn't be on that list, that's for sure. Limited player who was made to look a lot better than he was by the brilliant Hyypia. I'd actually have Babbel (who was sadly robbed of his health way too early) far infront of Stephane. Good player, Henchoz, but not even top 150 for me.

Second gripe is Mcmanaman, way too low. If Gerrard has gotten to no 1 based on carrying this team, well then Macca and Fowler should be even higher. Mcmanaman - Fowler - goal ring a bell. I don't think Gerrard is no 1, and Fowler is probably about right when you consider the achievements of others. Still love him though. Mcmanaman's (and Owen's/Keegan's) clearly tainted by their departures. 

I'd actually put Xabi even higher, best midfielder I've seen play regularly (can't lay claim to have seen enough of Souness), and again if Stevie is no.1 - then how can the man that regularly outshone him in our midfield be 18? 

I think most will agree on the inclusions of the top5; mine would be:

1. Dalglish - the King - also deserves the no 1 spot for being a great man in general!

2. Barnes - best and most talented player I've seen live (I include Suarez in that), injuries robbed him of the no 1 spot.

3. Gerrard/Souness - tough call, from what I've seen a case could be made either way.

5. Fowler - for his talent and the awesome memories in what were relatively difficult years for a Liverpool supporter

Henchoz shouldn't be on that list, that's for sure. Limited player who was made to look a lot better than he was by the brilliant Hyypia. I'd actually have Babbel (who was sadly robbed of his health way too early) far infront of Stephane. Good player, Henchoz, but not even top 150 for me.

Second gripe is Mcmanaman, way too low. If Gerrard has gotten to no 1 based on carrying this team, well then Macca and Fowler should be even higher. Mcmanaman - Fowler - goal ring a bell. I don't think Gerrard is no 1, and Fowler is probably about right when you consider the achievements of others. Still love him though. Mcmanaman's (and Owen's/Keegan's) clearly tainted by their departures. 

I'd actually put Xabi even higher, best midfielder I've seen play regularly (can't lay claim to have seen enough of Souness), and again if Stevie is no.1 - then how can the man that regularly outshone him in our midfield be 18? 

I think most will agree on the inclusions of the top5; mine would be:

1. Dalglish - the King - also deserves the no 1 spot for being a great man in general!

2. Barnes - best and most talented player I've seen live (I include Suarez in that), injuries robbed him of the no 1 spot.

3. Gerrard/Souness - tough call, from what I've seen a case could be made either way.

5. Fowler - for his talent and the awesome memories in what were relatively difficult years for a Liverpool supporter

No way is Fowler above Rush, that's just wrong.

• Upvote 1

No way is Fowler above Rush, that's just wrong.

Yeah, that's why I said most would have those 5 included. I just went full on sentimental, as Fowler was such a big part of my most intense love-affair with our team/club. Apart from the season videos and highlight reels, my memories of Rush are that of a player aging badly and never really getting back to the magic he produced in the early 80's. For sheer ability I think Fowler was even better, but he faded a lot quicker than Rushie.