You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Skrtel to be charged

Jennings

Martin Skrtel: FA to charge defender over De Gea challenge

The Football Association will charge Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel for an incident towards the end of the 2-1 defeat by Manchester United on Sunday.

The Slovakian defender, 30, appeared to tread on United goalkeeper David De Gea during injury time at Anfield.

It is expected Skrtel will be charged with violent conduct.

Referee Martin Atkinson has filed a report, with the FA free to act if the official confirmed he had not seen the incident.

Punishment would be three-match ban, ruling Skrtel out of Premier League matches at Arsenal (4 April) and at home to Newcastle (April 13), plus the FA Cup quarter-final replay at Blackburn on 8 April.

The FA has made no comment on the matter so far.

As shit as he was yesterday I think Atkinson gave us a break on this. It seemed clear to me that he did see it and rather than send Skrtel off at the end of the game decided to let the FA deal with it. I doubt they'd overrule him if he'd given Skrtel a red card so at least now there's a chance Skrtel might get off, having been stamped himself and all.

When it comes to the FA taking action against our players, they fucking go to town on us so it would not surprise me if they handed out a longer ban than they gave to Costa for pretty much the same offence, and a longer ban than they gave to Evans for spitting. 

It's going to be a loss losing him as he's been excellent when playing in a back 3.

Be interesting to see what Rodgers does with him out bring Lovern in or change to a back 4.

How many games did Costa get for his stamp?

Costa was let off for the stamp on Skrts apparently because his leg was moving and not a stationary target. I suggest they get a reminder, especially since De Gea is sliding in motion during this accident.

He saw it, bottled it, and took the easy route of letting the FA deal with it.

This'll become a pattern, as refs get increasingly criticised they'll defer the big calls over violent conduct to others. It's the slow crawl towards video referrals being used during games. 

Can you imagine he saw it and acted, giving Skittles a red also. He'd be on the run now, as we speak.

If that's a stomp worthy of a three-match ban then really, he should be allowed to revisit that situation and actually make a worthwhile stomp to validate the punishment. 

It's like saying you've shit yourself when your bums just dribbled. 

Shitting yourself is when your socks get moist. 

• Upvote 1