You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Adam Johnson

Bjornebye

Breaking: Adam Johnson facing up to 10 year in prison - with a starting point of five years - judge says

I don't think money can buy him out of this.

nope but what a nest egg to come out to in the 10 months from when he was arrested till the day he was sacked he has earnt 2m wages 

I don't understand, he was cleared on one, more serious count, but found guilty on another, which would be up to 10 years (or 15 in some articles), with a minimum of 5. What would be the sentence on the first count, death penalty? Is there no distinction between legal and actual child any more?

I don't understand, he was cleared on one, more serious count, but found guilty on another, which would be up to 10 years (or 15 in some articles), with a minimum of 5. What would be the sentence on the first count, death penalty? Is there no distinction between legal and actual child any more?

My understanding it's the same offence - sexual activity with a child. If so it covers a whole range of sexual activity. The same maximum sentence applies, but different types of activity will be seen as more or less serious, and be sentenced accordingly. Obviously with other factors involved. He'll get no credit as he's made her give evidence.

Just checked the sentencing guidelines and the judge has placed him in the highest category, so I assume the sexual activity involved penetration of the vagina (fingers?), and included factors such as planning, grooming, and an abuse of trust. Bye, bye Adam.

It does seem severe when placed alongside similar offences. Graham Rix got 12 months for having full sex with a 15 year old, and the age gap was much larger. One has to wonder what the difference in this case is that makes a run of the mill fingering so much more serious an offence than actual vaginal intercourse.

So a majority believed he did something to the girl but not everyone believed he did the worst. Sounds a bit arbitrary that.

In any case, he's a stupid fucking creep who threw everything away - hubris, and all. So many people struggle by with little or nothing going for them and make it through. Johnson had lots more and gave it up for what? He'll be giving up a lot more when the gates slam.

It does seem severe when placed alongside similar offences. Graham Rix got 12 months for having full sex with a 15 year old, and the age gap was much larger. One has to wonder what the difference in this case is that makes a run of the mill fingering so much more serious an offence than actual vaginal intercourse.

Terms have been revised upwards significantly over the last few years though as a deterrent. It's why the likes of Rolf Harris got away with a similar term as Johnson is looking at for numerous assaults, they had much lower tariff's applied set at the time of the offence.

When he was checking the age of consent on-line it might have been wise for him to check out the sentencing handed out these days. 

Terms have been revised upwards significantly over the last few years though as a deterrent. It's why the likes of Rolf Harris got away with a similar term as Johnson is looking at for numerous assaults, they had much lower tariff's applied set at the time of the offence.

When he was checking the age of consent on-line it might have been wise for him to check out the sentencing handed out these days. 

Graham Rix pleaded guilty too.

In America the arbitrariness of the whole thing is even worse.  

I have two acquaintances (or rather, acquaintances of friends) there, one was convicted of molesting his own daughter, 2 years old, and though he can never again see her he was only given 2 years and the rest was a suspended sentence.  State court.

In the other case, that I know a bit more about, the man apparently felt up a 15-year old but backed off when she was uncomfortable.  She reported it to her parents, who called the police and he was taken into custody.  But he had crossed state lines to meet her, so it was a federal crime under a different sentencing structure, he got 7 years with no parole.

It seemed crazy to me.  Both of them unquestionably wrong and deservedly sent away, but the one that seemed much, much worse got far less time.  

Just don't understand how people can do this shit. I'm at a uni today and I imagine most of them are 18-21 and they just look, sound, and act completely daft. Utterly non sexual. Real women is what you want, some vintage Linda Lussadi. Leave those kids alone.

• Upvote 1