You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Some thoughts on Liverpool 2 Man City 1 by Paul Natton

tlw content

1. Get in!!!

2. That was boss. How composed do we look these days? Even in big moments against top sides, we don't really panic and just play our game. 

3. City looked poor, Aguero and Silva aside. Tactically they're not in our league and I can see Pellegrini losing his job because of it this summer. Their 442 is a flat track bully's formation that leaves them light in the middle against the best opponents and today was no exception. 

4. The formation wasn't the only reason they lost the midfield battle though: the skipper and especially Joe Allen dominated. In fact Allen had his best game for us today - and not just with his work rate either. His positioning, passing and interceptions were all brilliant. 

5. The captain was almost as good too. That strike was phenomenal but all other aspects of his game were top class too. Unless a mate's tongue in cheek wish for Suarez as captain next season comes true, look no further than Henderson as Stevie's permanent replacement. He's right in the ref's ear all game too and we need that. 

6. Adam Lallana's feet are unbelievable. Look at his disallowed goal for evidence. Look too at the consistency of his first touch and the clever switch of feet also. I keep reading about how he's not Liverpool quality from some, but they clearly don't go to the game because he's routinely lauded at Anfield. All he's lacked this season is a long run of games and the goals that would bring. He's class though. No doubt. 

7. Coutinho is approaching world class now he's starting to score great goals. Thank goodness we got that deal signed. 

8. Speaking of which, with end product like today's, Sterling needs to focus more on his game and less on his contract because he was poor in that regard. That said, watching Vincent Kompany bounce off him when they went shoulder to shoulder was hilarious. 

9. Despite Mignolet's brace of hesitant wobbles and the early pressure the back line faced in the first twenty minutes, we defended really well against a dangerous forward line. In fact I thought Lovren had his best game for us. Admittedly that's not hard considering the lows he's plummeted to this season, but I was pleased for him. 

10. All of this after Thursday night's exertions and with no sight of Stevie either has left me wondering how far we can go this season now we've ditched the Thursday nights. Top four is crucial but only Chelsea look out of sight after today. Also, a trophy is really needed under Brendan too. Is the FA Cup and second too much to hope for? Nope. Admittedly it's not likely, but the way we play in the second half of seasons, would you bet against it?

11. Roll on Wednesday when we need more of the same. Come on you Reds!!!

Paul Natton
@OxtonSoulBoy

Click here to view the article

• Upvote 8

Good summary Paul. I agree with what you say about Lallana's feet. The disallowed goal had great control then a fantastic finish into the roof of the net from a near impossible angle. Shame it was just off. He's a good player. With a bit more pace he'd be unbelievably good, but as it is he's a good player. 

• Upvote 1

Agree with it all, Paul.

If Aguero's shot had have gone in after Mig's dally, it could have been a very different game. 

We got away with it, then grew from strength to strength.

Fantastic time to be a red.

• Upvote 1

The jury is very much still out on Lallana. Yes he has very good feet but is that enough? He lacks pace (looks like he's running in sand to be frank) , and he's very very lightweight but the biggest concern for me is his age, he should be in his prime and if this is all he's got at nearly 27 then I really can't see it being enough. Of course I hope he proves himself worthy of the red shirt big time.

The jury is very much still out on Lallana. Yes he has very good feet but is that enough? He lacks pace (looks like he's running in sand to be frank) , and he's very very lightweight but the biggest concern for me is his age, he should be in his prime and if this is all he's got at nearly 27 then I really can't see it being enough. Of course I hope he proves himself worthy of the red shirt big time.

He's a decent player to have in the squad, but isn't a world beater. 

The fee will always hang around his neck. We've paid £25m, second most expensive signing ever, for a decent squad player.

He'll never live up to what we paid but he can add to the squad. Horrible waste of money for a poor mans Benayoun/Maxi but that's not his fault really.

• Downvote 1

1. Get in!!!

2. That was boss. How composed do we look these days? Even in big moments against top sides, we don't really panic and just play our game. 

3. City looked poor, Aguero and Silva aside. Tactically they're not in our league and I can see Pellegrini losing his job because of it this summer. Their 442 is a flat track bully's formation that leaves them light in the middle against the best opponents and today was no exception. 

4. The formation wasn't the only reason they lost the midfield battle though: the skipper and especially Joe Allen dominated. In fact Allen had his best game for us today - and not just with his work rate either. His positioning, passing and interceptions were all brilliant. 

5. The captain was almost as good too. That strike was phenomenal but all other aspects of his game were top class too. Unless a mate's tongue in cheek wish for Suarez as captain next season comes true, look no further than Henderson as Stevie's permanent replacement. He's right in the ref's ear all game too and we need that. 

6. Adam Lallana's feet are unbelievable. Look at his disallowed goal for evidence. Look too at the consistency of his first touch and the clever switch of feet also. I keep reading about how he's not Liverpool quality from some, but they clearly don't go to the game because he's routinely lauded at Anfield. All he's lacked this season is a long run of games and the goals that would bring. He's class though. No doubt. 

7. Coutinho is approaching world class now he's starting to score great goals. Thank goodness we got that deal signed. 

8. Speaking of which, with end product like today's, Sterling needs to focus more on his game and less on his contract because he was poor in that regard. That said, watching Vincent Kompany bounce off him when they went shoulder to shoulder was hilarious. 

9. Despite Mignolet's brace of hesitant wobbles and the early pressure the back line faced in the first twenty minutes, we defended really well against a dangerous forward line. In fact I thought Lovren had his best game for us. Admittedly that's not hard considering the lows he's plummeted to this season, but I was pleased for him. 

10. All of this after Thursday night's exertions and with no sight of Stevie either has left me wondering how far we can go this season now we've ditched the Thursday nights. Top four is crucial but only Chelsea look out of sight after today. Also, a trophy is really needed under Brendan too. Is the FA Cup and second too much to hope for? Nope. Admittedly it's not likely, but the way we play in the second half of seasons, would you bet against it?

11. Roll on Wednesday when we need more of the same. Come on you Reds!!!

Paul Natton
@OxtonSoulBoy

Click here to view the article

No-one does optimism like you, Paul!

I share a lot of your sentiments, although I've been bitten too many times to cash in on top 4 and the cup this early...

The fee will always hang around his neck. We've paid £25m, second most expensive signing ever, for a decent squad player.

He'll never live up to what we paid but he can add to the squad. Horrible waste of money for a poor mans Benayoun/Maxi but that's not his fault really.

Can't agree with that last line, he could become a really good player, was he what we needed? No, but he's no dud.

Spot on Paul on every point.  Those not rating lallana need to go to speck savers, said in a prevous thread weeks ago, the lad is class.  He is what I call a proper footballer, I really like him. 

I think he is what we needed, maybe not top of the list but he gives us so many options and if he stays injury free the goals will come, no doubt about that.

Mondays are great. 

• Upvote 2

The truth is always class.

Not sure that really makes sense so not a classic stringvest post, sadly.  Your consistency isn't what it was.  Anyway, was a real shame Lallana was slightly offside for his first disallowed goal - the control and finish were exceptional.

One reason I can't see us going back to 433 or the 442 diamond is that we'd have to play only two of Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana, Ibe and Markovic.  There's some good depth of good shit going on there.