Quantcast
Premier League Round Up (Feb 21-22 2015) - Premier League Round Ups 2014-2015 - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

Welcome to the new and improved TLW!

Some of you may experience issues logging in and will get an 'incorrect password' error. Don't worry, you haven't typed it in wrong and your password hasn't been changed. You will need to reset it though in order to log in. Click the reset password link and you will receive an email with your new temporary password. Once logged in, you need to choose a new password (or restore to your old one) otherwise you will be locked out again.

If you have an out of date email address linked to your account, then you won't receive the new password. If that's the case then you'll need to email me (dave @liverpoolway.co.uk) or send me a tweet @theliverpoolway and I'll update your password manually. 

Any other problems or questions just let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

Premier League Round Up (Feb 21-22 2015)

doasisay.jpg

I may as well start calling this “The Weekly Chelsea” because I seem to focus on them more than anyone else. I’ve questioned myself a lot this week about why that is, and I’m certainly not closed to the idea that this unhealthy hatred I’ve got for them has caused me to become a little obsessed, but I really think it’s more than that. The reason they hog so much space in these round ups is because of the sheer amount of scumbaggery on show from them every single fucking week.

It’s relentless. Each week I tell myself “don’t say too much about Chelsea in this one” and then I find that I’ve written ten paragraphs about the fuckers because Mourinho or Costa or Mongo have done something shitty. Honestly, they’re worse than anyone else in the history of the game, perhaps even in the history of humanity; from top to bottom they’re just fucking horrible. There’s not a single redeeming feature about the entire club or anyone associated with it. From Abramovich to Suggs, from Mourinho to Doug Rougvie, I hate them all.

Of course I hated United with every fibre of my being when Ferguson was there. That evil old bastard didn’t just pull every trick in the book, he wrote his own book with new tricks, and then used to publish updated versions of that book every couple of years. United were truly loathesome and down the years they had some absolute rats playing for them. Yet they never came close to how bad Chelsea are, especially when Mourinho is in charge. They were infinitely less bothersome when the likes of AVB and Ancelotti were there. 

They've hogged all the headlines again over the last seven days and before their game with Burnley they issued an apology for the conduct of those rats on the Paris Metro a few days earlier. Why should they have to do that though? It’s hardly Chelsea's fault and clubs can’t be held responsible for the conduct of a handful of lowlifes away from the stadium, even more so when it’s in another country. Besides, they never apologised when thousands of their fans ruined a minute’s silence for the 96 at Wembley, so why say sorry over this? Still feeling guilty over the Terry situation maybe?

They made him condemn it in his “Captain’s Column” in the match programme. Ok, I’ll rephrase that, whoever writes that for him was told to condemn it on his behalf. Not just that, they made him wear a t-shirt too, which must have been awkward to say the least. I can only imagine the look on the Ferdinand’s faces when they saw that. Chelsea could have saved themselves a whole lot of hassle there and just given Terry a microphone and had him say “Do as Mongo say, not as Mongo do”. Not that anything Chelsea as a club say or do is going to stop racist pond life from being racist pondlife of course….. making him wear a t-shirt is certainly not going to change him.

That Burnley game was hilarious though wasn’t it? The only thing better than Chelsea not winning games is when Chelsea not winning a game has a lot to do with the referee. Martin Atkinson was widely accused (or credited, depending on your stance towards Chelsea) of being the biggest reason they didn’t win, but I don’t think his performance was as bad as most are suggesting.

There was only one decision they had a right to feel pissed off about and that was the handball they didn’t get when a Burnley defender turned his back on an Ivanovic shot and it hit his outstretched arm. That clearly should have been a pen, although they’re not always given as there is a grey area with these handball decisions. I've seen worse than that not given this season but other than that I don’t think Atkinson got much wrong.

Costa wanted a penalty after a push by Shackell but there’s no way that contact was enough to send him sprawling like that. Sometimes it will be given but you can’t say that was a stonewall pen as Costa’s theatrical fall made it look like a clear dive. There was a little shove but Costa’s body was blocking the ref’s view so I don’t know how he can be expected to give a penalty there. When it wasn’t given Mourinho did that stupid, sarcastic “piss myself laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of it all” thing. Poor put upon little Chelsea eh, with all these referees being against them.

I still can’t believe all the fuss about the Barnes / Matic incident. I’d heard all kinds about it, everyone seemed to be up in arms about this so called ‘career threatening’ challenge from Barnes and how it was a disgrace he wasn’t red carded. Mourinho even called it 'criminal' without a trace of irony. Err, hello! Essien, Eto'o, Ramires? The fucking balls on this prick!

It was three or four days before I saw it and when I did I was like “Is that it? Nothing in that, you bunch of hysterical fannies.” Look, I freely admit I hate Chelsea and my bias may be showing through here, but I didn’t think there was much wrong with it. It looks horrific on a freeze frame, but in real time there is no way Barnes is deliberately trying to do Matic, because Matic isn’t even in front of him when he follows through, he comes from the side. I seem to be on my own little island with that one though, I haven’t heard anyone else expressing similar views, even those that hate Chelsea as much as me are saying it was a red card. All that tells me is that there are an awful lot of people out there who are wrong (and besides, Alan Shearer disagrees with me, so I rest my case).

Not least Mourinho of course, who only just stopped short of demanding a prison sentence for Barnes and the electric chair for Atkinson. He even showed up on Goals on Sunday to bitch about it all, which was impressive considering he’d told the BBC straight after the game “I’m not paid to comment on incidents. Sometimes I do, but I shouldn’t as I’m not paid to do it.”

Did Sky see that as an invitation? “Hey Jose, we’ll pay you to comment.” He wasn’t scheduled to be on, they binned poor old James Beattie at the last minute to make way for him (Beattie said on the radio the first he heard of it was on Saturday night, AFTER the Burnley game). Now why would Mourinho suddenly decide he wants to go on Goals on Sunday? Maybe I’m doing him a dis-service and the truth is that he’d always wanted to work with Chris Kamara having grown up admiring his mercurial midfield play at Leeds and Sheffield United, or maybe he just loved Hello and Dancing on the Ceiling, but it’s more likely that he just wanted to peddle his bullshit propaganda about a refereeing campaign against Chelsea.

I’d love it if there really IS a refereeing conspiracy against them and that it gets worse every week. It’d be hilarious seeing him completely melt down over it. I just don’t buy it though, and Atkinson’s performance against Burnley was not even close to being as bad as Howard Webb’s in our game at the Bridge last year. Yet fuck all was said about that one was it. Oh wait, yeah something was said. Mourinho said how great his performance was and then hammered Suarez for being a diver. So forgive me for laughing my tits off at this one.

And what’s with Ivanovic these days. He was one of the few people connected to Chelsea who seemed decent enough, especially after the way he didn’t make anything of the Suarez bite. He’s a right scumbag these days though. What’s happened to him? I’ll tell you what happened to him, he’s finally been struck down with SBATS (Suddenly Becomes a Twat Syndrome). Remember when all Chelsea players seemed to quickly become afflicted with SBATS within a few months of signing? (Joe Cole had it the worst, he went from being one of the nicest lads in football to being a vile, diving, cheating shithouse within weeks). Usually SBATS kicks in fairly quickly when players show up at Stamford Bridge, but with Ivanovic it took a number of years. Maybe his immune system is stronger than most due his neanderthal DNA, but eventually, just like all the others, he succumbed to it as he’s as bad as any of them these days.

He’s now one of the worst playactors in the league but never seems to get called on it. One bad shithouse he is, always rolling about trying to get people in trouble. He sounded like a woman in labour after a collision with Barnes near the touchline (picked up by the pitched microphones) and then rolled around a couple of times before leaping to his feet and going to confront him. He’s horrible. I hate his caveman features, I hate his big fat arse and I hate his Popeye forearms.

Most people (not me) seem to think Atkinson screwed them over big time against Burnley, but you reap what you sew. I mean come on, refs aren’t stupid. Some might be spineless and weak, but they aren’t stupid. They all know what he’s up to, all this crap is about trying to put pressure on them so if there’re in doubt they’ll lean towards Chelsea for fear of repercussion or being slagged off on Goals on Sunday. You can be sure Kamara and co will be all over it now any time there’s a decision against Chelsea. "Maybe Jose has a point blah blah blah" If you’re a ref though, surely you’d be thinking, “fuck you, you massive helmet” and if there’s any element of doubt in your mind then you’d go the other way just to piss him off.

That’s what appears to have happened this time. Martin Atkinson ladies and gentlemen *rapturous applause*

This is just a teaser, click here to view the article

Please note that match reports and round ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month and can be purchased here. 

Although I agree that Chelsea cannot be held responsible for the behaviour on the Paris metro, there is something badly wrong about that club. Was anyone even slightly surprised about the Paris and St Pancras stories? Not anyone who has ever been anywhere near their vile supporters for sure. The club alpha is a player who has been fired and ostracised from his national team after his shocking racist language saw him prosecuted. Would it be acceptable for Steven Gerrard to have used language like that and still be captain of our club? Or Carrick/Rooney? Jagielka?

Then some knuckle-dragger from one of their fan groups comes on the radio and says, in so many words, 'the fella on the metro said he'd been subject to racism all his life so I don't know why he is getting all pissy about this'.

Costa is complaining that he gets treated differently to other players. True. That's because most other players aren't cheating snides.

Everton on the other hand are completely irrelevant to us now, they’re so far behind us we might lap them before the end of the season

snotted my lunch out when I read that - superb sir

Sign in to follow this  

• Available Subscriptions

• Last Match Report

• Latest Posts

• If there is one Liverpool player who would love to get one over Barcelona more than most it is James Milner.

Part of the Man City squad who were eliminated by Barcelona from the Champions League in back to back seasons (2013/4/2014/5), Milner does not want to make it a hat-trick of defeats.

While the Spanish giants are many people's favourites to win the competition, the versatile veteran believes the Reds can pose them plenty of searching questions of their own.

The Liverpool Echo reported Milner as saying:

"I've played against Barcelona a couple of times before in the knockout stages and not had the greatest success.

"They are a strong team and it is a tough place to go, but I don’t think they will have played too many teams like us.

“It will be difficult. They are a team full of great individual talent and a great side too.

“The Nou Camp is a fantastic stadium and a fantastic place to play with a great atmosphere. 

"It will be very tough and we will have to be at our best.

"But over the last couple of seasons, with the teams that we have beaten in the Champions League, we should go there with confidence, no matter how tough it is going to be.”  

The win over Porto on Wednesday evening saw the Reds progress to the final four of Europe's elite club competition for the second consecutive season.

It is the first time they have achieved such a feat since Rafa Benitez's tenure (2006/7-07-08).

Milner believes it is a sign of all-around improvement by Jurgen Klopp's men.

"It’s great. Doing it back-to-back shows that we are improving as a team and getting to where we want to be.

“It’s not easy. The teams in the semi-finals are completely different to last year but it’s a great a place to be and mission accomplished.”

Milner said he expected a real challenge from Porto in the second leg, but the pleasing thing is that it showed a resilience that has been a real trademark of this squad this season.

"The pressure they put us under from the start, we knew it would be tough but we just ground it out. We defended, we got the chance and once we took it, that helped in terms of the tie.

"We showed different sides to ourselves, defending and showing what we can do depending how the game is. 

"You are not going to play well in every single game. It says a lot about the character within the team.

"In the second half we got some great goals – a great ball from Trent Alexander-Arnold for the second. We are scoring different types of goals as well, from set-plays.

"Virgil (van Dijk) is getting a few now. He was getting a fair bit of stick earlier in the season for not getting enough, now he can’t stop scoring.

Milner is a perfect man to have on board at this time of the season as he has lived through the pressure of a title race.

He knows that his former club will quickly put the disappointment of their heartbreaking Champions League exit behind them and focus on the league which includes getting revenge over Tottenham in the early kick-off on Saturday.

While for Liverpool it is about keeping their mind on the job at hand.

"City are Premier League champions for a reason and I am sure they will react like champions.

“They will go again, but Spurs will have their backs up and will want to go again after getting such a great result to get through. 

"They are two top teams and it will be an exciting game for the neutral.

"We will keep one eye on it but all we can do is influence our games. There are big games coming all over the place, the first thing we have to do is recover for Cardiff.

"There are a lot of tough games coming up and it won’t be easy. We are used to a game every three days and when the pressure is on towards the end of the season, it maybe takes a bit more out of you.

"But the team has been fantastic in terms of how we have dealt with it all. We have got a big game of our own at the weekend that we have to get a result in.”

View full article
    • For many Liverpool fans, a special place in their heart is reserved for Rafa Benitez. The Spaniard brought with him a tremendous managerial pedigree when he arrived on English soil from Valencia in 2004.
        While Liverpool had made important headway under Gerard Houllier, Benitez elevated the squad to a new level, famously winning the Champions League in his first season.

It was not only his tactical nous along with the quality of player he was able to sign which won him plaudits, it was his ability to connect with the supporters which is so important in modern football.

So it is for that reason that when the current Newcastle manager gives his nod of approval to the current man in the Anfield hot seat, you have to give a whole lot of value to his comments.

The Liverpool Echo (via Marca) reported Benitez as saying:

" Klopp is doing a great job at Anfield.   "They are in that position because they deserve it.

"Last weekend I watched the game against Chelsea and they play with an intensity and an impressive level.

“They are a clear contender to win both titles and have the potential to do it."  

Benitez was a master of getting the right result in Europe over two legs, be it against the almighty Barcelona and Real Madrid or Juventus and Inter Milan.

Since his acrimonious departure at the end of the 2009/10 season, the Reds fell off the radar in terms of top flight European football for quite a few seasons.

It has been a methodical build with the German in charge, culminating in back to back Champion League semi final appearances.

While last year's path to the final was captivating and thrilling, the ability to get to the final four while also having a title challenge on their plate adds that extra bit of merit to the achievement.

Rafa's priorities are quite rightly with his Newcastle side at this time, however you get a real sense that his trademark grin will appear if the Reds manage to lift some silverware at the end of this season.

View full article
    • Not quite sure who you are but thanks for the mention.    #HendersonIsBoss 
    • Virgil will lock down Suarez. He's still a big goal threat but is average in general play and there are a few players in the Premier League that are harder to deal with at this point in his career.    The keys will be limiting Messi obviously, and whether we can outrun them and beat them up physically. 
    • Aren't the Government going to crack down on under-18s accessing material like that?
  • Latest Round Up

• Popular Contributors