You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dalglish the football manager

Neither is it directly comparable.

The two of them are certainly not directly comparable, Zig, and I think that's being fair to Rodgers...

... because at a club where winning trophies has been the notional raison d'etre for as long as most of us can remember, a head-to-head comparison between the two from 2011 onwards has Dalglish with a trophy and Rodgers not.

I know where the pantheon of Liverpool cognoscenti, from Shankly down, would stand on a runners-up vs trophy-winning scenario.

It's only the League Cup, but it's a trophy. 

Hopefully, Rodgers will be have earned and achieved a favourable comparison come the end of May.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Nor was he given £200m to spend.

No, just around £115m over three windows. With that money, the team was very poor. I don't think the same can be said of the current team, which is the form side in the country and unbeaten so far this year.

• Upvote 1

The two of them are certainly not directly comparable, Zig, and I think that's being fair to Rodgers...

... because at a club where winning trophies has been the notional raison d'etre for as long as most of us can remember, a head-to-head comparison between the two from 2011 onwards has Dalglish with a trophy and Rodgers not.

I know where the pantheon of Liverpool cognoscenti, from Shankly down, would stand on a runners-up vs trophy-winning scenario.

It's only the League Cup, but it's a trophy. 

Hopefully, Rodgers will be have earned and achieved a favourable comparison come the end of May.

Using big words doesnt make your argument better. If you want to pretend that winning the league cup and finishing eight is better than what we've seen over the past three years then go ahead. But its not and dont expect others to buy it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It must be a generational thing. Football for me has always been about winning trophies. Otherwise why bother?

It definitely is. I'd just take a step towards greatness than stay still for a league cup.

It must be a generational thing. Football for me has always been about winning trophies. Otherwise why bother?

Yeah, winning trophies is nice. I'd quite like to win a lot more in the future. The groundwork Brendan is doing will set us up very nicely for that.

Using big words doesnt make your argument better. If you want to pretend that winning the league cup and finishing eight is better than what we've seen over the past three years then go ahead. But its not and dont expect others to buy it.

Jairz is right. I'm not expecting you or Moof to buy it.

And it's got nothing to do with big words.

They're not even big words.

They're just words.  Expressed in my way.

And it's just an opinion.

Not an argument.

I don't even want you to agree, because if your major concern is to denigrate my style of conversation, you're playing the man and not the ball anyway.

I know you don't like my opinions of Rodgers, even though they are never abusive nor even particularly harsh critically.

That's long established, big words or otherwise.

• Upvote 4

Some people would prefer it if Brendan actually won something before his record is used to denigrate what Kenny did in turning the club round from one of its lowest points for many years. Other people find that hard to understand.

• Upvote 13

Some people would prefer it if Brendan actually won something before his record is used to denigrate what Kenny did in turning the club round from one of its lowest points for many years. Other people find that hard to understand.

Brendan could win everything and people would still denigrate his record. Nobody is denigrating Dalglish's record either. Just because the man is a legend doesn't mean stuff has to be overlooked.

• Upvote 1

Brendan could win everything and people would still denigrate his record. Nobody is denigrating Dalglish's record either. Just because the man is a legend doesn't mean stuff has to be overlooked.

Why would you think this?? And who's overlooking stuff Robbie? I think most people understand that Dalglish's last half season in the league wasn't good enough, although there were mitigating circumstances to consider, and we still won a trophy. I wouldn't have sacked him and would have given him more time in the job to try to turn things around.

I'm a huge Rogers fan but If he was given the sack before Christmas there would be a lot of people on here who would have thought it was a just decision.  It was as bad if not worse than Kenny's last few months.  Thankfully for him he appears to have sympathetic owners behind him and has managed to turn things around but he's won nothing yet.  

Why would you think this?? And who's overlooking stuff Robbie? I think most people understand that Dalglish's last half season in the league wasn't good enough, although there were mitigating circumstances to consider, and we still won a trophy. I wouldn't have sacked him and would have given him more time in the job to try to turn things around.

I'm a huge Rogers fan but If he was given the sack before Christmas there would be a lot of people on here who would have thought it was a just decision.  It was as bad if not worse than Kenny's last few months.  Thankfully for him he has managed to turn things around but he's won nothing yet.  

Because it didnt take long for people to turn after last season along with saying bow much of a fluke it was. He doesnt seem to be well liked on here at all.

Because it didnt take long for people to turn after last season along with saying bow much of a fluke it was. He doesnt seem to be well liked on here at all.

If he starts winning things he'll get acclaimed for it, and rightly so.  

• Upvote 3

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's absolute madness and delusion to suggest Kenny did a better job than Rodgers is doing.

Thing is, Robbie is right; a lot of people on here just don't like him. They don't want to see him do poorly, but when he does they sure let people know what they think of him. The tables turned on him pretty quickly at the beginning of this season.

I do think some would do what they did with Rafa and find reasons to denigrate any success, just as they have with his progress, but I don't think there will be many.

• Upvote 2

It appears to depend on who wins and what they win. The importance of the league cup, for example, seems to vary manager to manager.