You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Better Call Saul

Elite

11 minutes ago, No2 said:

Jimmy in prison working on appeals would be a great spin off. Unfortunately I think he's getting a bullet in the head from some Mexican. 

Jimmys defo dead, Cartel or Nazis or the cops. I reckon a show with Kim in prison doing the same thing could be interesting but potentially straying into the orange is the new black territory (obviously much better). The actress defo deserves more screen time.

but I do think if it’s in universe original characters would be the way to go.

Just watched the final episode and there's loads swimming around in my head, lots to unpack there. Initial thoughts are though that it was an absolutely tremendous way to go out, sensational storytelling and writing, acting, directing, cinematography, the works, just spellbinding stuff.

****SPOILER ALERT****

The scene at the end, when Kim and Jimmy are sharing the cigarette, shot in black and white to signify that it's current day but the cigarette tip ever so faintly coloured to demonstrate the past still lingering, refusing to be extinguished. That was brilliant. Jimmy and Kim obviously love each other deeply and that spark will also endure.

I can understand why some people might (inevitably) be disappointed by this conclusion but hey, fuck those guys. If they don't get it, don't feel it by now, then they're firmly in my rear view.

Loved this, perfect end to a perfect series, and so much better than Breaking Bad that it's not even fair.

What say you?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Just watched the final episode and there's loads swimming around in my head, lots to unpack there. Initial thoughts are though that it was an absolutely tremendous way to go out, sensational storytelling and writing, acting, directing, cinematography, the works, just spellbinding stuff.

****SPOILER ALERT****

The scene at the end, when Kim and Jimmy are sharing the cigarette, shot in black and white to signify that it's current day but the cigarette tip ever so faintly coloured to demonstrate the past still lingering, refusing to be extinguished. That was brilliant. Jimmy and Kim obviously love each other deeply and that spark will also endure.

I can understand why some people might (inevitably) be disappointed by this conclusion but hey, fuck those guys. If they don't get it, don't feel it by now, then they're firmly in my rear view.

Loved this, perfect end to a perfect series, and so much better than Breaking Bad that it's not even fair.

What say you?

Just finished watching it too.  Agree with what you said CD.  Seems like Jimmy sacrificed himself to get Kim 'off' so to speak, that they are together apart both in their prisons of their own making.

****SPOILER****

Thinking about the episode some more and I think we just witnessed Jimmy pull the biggest volte face in cinema history.

We've spent 10 seasons watching Saul ascendant, possessing Jimmy to such an extent that we thought he was about to strangle an OAP and then how he callously took the piss out of Hank's grieving widow, it was done.

But then it was revealed that Kim had confessed, and that changed everything.

His conversation infront of the marshall on the plane, followed by the greatest performance of his life in court (both as a grifter and as a lawyer) Jimmy prevailed, Saul lost.

I'll rewatch those last 20 minutes later on. Those final scenes in the penatentiary are absolutely golden. Jimmy gave his freedom and the rest of his life so that Kim could be free.

4 seasons of Breaking Bad and 6 seasons of Better Call Saul lead to this; it was never about the drugs or the chicanery, it was always a love story, (im)pure and (not so) simple.

Perfection.

• Upvote 2

A brilliant last episode. I agree CD it was ultimately a love story, but that love story worked because of the scams and the drugs! I don't know why people would be unhappy with the ending. Once it was clear they were going to finish gene's story (I wasn't always sure they would do that), I figured it would only end in prison or maybe a very outside chance of Alaska with Jesse. 

I don't think it was better than breaking bad, I personally put them on a par, but amazingly quite different shows. There is some talk of them going back to this universe somewhere down the line, but there doesn't seem a lot left unless it's another prequel or its focussed on Kim. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

A brilliant last episode. I agree CD it was ultimately a love story, but that love story worked because of the scams and the drugs! I don't know why people would be unhappy with the ending. Once it was clear they were going to finish gene's story (I wasn't always sure they would do that), I figured it would only end in prison or maybe a very outside chance of Alaska with Jesse. 

I don't think it was better than breaking bad, I personally put them on a par, but amazingly quite different shows. There is some talk of them going back to this universe somewhere down the line, but there doesn't seem a lot left unless it's another prequel or its focussed on Kim. 

A perfect way to end. I hate all of this talk about universes and franchises, when the writers and producers next do something, I hope it's something of as equal quality but something fresh, and new.

• Upvote 1

I prefer Breaking Bad overall (Though it's very close) but BCS was an excellent spin-off, the best ever in fact. I was slightly worried that it would fizzle out after the last few episodes but that finale was outstanding and tied everything up nicely.

Jimmy is almost a hero in prison and can no doubt scheme to his heart's content and help the convicts with legal advice.

Kim gets back to doing what she loves.

Very satisfying end to a great show.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Elite said:

I prefer Breaking Bad overall (Though it's very close) but BCS was an excellent spin-off, the best ever in fact. I was slightly worried that it would fizzle out after the last few episodes but that final was outstanding and tied everything up nicely.

Jimmy is almost a hero in prison and can no doubt scheme to his heart's content and help the convicts with legal advice.

Kim gets back to doing what she loves.

Very satisfying end to a great show.

Frasier for me is probably the greatest spin off. Other than that I agree with every word.

I don't think it was a 10/10, it felt a bit rushed with the realisation of Kim being in trouble along with the confession. But having said that there was loads to love about the final episode too. Their last scene was the mirror of their first scene, the confession was a callback to the amazing Ozymandias episode with the confession to get Kim off the hook. The flashbacks, especially making Walter seem a harsher character than he felt in BB. And then finally Jimmy Baking Bread rather than Breaking Bad.

20 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I don't think it was a 10/10, it felt a bit rushed with the realisation of Kim being in trouble along with the confession. But having said that there was loads to love about the final episode too. Their last scene was the mirror of their first scene, the confession was a callback to the amazing Ozymandias episode with the confession to get Kim off the hook. The flashbacks, especially making Walter seem a harsher character than he felt in BB. And then finally Jimmy Baking Bread rather than Breaking Bad.

I'd lost the timeline so far back I had no idea what was going on. And as for the black and white filming,fuck right off with that self indulgent shite.

Also,the loss of Lalo Salamanca as a character meant everything after was nowhere near as good.

7/10 for post Lalo and 9/10 when he was part of the storyline. Kim was also a right hypocritical twat for me and far less interesting than the other characters. I was hoping that when she spilled the beans to Howard's widow that there was a back story to her being in on him getting murdered by Lalo. That would have worked well.

I thought the last episode was ok, the whole thing was a bit of a slog for me and I think they disappeared up their own arses with this programme to a large extent.

Take the drug cartel/Breaking Bad stuff out and it's just about two dodgy solicitors with a load of two minute long shots of people making coffee and putting their shoes on.

9.5/10 for cinematography 

5.5/10 in general

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Mook said:

I thought the last episode was ok, the whole thing was a bit of a slog for me and I think they disappeared up their own arses with this programme to a large extent.

Take the drug cartel/Breaking Bad stuff out and it's just about two dodgy solicitors with a load of two minute long shots of people making coffee and putting their shoes on.

9.5/10 for cinematography 

5.5/10 in general

Pretty much sums up my feelings. Too many moments dragged out. Well shot, but skippable. 

Teetered into self indulgence for me. It peaked with the family dynamic of Chuck, and Lalo's menace gave us a memorable baddie. Kim and Saul were just a bit dull on their own.

Feel like I was watching a different show to some.

Spoilers obviously.

Watched it on Wednesday and thought it was brilliant - so many call backs to earlier episodes. I really liked the Exit sign in the court room.

I thought the flash backs added further depth to characters particularly Mike, who knows now that his son was doomed with him as a father. going back to save him that night wouldn’t help. The only way was to go back to a time when he himself was still untainted. 

Chucks appearance was sad, he tried to clear the air but Jimmy wasn’t having it and they both knew the answer to “you’d do it for me”. It was great to see Marie too but she’ll never get the closure she wants.

Walters call back was a good reminder how arrogant he was, and how lost jimmy was when all he had left was money. 

the last few episodes while slower were great in my opinion. The high octane cartel story ended with Lalo. This was all about ‘Gene’ who went from being Uber cautious, to falling back into ‘slipping Jimmy’ which he thought he could control and then Into Saul when things started to go wrong. Him being found in the trash literally at the bottom of the barrel was poetic as he made this mess and it ended for him without fanfare. 

thankfully some remediable quality remains as he was able to regain his sense of self finally ending back as ‘James McGill’ by being able to go to prison and doing his penance. 

Kim’s ending is still heartbreaking as she’s not off the hook at all there’s still a looming civil case Jimmy didn’t save her. He just cast enough doubt on her statement to end the probability of a criminal case. I think he really just wanted to show her he had changed and needed her by his side one last time and sow her he was finally willing to face the music. 

kim is still stuck in her miserable life making no decisions but there’s hope with her volunteer work. I doubt she can move on from Jimmy though as he’s the love of her life and he isn’t getting out in this lifetime. 

a great series all in all.

• Upvote 3