You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Better Call Saul

Elite

I got into Breaking Bad a bit late, so didn't have to wait much between the two shows. Have to say up til now, I've liked the best seasons/bits of BB even better than BCS, but I think BCS is closing in...and fast. This half season has been top notch television, both in terms of storytelling, acting and pace. I think at times BCS has been too concerned with its style (not necessarily over substance), which has led to it being on the slow(ish) side. 

I'm probably going to have to watch it again start to finish to truly appreciate it, but it's magnificent at the moment.

Going to be a loooooong wait for July 12th now....

13 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I gave up after a couple of seasons because I thought it was too slow but I came back to it and I’m glad I did. Lalo Salamanca is surely one of the all time great characters. The actor who plays him is a fella called Tony Dalton and I thought this from a critic on his Wiki page was spot on. “It’s almost unreasonable how good a character Lalo is. To pull this off after five full seasons of this show and the full run of Breaking Bad, to just up and introduce someone this charming and evil and perfect, is basically showing off”

And as if he wasn't already cool enough he's driving a Legacy estate in the most recent episode. 

7 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Kim and Jimmy are just really horrible people Howard summed them up perfectly, they just have no redeeming features particularly her, cold and callous, deserve to have blood on their hands.

I mean I genuinely hate Kim.

Yep. He put temptation in her way, but she spiralled quickly and is dragging him down at this point. 

"I did it because i liked it and i was good at it," as another character once said. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rubble-rouser said:

Yep. He put temptation in her way, but she spiralled quickly and is dragging him down at this point. 

"I did it because i liked it and i was good at it," as another character once said. 

I would actually say the change in character from Kim is the part I like least about the show. And I know they've tried to show it was always there, but I found what she's done this season as a bit too far out of character.

• Like 1

I genuinely felt sad for Howard at the end of the episode.  The bit with the soda cans was subtle and brilliant at the same time, learning the trick from Chuck to calm down a situation before an explosion, something Lalo didn't give him a chance to even attempt.

The writing is superb.  The more I saw of Howard's home life the more I felt like everything he did professionally was just to make himself feel better about the shit show in his personal life.  A small part of me wanted him to make it to the current day and be a bit of a twat like Jimmy and Kim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, A Red said:

At last, an episode from this season I enjoyed, wasn't all filmed in the dark either. Gutted about Howard.

Brilliant slow acting from the guy who played Howard. Perfectly judged his transformation from smug git into decent, caring vulnerable person.

Loved that episode and we shouldn't be too harsh on Jimmy and Kim, both lifelong outsiders who've fought, scratched away and struggled to aspire.

Really looking forward to the resumption, I dare say that the events of this latest episode will resound greatly and act as a watershed in Jimmy and Kim's outlook and relationship. A paradigm shift, shit just got very real and walloped them both round the back of the head.

The writing is just stunning. It has to be remembered they are working backwards here, when they started writing series 1 there was no guarantees there would be a series 2 never mind 6 or 7 of them. It was a huge gamble to create such a slow show and we're reaping the benefits now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Brilliant slow acting from the guy who played Howard. Perfectly judged his transformation from smug git into decent, caring vulnerable person.

Loved that episode and we shouldn't be too harsh on Jimmy and Kim, both lifelong outsiders who've fought, scratched away and struggled to aspire.

Really looking forward to the resumption, I dare say that the events of this latest episode will resound greatly and act as a watershed in Jimmy and Kim's outlook and relationship. A paradigm shift, shit just got very real and walloped them both round the back of the head.

Jimmy and Kim are horrible 

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/05/2022 at 21:38, Captain Howdy said:

I gave up after a couple of seasons because I thought it was too slow but I came back to it and I’m glad I did. Lalo Salamanca is surely one of the all time great characters. The actor who plays him is a fella called Tony Dalton and I thought this from a critic on his Wiki page was spot on. “It’s almost unreasonable how good a character Lalo is. To pull this off after five full seasons of this show and the full run of Breaking Bad, to just up and introduce someone this charming and evil and perfect, is basically showing off”

He was in something on Walter Presents called Senor Avilla, set in Mexico in which he played an undertaker who had a secret double life as a hitman. 

He was very good in that too. But, for some reason, Channel 4 only screened the first two series of it.