You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF Car Buying Advice Required

Paul

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

I know absolutely nothing about cars but we're in need of a new one. I'm a bit loathe to buy a new one, ours is a 10 year old Hyundai i20, economic little runner, barely had anything wrong with it, only 70,000 on the clock but we need something bigger. I don't know where to start. Ideally, we'd like a hybrid but not sure our budget will stretch to one (unless the fuel savings are significant) and enough room for the two of us, dog and to throw camping gear in the boot. I sometimes drive a Kia Nero for work and that'd be ideal in terms of size. Pretty open minded on make and model, must have a DAB! 

I have £10-12k in mind but could be way off. Our neighbour is a car dealer and has said he'll sort me out - he reckons he can get £2k off the AutoTrader price of something if we tell him what we want, but I don't know what we want.

Any recommendations?

If you had no problem with the hyundai I would recommend either hyundai i30 or hyundai tucson. I think the tucson is equivalent to kia Nero. 

Couldn't have asked for a more aptly named forumite to give the first response, cheers Shooter. The Father-in-law has the old Tuscon, good shout. We've been thinking much bigger than the i20 but maybe just the next model up would suffice, such as the i30. We need to go and look at some. An estate/SUV does seem a big leap.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

Couldn't have asked for a more aptly named forumite to give the first response, cheers Shooter. The Father-in-law has the old Tuscon, good shout. We've been thinking much bigger than the i20 but maybe just the next model up would suffice, such as the i30. We need to go and look at some. An estate/SUV does seem a big leap.

I'd use a car comparison site just to weigh up your options, pros and cons. I'm not sure what the best ones are in your area (I'm assuming the UK). It will give you a rough idea of what you can afford and the good ones are pretty good on specs, economy etc. 

I use Auto scout and Mobile.de in Germany. You have links to both Private and traders. I'm sure there must be similar things in the UK. But if your neighbour is going to help you, then you can just use them for what I mentioned above. 

Might be worth adding a Honda HR-V to your list of considerations. It's much bigger than your current car without being massive. Still quite spacious inside so it will fulfil all the carrying criteria you've mentioned, and being a Honda the reliability is about as good as it gets. The 1.6 diesel is great for economy (assuming you do enough mileage to make running a diesel worth it) and the 1.5 petrol, while a lot less economical comes with an engine that won't ever give you any trouble. Some parts of the dash look a bit early-90s but if that sort of thing doesn't bother you, the car comes loaded with a lot of kit as standard so you get great value for money.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Right, a friend has asked my advice and I don't know what to say. Apart from all the usual shite you lot will inevitably come out with, can I pass the request on to you, the GF, who might, might, might just might be of some assistance in this regard? First world problems, I know.

His consideration is the colour combo. It's a choice of one from:

metallic white - red hood - red leather

metallic silver - red hood - red leather

metallic black - black hood - red leather

If you want to help (!) and see other pics, he's looking at the 25th anniversary Boxster which can be configured from this page. If you click the Boxster 25 years image, you can configure the colours and the accompanying photos change accordingly. It's actually quite interesting.

whitered.PNG

whitered2.PNG

silverred.PNG

silverred2.PNG

blackblack.PNG

blackblack2.PNG

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If I had 50k to spend it wouldnt be on a poxy car. Buy a 10k Fiesta and pocket the rest and spend it on wine,women and/or men,and song.

What song would you buy? 

2 hours ago, rb14 said:

Right, a friend has asked my advice and I don't know what to say. Apart from all the usual shite you lot will inevitably come out with, can I pass the request on to you, the GF, who might, might, might just might be of some assistance in this regard? First world problems, I know.

His consideration is the colour combo. It's a choice of one from:

metallic white - red hood - red leather

metallic silver - red hood - red leather

metallic black - black hood - red leather

If you want to help (!) and see other pics, he's looking at the 25th anniversary Boxster which can be configured from this page. If you click the Boxster 25 years image, you can configure the colours and the accompanying photos change accordingly. It's actually quite interesting.

whitered.PNG

whitered2.PNG

silverred.PNG

silverred2.PNG

blackblack.PNG

blackblack2.PNG

White, red hood with red leather. Classic combo for a drop top.

Black is a bitch to keep clean to look it's best. Some people say silver doesnt show the shmutz much. Strangely white isnt hard to keep clean.