You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF Car Buying Advice Required

Paul

Not buying but I have a 12 yo peugeot 307 auto and need to buy oil for it.  What kind of oil do people use?  There seems to be a million options. 

It used to be you had to use specific oil for diesels and another for petrol them semi synthetic or synthetic. Absolute fucking mare.

To be honest in a 12 year old car that has a bit of wear on it, you might be better with some Mobil Super 2000 10W-40

• Upvote 1

Not buying but I have a 12 yo peugeot 307 auto and need to buy oil for it. What kind of oil do people use? There seems to be a million options.

I was confronted with this a little while ago. I was sure it was going to be a real headache but it turned out to be a lot easier than I expected. Go into any filling station shop and you'll find a whole shelf full of different oils. You'll find which oil is suited for which cars on the back of the bottles.

• Upvote 1

I got this car from Le Ma-in-Law and it absolutely eats oil so she left a virtually new bottle in the boot but I threw it away once it was empty rather than take note.  I feel confident I will not put rape Seed Oil in my car by mistake now 

If the car is burning lots of oil it wont matter too much what you stick in it, Sounds like it could be one emissions test away from the scrappy

Dare say its meant to have 10 or 15w -40  synthetic oil but you could try a more viscous oil such as 20w 40 . might slow the engines appetite a little.. Assume you've checked the obvious like big leaks and a blown head gasket.

If the car is burning lots of oil it wont matter too much what you stick in it, Sounds like it could be one emissions test away from the scrappy

Dare say its meant to have 10 or 15w -40  synthetic oil but you could try a more viscous oil such as 20w 40 . might slow the engines appetite a little.. Assume you've checked the obvious like big leaks and a blown head gasket.

Me ma in law reckons it's been like that since she bought it new.  A dozen MOTs later and mechanics from france and the UK haven't been able to establish a reason for it's insatiable thirst for oil.  Flew through it's MOT in January as well 

If it is using a lot of oil, if a gasket hasnt gone, its usually the valve stem guides that are worn. But it could be that that particular pugeot engine does use a lot of oil to keep itself lubricated and spit it out during the overall combustion proces. If it is getting through MOTs just keep an eye on the oil level and keep it topped up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If it is using a lot of oil, if a gasket hasnt gone, its usually the valve stem guides that are worn. But it could be that that particular pugeot engine does use a lot of oil to keep itself lubricated and spit it out during the overall combustion proces. If it is getting through MOTs just keep an eye on the oil level and keep it topped up.

Cheers mate.  I did panic when it first flashed up the message (the car is set to french and the menu button on the console is fucked so I can't change it) but I now know the french for fuel level too low, check oil level and risk of ice

Advice needed. After years of buying cheap run arounds and my current car showing signs of needing replacing coupled with a new job that will involve some travelling about it looking at getting a new motor.

I don't really have the funds for a chunky deposit and the aforementioned car has no trade in value so what's my best option, leasing or buying a nearly new used? Am I going to be able to haggle with the dealers? I'm looking at spending around 200-250 a month but if leasing need at least 10k mileage, looking at a medium sized car, Volvo V40 maybe.

Advice needed. After years of buying cheap run arounds and my current car showing signs of needing replacing coupled with a new job that will involve some travelling about it looking at getting a new motor.

I don't really have the funds for a chunky deposit and the aforementioned car has no trade in value so what's my best option, leasing or buying a nearly new used? Am I going to be able to haggle with the dealers? I'm looking at spending around 200-250 a month but if leasing need at least 10k mileage, looking at a medium sized car, Volvo V40 maybe.

If you're not a badge snob, take a look at the Dacia Duster for under 10 grand. It is a really good car. It gets good write ups in the motoring press.

Whatever you buy, dont get a diesel. With their DPF's and EGR valves, you're just asking for trouble doing short journeys. You can get lease cars on as low as 6000 miles pa. Be aware that if leasing and intending handing the car back at the end of the term, they'll go over it with a fine toothcomb. More than 2 small dents and they will charge you to put it right.

If you want to pay zero or little road tax, better get a new car registered before 1 April. Road tax will be a minimum £140pa for virtually all cars except pure electric registered from April. Cars currently with zero road tax like PHEVs or less than 121 grams of CO2 emissions will retain their low road tax even after 1 April.

• Downvote 1

Nearly new Skoda Octavia.

Brilliant car and great value for money. Don't write it off until you've drove one.

This is correct too although Skodas are outside being a budget brand now. Even the Superb is a superb car if you want something bigger. Be careful with some of their DSG auto's though. The older 'dry' clutches of these autos have been shown to develop issues.

• Downvote 1

• 2 years later...

Quite bizarre this as I'm looking for some advice so searched for this thread and found my previous call for advice which I ignored.

Two years ago I got a two year old Focus which was absolutely fine for my needs at the time if a little boring. So I'm two years into a 5 year finance deal and I'm thinking I want something better as my job and salary has changed for the better and I recently cleared a large credit card debt meaning I'm in a better position 2 years on.

What's the score with finance agreements? Can I speak to the company and say I'm happy to continue but want to change car and the contract runs for five more years and some adjustments to be made in payments or do I find another car and work it out through the dealer where they clear my current agreement and start fresh with a new one?

5 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Quite bizarre this as I'm looking for some advice so searched for this thread and found my previous call for advice which I ignored.

Two years ago I got a two year old Focus which was absolutely fine for my needs at the time if a little boring. So I'm two years into a 5 year finance deal and I'm thinking I want something better as my job and salary has changed for the better and I recently cleared a large credit card debt meaning I'm in a better position 2 years on.

What's the score with finance agreements? Can I speak to the company and say I'm happy to continue but want to change car and the contract runs for five more years and some adjustments to be made in payments or do I find another car and work it out through the dealer where they clear my current agreement and start fresh with a new one?

They'll more than likely accommodate you with a new deal if you use the same dealership seeing as they'll be getting more money from you.

I'm in the same boat, 2 years into a 5 year finance for a Focus. They are good cars but I get what you mean about being pretty dull, I'm going to grind it out and upgrade in another 3 years whilst you're swanning around in your new motor. Cunt.

2 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Yeah that's what I thought regards going back to previous dealer however they are only a smallish independent so choice might be limited if I'm after a specific make or model so would quite like the option of shopping around.

I’ve got a BMW 1 series 1.6 diesel you can have for 12k. 2017 with 14k on the clock. 

(I’ve never felt so macho) 

11 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve got a BMW 1 series 1.6 diesel you can have for 12k. 2017 with 14k on the clock. 

(I’ve never felt so macho) 

Not bad, but much room for improvement, while it is clear you want to sell the car you didn't make it seem like you were doing him a favour by selling it.

You also forgot to mention the guy who is coming this afternoon who has already said he wants it and is just getting the money, oh hang on that's him coming around the corner now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2