You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

You really expect more attacking players? I don't expect any players at all at all, unless we sell someone like Lucas or Allen.

I was only thinking earlier, there's maybe an argument depending on formation and what they truly believe about Sturridge being back shortly that we can probably live without ibe or markovic and one of them is a possibility to be loaned on the last day of the window.

I'm not saying it's what I would do, but I probably wouldn't have chosen benteke either. I'm just thinking about where we are and what's likely to happen .

Everyone seems to have forgot a lot of reliable journos came out a few weeks ago and said we were in for Pedro and Cherisov which leads me to believe they were briefed by the club.

I expect another attacking player signed, the money's there and judging by those links a few weeks ago we were after one.

Which reliable journo's?

Which reliable journo's?

Tony Barrett, Andy Hunter and Paul Joyce.I find it strange the club would say leak an interest in two players for that position and not sign anyone.

Enrique and Balotelli will leave atleast, hopefully Borini aswell.Coutinho could be playing as a cm at times for us like he has for Brazil which maybe why we would be interested in another am.I also think we will get another left back to compete with Moreno, Adriano from Barca was linked a few weeks ago but it's gone quiet, he wants out and it looks like a good fit for us imo.

Tony Barrett, Andy Hunter and Paul Joyce.I find it strange the club would say leak an interest in two players for that position and not sign anyone.

Enrique and Balotelli will leave atleast, hopefully Borini aswell.Coutinho could be playing as a cm at times for us like he has for Brazil which maybe why we would be interested in another am.I also think we will get another left back to compete with Moreno, Adriano from Barca was linked a few weeks ago but it's gone quiet, he wants out and it looks like a good fit for us imo.

Where those reliable journos linking is before we signed benteke? I don't recall a credible link to anyone since that deal was completed.

We still need another world class forward and FFS can we please just sign a DM? What is the problem with this position? Is Rodgers allergic to the idea or what? It's utterly foolhardy to go into another season only relying on Lucas. Buy a new midfield dude or get run over. Simple. 

• Upvote 1

I don't believe we are done Mr. Ayre, there are three fires still smoldering

Lucas Digne

Alexandre Lacazette

Moussa Sissoko

I think if we get another it will be a case of having a chance to upgrade for reasonable value, i.e. Illaramendi comes available and we decide to go for him and sell Allen.  In other words, the kind of move we don't particularly need to make, but that we could make just to make us better.

Can't see Lacazette at all.  We quite clearly decided to go after Benteke instead, and I cannot possibly see the scenario in which we spend 90m on new attackers in one season.

• Upvote 1

This could be a funny season. We could come 30 points behind the champions or we could challenge. If our new signings come good, i think it will be the latter. Milner, clyne and benteke aren't exactly world beaters but they are a massive improvement on what we had last season. Firmino could be a player of the year type - he has that ability. If we get through our first few games well, i think it will set us up.

Assier illiramendi would be the icing on the cake to a very good summer. He's very good and the type of lad that would get in any other team in the league.

I can't believe that we've spent over £200m in two seasons and Lucas is still our most effective defensive midfielder and before some quim bangs on about Barce and not needing to be physically dominant to tighten up midfield I'll point to the fact that as busy as our midfielders are they are still constantly out muscled and dominated by shite like Crystal Palace and Hull.

• Upvote 4

It would appear that another midfielder who can read the game, is mobile with strong recovery and can dictate the play is still needed.

We can try and manage without such a player, or worse, play Lucas, but we leave ourselves open to be torn apart by marauding opposition rapists.

• Upvote 3

It would appear that another midfielder who can read the game, is mobile with strong recovery and can dictate the play is still needed.

We can try and manage without such a player, or worse, play Lucas, but we leave ourselves open to be torn apart by marauding opposition rapists.

Ideally we would get two and sell Allen and Lucas and have Henderson and Milner as squad players.

• Upvote 1

No point getting worked up about the lack of a top quality DM, it's been clear for a long time that it isn't in Rodgers' plans, sadly.

If we got another midfielder, it'd only hamper Can's development anyway, and we're overloaded with number 10s too, so someone would get shunted aside there as well. If this lopsided approach is what the manager wants, then I'm fine with it, as long as there are no excuses afterwards.

The Lacazette rumour is obviously coming from his agent, or from Lyon themselves, who need a bit of cash.

I expect Lyon thought they were going to get a £35m bid this summer, but now the transfer window is progressing and it seems that there isn't any takers for big money so they're having to engineer it themselves.

I get the feeling that Lacazette is someone like Suarez when he was at Ajax, where lots of clubs seem to have this reluctance to take a gamble on him, but then he turns out to be worth £70m.

It's painfully obvious that we should have bought Lacazette instead of Benteke. As much as I like Benteke, he's not worth £20m, let alone £35m.

Same with Berahino, he's got lots of offer a team like ours, but Rodgers was hell-bent on spunking the lot of Benteke and getting one over on Sherwood. Because that's how classy Rodgers is.

EDIT: almost like magic, Lacazette is set to sign a new deal with Lyon!

It's interesting to note that Lacazette scored 8 more league goals that Ibrahimovic last season.

Also interesting to note that Nabil Fekir set up 9 goals for Lyon, and scored 13 himself, which makes me very interested in knowing why the fuck we weren't interested in the 22 year old lad.

He's France's Young Player of the Year, and over the last 10 years has been in (mostly) esteemed company. Enough for me to be really interested in him. Not enough for Brendan though. No. He prefers attacking midfielders with great hair and 180 spins.

2006 Franck Ribéry Marseille

2007 Samir Nasri Marseille

2008 Hatem Ben Arfa Lyon

2009 Eden Hazard Lille

2010 Eden Hazard Lille

2011 Mamadou Sakho Paris SG

2012 Younès Belhanda Montpellier

2013 Florian Thauvin SC Bastia

2014 Marco Verratti Paris SG

2015 Nabil Fekir Lyon

• Upvote 2

Likewise Lacazette, the Player of the Year.

Shitty list of luminaries. Can see why Rodgers preferred Benteke.

2004 Didier Drogba Marseille

2005 Michael Essien Lyon

2006 Juninho Pernambucano Lyon

2007 Florent Malouda Lyon

2008 Karim Benzema Lyon

2009 Yoann Gourcuff Bordeaux

2010 Lisandro Lopez Lyon

2011 Eden Hazard Lille

2012 Eden Hazard Lille

2013 Zlatan Ibrahimović Paris SG

2014 Zlatan Ibrahimović Paris SG

2015 Alexandre Lacazette Lyon

I think to myself, what would Rafa have done. Benteke or Lacazette? I know the answer.

Mark Corrigan could get his end away with us mate, let alone a hardened raper.

Can you post an example of such a link being made by one or all of the above 3 please, JP?

http://www.lfc.pl/files/pdf/2015_07_07_times.pdf

I found it last night by all three and know they said it on the 7th of July, this is all I can find now by Barrett.Firmino was already signed and I don't see Benteke as a replacement for Sterling, I agree with those sceptical about us being after another am but I don't know why the club would leak that if they wernt going to sign one.

I want a dm but one of the best displays I've seen under Rodgers was when we played Lucas, Allen and Henderson in a 3 away to spurs where we won 5-0.

Milner and Henderson have a lot of energy and should be able to help cover whoever plays the deepest of the three, I can see it working although I would like a dm brought in to replace Lucas.

The Lacazette rumour is obviously coming from his agent, or from Lyon themselves, who need a bit of cash.

I expect Lyon thought they were going to get a £35m bid this summer, but now the transfer window is progressing and it seems that there isn't any takers for big money so they're having to engineer it themselves.

I get the feeling that Lacazette is someone like Suarez when he was at Ajax, where lots of clubs seem to have this reluctance to take a gamble on him, but then he turns out to be worth £70m.

It's painfully obvious that we should have bought Lacazette instead of Benteke. As much as I like Benteke, he's not worth £20m, let alone £35m.

Same with Berahino, he's got lots of offer a team like ours, but Rodgers was hell-bent on spunking the lot of Benteke and getting one over on Sherwood. Because that's how classy Rodgers is.

EDIT: almost like magic, Lacazette is set to sign a new deal with Lyon!

It's interesting to note that Lacazette scored 8 more league goals that Ibrahimovic last season.

Also interesting to note that Nabil Fekir set up 9 goals for Lyon, and scored 13 himself, which makes me very interested in knowing why the fuck we weren't interested in the 22 year old lad.

He's France's Young Player of the Year, and over the last 10 years has been in (mostly) esteemed company. Enough for me to be really interested in him. Not enough for Brendan though. No. He prefers attacking midfielders with great hair and 180 spins.

2006 Franck Ribéry Marseille

2007 Samir Nasri Marseille

2008 Hatem Ben Arfa Lyon

2009 Eden Hazard Lille

2010 Eden Hazard Lille

2011 Mamadou Sakho Paris SG

2012 Younès Belhanda Montpellier

2013 Florian Thauvin SC Bastia

2014 Marco Verratti Paris SG

2015 Nabil Fekir Lyon

Let's face it, you've barely seen Lacazette play or, more likely, never seen him play at all and you certainly have no idea whether he'd be willing to come here or not or how much he'd cost. He said at the start of the summer (before announcing he wanted to stay another year at Lyon) that he would only consider a move to a big Champions League side and his chairman publicly mocked the idea of him signing for Liverpool, neither of which fits your narrative that they were all desperate for him to come here and only Rodgers' ego and stupidity has prevented it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

http://www.lfc.pl/files/pdf/2015_07_07_times.pdf

I found it last night by all three and know they said it on the 7th of July, this is all I can find now by Barrett.Firmino was already signed and I don't see Benteke as a replacement for Sterling, I agree with those sceptical about us being after another am but I don't know why the club would leak that if they wernt going to sign one.

Thanks.

Being as we're the kings of monitoring and given how such things work, I'd say "...have the option of following up their interest in" is a long way from him saying we're in for him/them, while reading past transfer windows and what has been intimated by the likes of Pearce and Ayre recently signposts that we're done for the summer, with the potential exceptions of a budget left-back or Lucas replacement if certain circumstances arise.

Would be very happy to be wrong, like.

• Upvote 1