You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

Well, let's be fair to FSG.

The said they would have sacked Kenny, even if he did win the FA cup.

I think when winning 2/3 competitions you enter is a sackable offense, in the explicit words of the owners, then it's fair to conclude that trophies simply aren't a priority.

Finishing closer to relegation than the top 4 may have been a factor.

I love to see these dreamed up teams of how we will play next season.I May be a cynic,but I would wait until any of these so called signings have a red shirt on.

Yep, what the fuck is that about. People needs to be reminded that our majestic line-up currently looks like this:

Mignolet

Manquillo - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno

Henderson - Can

Lallana - Coutinho - Markovic

Origi

With the subs: Jones, Toure, Wisdom, Lucas, Allen, Ibe, Balotelli

And also: Enrique, Lovren, Manquillo, Ilori, Alberto, Lambert, Borini

Plus the crocked players: Sturridge, Flannagan

And the players who're likely to leave this summer: Aspas, Coates, Johnson, Sterling

Yep, what the fuck is that about. People needs to be reminded that our majestic line-up currently looks like this:

Mignolet

Manquillo - Skrtel - Sakho - Moreno

Henderson - Can

Lallana - Coutinho - Markovic

Origi

With the subs: Jones, Toure, Wisdom, Lucas, Allen, Ibe, Balotelli

And also: Enrique, Lovren, Manquillo, Ilori, Alberto, Lambert, Borini

Plus the crocked players: Sturridge, Flannagan

And the players who're likely to leave this summer: Aspas, Coates, Johnson, Sterling

A funny experience. Compared this squad to the infamous Hogdson team of 2020/2011 (the last time we were completely shit). I'd say that squad looks two times more powerful:

Reina

Johnson - Carragher - Skrtel - Aurelio

Gerrard - Lucas

Kuyt - Meireles - Maxi

Suárez

Subs: Jones, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Shelvey, Cole, Carroll, N'Gog
Also: Wilson, Flanagan, Spearing, Poulsen, Pacheco, Jovanovic

Players sold or loaned out after the start of, or midway into, the season: Cavalieri, Konchesky, Aquilini, Torres, Babel, Mascherano

A funny experience. Compared this squad to the infamous Hogdson team of 2020/2011 (the last time we were completely shit). I'd say that squad looks two times more powerful:

Reina

Johnson - Carragher - Skrtel - Aurelio

Gerrard - Lucas

Kuyt - Meireles - Maxi

Suárez

Subs: Jones, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Shelvey, Cole, Carroll, N'Gog
Also: Wilson, Flanagan, Spearing, Poulsen, Pacheco, Jovanovic

Players sold or loaned out after the start of, or midway into, the season: Cavalieri, Konchesky, Aquilini, Torres, Babel, Mascherano

Oh fuck, he's coming back.

Cant really get on board with JAmes Milner signing. There is too much in common with the Joe Cole signing 5 years ago.England international coming from a very successful club where he wasn't first choice on a free with massive wages, 29 years old and being hailed as major signing.

Can see us loaning him out next year because nobody will take him as his wages are too high and he is no longer up to it.

Cant really get on board with JAmes Milner signing. There is too much in common with the Joe Cole signing 5 years ago.England international coming from a very successful club where he wasn't first choice on a free with massive wages, 29 years old and being hailed as major signing.

Can see us loaning him out next year because nobody will take him as his wages are too high and he is no longer up to it.

There would appear to be quite a difference between the two in terms of personality and will to succeed though. And I reckon we were the only club interested in taking the beaten docket that Joe Cole was.

there are comparisons to be made. Both wanted to play centrally and play more often.

cole was first choice for chelsea for a long time while milner has always been a squad player so hopefully he has a far greater appetite to succeed with us than joke hole.

Milner is an essential signing if the disgusting Hedge Fund Gang and their YESMAN want us to at least finish Top 8. There are two major difference with Cole, that (a) Chelsea did not want Cole anymore, while City offered silly money to Milner to stay and that ( b ) Cole was totally unfit, while Milner will become easily our fittest player. Also Milner is versatile, while Cole didn't really have an actual position.

In fact Ings remind me a lot of Cole in terms of the touches he takes on the ball before he decides what he wants to do with it and how he turns around and around and around.

There would appear to be quite a difference between the two in terms of personality and will to succeed though. And I reckon we were the only club interested in taking the beaten docket that Joe Cole was.

I seem to remember Arsenal and Spurs being heavily linked with Cole at the time and it being touted as a major coup that we managed to sign him ahead of them. Might have all just been media speculation though or possibly they were interested but not insane enough to offer him the sort of wages we did. Agree that Milner seems to be a very different player though in terms of personality or will to succeed. If people can't get excited by his signing fair enough as he's not exactly the most exciting signing ever but I can't imagine we'll ever have any problems with his fitness or professionalism.

Both this squad and Hodgeson's squads were shite, Koncheski was the worst player I've ever seen in red. 

That being said, I haven't felt this downbeat about transfers since Souness came in and starting buying players like Dicks. You were waiting for the punchline but it never came. 

• Upvote 1

I get the whole Joe Cole thing.

He gave the interview after leaving basically saying he was reading from a script when describing his honour to play for the "biggest club in England"- basically not meaning a word of it.

Some players, good and bad, never develop or had any kind of affinity with the club and it can reflect on their perfomances and career with us- Cole, Konchesky, Adam, Poulsen,Ince, Aquallani 

Other players, some not world beaters, just hit the spot and remain one of ours even when they leave-    Garcia, Alonso, Smicer- to lesser extent- Heggem, Cisse, Dossena, Berger, 

Actually, reading that back- the first lot of players were just shite  

Reports saying Juve are going to sell Tevez for 10m Euros.  

Get him.  I don't care if he wants to go back to Argentina.  I don't care if he is 31.

He'll improve us now.  We should pay him big wages to come here.  We're willing to give Milner £150k FFS.

• Upvote 2