You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Middle Class Generalisation Thread

Section_31

I work in the seventh circle of hell for most of this property based bollocks.

It’s the entitlement.

I work in a wealthy area of the south east at the moment. A nice town, not the nicest/poshest, but enough that many who live there feel they have worked hard to get there. Truth is, the reputation is greater than the reality for most, so the nicer areas are more insulated and those of middle to lower middle classes are defensive. They harbour hopes of joining the top 2 or 3%, but are destined to live in their over extended interwar semi with a massive driveway, rear decking and trips to B&Q for Cooke and Lewis mid priced vanity basins. 

its those people who cannot accept being told they can’t have, are wrong or have anything not go their way. 

They equate their modest (due to their privileged start) success with talent and intellect. When they have largely accrued what they have in spite of their effort and talent.

I have spend about a fifth of my week on average dealing with complaints. By enlarge they are mid quartile achievers who have been told all their life they can have what they want and kick up a massive fuss when they can’t or something goes against them.

These things are a mutant species compared to those that live in new estates in the north west. 

• Like 1

My brother in law lives off Green Lane in Fairfield, he thinks he’s middle class. Drives a 16 year old Scenic and shops in Sainsbury’s and M&S. He is an Uber cunt. My cousin an ex Heroin addict has his own business, lives in a flat in Kirkdale and drives very expensive Mercedes. He has no illusions, he is common as muck.

Cars mean fuck all. Only cunts think they do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

My brother in law lives off Green Lane in Fairfield, he thinks he’s middle class. Drives a 16 year old Scenic and shops in Sainsbury’s and M&S. He is an Uber cunt. My cousin an ex Heroin addict has his own business, lives in a flat in Kirkdale and drives very expensive Mercedes. He has no illusions, he is common as muck.

Cars mean fuck all. Only cunts think they do.

I think it’s all the smack heads, burglars and prostitutes in my family that keep me grounded.  

22 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think it’s all the smack heads, burglars and prostitutes in my family that keep me grounded.  

Saying that I’m currently in the kitchen looking at the temperature of the beef joint on my Bluetooth meat thermometer so I’m trying to be a cunt.  

• Upvote 1

In my school we had a weird mix of middle class Crosby kids, down to earth normal/average kids from Waterloo and then a few scalls from Seaforth, Netherton, Thornton and Bootle.

The middle class kids would form their own little group and go on the skiing holidays organised by the school every February. They cost quite a bit even back then and anyone who went on them always had a smug superiority complex. It was quite a weird hierarchy as they all lived within half a mile of each other in one particular part of Crosby. They referred to everyone from Seaforth or Bootle as the "Bootle trash". A few of their parents were teachers and would also pay for them to have tutors to help them get better exam results.

I've spoken to a few of my mates about this and none of them ever seemed to attend schools with such a weird hierarchy. They either went to schools where everyone was rough or everyone had a similar social standing. Mine almost sounds like an American TV high school. 

I bumped into a few of them from school in the pub a couple of years after leaving and they told me they had just been on a "lads" holiday. Expected them to say Magaluf, Ibiza or Benidorm but they had been to New Zealand to watch rugby. 

5 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

In my school we had a weird mix of middle class Crosby kids, down to earth normal/average kids from Waterloo and then a few scalls from Seaforth, Netherton, Thornton and Bootle.

The middle class kids would form their own little group and go on the skiing holidays organised by the school every February. They cost quite a bit even back then and anyone who went on them always had a smug superiority complex. It was quite a weird hierarchy as they all lived within half a mile of each other in one particular part of Crosby. They referred to everyone from Seaforth or Bootle as the "Bootle trash". A few of their parents were teachers and would also pay for them to have tutors to help them get better exam results.

I've spoken to a few of my mates about this and none of them ever seemed to attend schools with such a weird hierarchy. They either went to schools where everyone was rough or everyone had a similar social standing. Mine almost sounds like an American TV high school. 

I bumped into a few of them from school in the pub a couple of years after leaving and they told me they had just been on a "lads" holiday. Expected them to say Magaluf, Ibiza or Benidorm but they had been to New Zealand to watch rugby. 

I can relate. I was in Cairns travelling years ago and heard someone say my name behind me in the lobby of a backpackers hostel. Turned round and it was a group of lads from the year below from our school. Sound enough lads but middle class farts. Almost looking at me as if to say "What are you doing here?" Difference being I'd just left the Navy and had fully funded myself whereas they'd been boxed off by their parents to go and 'discover' themselves. 

My exes parents were middle class. To be fair her Dad is a property surveyor and works his arse off to get what they have so Its no slight on him but her mother. Fuck me. "Afternoon tea" "Gym for a coffee and a chat" proper stuck up twat who looks down her nose at everyone. Doesn't deserve her husband one bit. 

I think the Middle Class has changed since we were kids. 

When I was a kid I'd have said the Liverpool middle class would be the likes of retired teachers living on Mather Avenue with a sensible car, conservatory and lots of savings in the bank. They're tories or new labour, frown on outward displays of wealth and don't go out much, except to the very local restaurant, usually with a generic name - Luigi's if it's Italian or Bombay Star if it's Indian, and is the only destination for meals out and all family birthdays. 

These days I'd say they're probably living on new build estate in a rough area like Huyton, with a gimmicky name like "the old arse factory", at least one of them works for BT Openreach with a van outside, have matching 4x4 lease cars, and no savings but a considerable amount of debt. They also have zero interest or understanding of politics nor anything that goes on beyond their estate.

26 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I was at Manor so we had a very similar mix of people given the catchment. We also had the skiing trip, but not the divide to that extent.

I think your school defo took a few more scalls, as it was a bigger in take to the catchment was bigger 

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I can relate. I was in Cairns travelling years ago and heard someone say my name behind me in the lobby of a backpackers hostel. Turned round and it was a group of lads from the year below from our school. Sound enough lads but middle class farts. Almost looking at me as if to say "What are you doing here?" Difference being I'd just left the Navy and had fully funded myself whereas they'd been boxed off by their parents to go and 'discover' themselves. 

My exes parents were middle class. To be fair her Dad is a property surveyor and works his arse off to get what they have so Its no slight on him but her mother. Fuck me. "Afternoon tea" "Gym for a coffee and a chat" proper stuck up twat who looks down her nose at everyone. Doesn't deserve her husband one bit. 

It's annoying isnt it?. One lad who was in this little clique had parents who owned their own business and had a massive house in Blundellsands. 

I am friends with him on Faceaids and he sent me a message after I had accepted his friend request saying he had looked at all my travel photos on there and couldn't believe I've been to so many places. A bit like your situation where they were affected that you had funded your own travel. 

His Dad went bankrupt a few years later after basically living like a proper lottery winner for years, going on tons of holidays, having 4 cars, taking helicopter and pilot lessons so I think he has to fund is own holidays now. 

8 minutes ago, RJ Fan club said:

I was at Manor so we had a very similar mix of people given the catchment. We also had the skiing trip, but not the divide to that extent.

I think your school defo took a few more scalls, as it was a bigger in take to the catchment was bigger 

Yep, we had some proper rough arse cunts in my school. One lad got done for armed robbery when he was 18 and another got 3 years for kidnapping the son of the manager of the George in Moor Lane. Another ended up living in Nazareth house for a couple of years after her parents died of alcohol abuse. 

I think the same 15 kids went on the skiing holidays every year. The last 2 years they didn't even bother sending an expression of interest to the parents to see if their kids wanted to go on it. 

I have an uncle that thinks he's middle class, he has a nice house but isn't loaded, drives a basic car. I remember going around to his house for a party about 10 years ago, he gets the wine out and makes a point of how "I bet you've never had this." Which equates to a £7 bottle. He then starts bragging about how he only watches Blu-Ray DVDs as though no one else does, he shut up when I told him I have a 4K TV. His whole life is about one-upmanship.

• Upvote 1

We had a few that got into organised crime. one burnt down a school to provide a diversion for a massive armed robbery (he turned up on a documentary about 2 yrs ago complaining about benefits, although he had a different name) another blew his brains out in the toilet ofna

pub as he owed the wrong people too much money, about 4 or 5 in prison.  I have feeling they weren’t listening in RE. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

Yep, we had some proper rough arse cunts in my school. One lad got done for armed robbery when he was 18 and another got 3 years for kidnapping the son of the manager of the George in Moor Lane. Another ended up living in Nazareth house for a couple of years after her parents died of alcohol abuse. 

I think the same 15 kids went on the skiing holidays every year. The last 2 years they didn't even bother sending an expression of interest to the parents to see if their kids wanted to go on it. 

3 lads I used to know robbed a post office and got sent down not long after we left school. One of them looked like Plug from the Bash Street kids and was about six inches taller than the others so had no chance of getting away with it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

We had a few that got into organised crime. one burnt down a school to provide a diversion for a massive armed robbery (he turned up on a documentary about 2 yrs ago complaining about benefits, although he had a different name) another blew his brains out in the toilet ofna

pub as he owed the wrong people too much money, about 4 or 5 in prison.  I have feeling they weren’t listening in RE. 

That’s a catholic school for you. 

• Upvote 1