You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New York. What to do there?

Anny Road

Off there for a week. Manhattan and N Jersey. 1/2 the time will be in with my family so fuck that I'm off out.

Been before and done empire state, statue of liberty, etc etc but will have to do it again with the kids so all the obvious ones are covered.

Thing is when she fucks off shopping i wouldn't mind seeing something different.

Heard there is a museum of space and flight on an aircraft carrier, love to see grand central station. Want a run in Central Park and for some reason fancy a wander around Harlem and the village  probably get bummed but hey ho.

Any other different ideas from you superbly traveled and cultured members.

going in a few months so nice one for starting the thread. Im growing my hair and I'm going to get myself a warriors vest and just walk round punching people until i get shot.

what a way to go 

I had considered that as an option but then I thought it might just be quicker to hire a car and try driving around the place.

• Upvote 1

I'm off there on the 5th February.

Statten Island ferry is on my list. Make sure you go to Jimmy's Corner just off Times Sq. for a drink, proper pub.

Also fancy seeing the Ghostbusters HQ and catching some Jazz.

I think there's a Warriors tour btw.

I'm off there on the 5th February. Statten Island ferry is on my list. Make sure you go to Jimmy's Corner just off Times Sq. for a drink, proper pub. Also fancy seeing the Ghostbusters HQ and catching some Jazz. I think there's a Warriors tour btw.

I think most would swerve that. 

One of my lads got back from there yesterday,went with his girl said it was class he done the usual sightseeing stuff,Broadways shows,he went the Knicks game on Monday said it was boss went on the ale after it loads of bars great atmosphere,sport on in all the bars so you wont miss any games when your out there.

One for Stig when you go mate go the rooftop bars with your girl me lad said there really smart and the views at night are something else.

If anyone wants any info I'll ask me lad and pass it on.

• Upvote 1

Intrepid is the aircraft carrier with a submarine and the space shuttle attached.

It is a good event. Some other decent stuff around there too.

Bit of a tip the space shuttle is a let down. It has all the appeal of a Skoda. You look at it and think whoever went into space in that was either ballsy or dumb.

The highline park is worth a wander.

High-line is definitely worth a walk. It begins in Chelsea, home to the White Horse Tavern where Dylan Thomas did his drinking. So if you like facsimiles of most old UK pubs, but with pissy waitresses admonishing you for daring to walk to the bar and buying your own pint - go there! 

Harlem's mostly OK for tourists and is more West African in flavour these days. Striver's Row is lovely - That Harlem has always been dirt poor means it's amazingly well preserved. Worth half a day at most.

Catch a Yankees or Mets game - it's decent fun and Yankee Stadium is out in The Bronx, so you can say you've been.

East Village great for food and hipster bars doing great craft ales (Deu is a decent little joint). Try Crif Dogs near there -make sure you use the payphone (dial '1')...

Just got back Friday- we went to a Brooklyn Nets game as the Knicks were over here while we wee there. Tickets are cheaper and they're a better team this season if that makes a difference to you.

My Mrs is pregnant so we did a Big Bus Tour which picks up from outside M & Ms world in Times Square. It's hop on, hop off (we didn't get off a lot as she got tired easy), but that's a pretty good way of getting about we found. You can do a package which includes uptown,downtown,Brookyn and nighttime tours for your money.

Did the ferry.

9/11 memorial tour was good but the exhibits in there are large so I'd allow a while if you go there. There's a lot to see in there.

That tour bus showed us a lot of places we didn't know about that we'd like to see if/when we go again,but we only had 5 days there.

There's an existing thread on this somewhere if you have a look. It has loads of recommendations.

Paul is correct.

Thinking of getting engaged-- please check out date thread or world of a woman thread. If still not convinced this is a bad idea, call me at 0800-WED TO A LOON.

Thinking of getting shot-- see thread on Ferguson, Mo.

• Upvote 2

Here are some things!

Food:

Manhattan

Ippudo

The Smile

Doughnut Plant

Katz Deli

Laborotorio il Gelato

Barrio Chino (BEST Mexican)

Artichoke Pizza

Brooklyn:

Traif

Fette Sau (bbq)

Diner

Marlow and Sons

Paulie G's (pizza!!!)

La Superior

Walter Foods

Bars

Dancing:

Manhattan

Home Sweet Home

Lit Lounge

Brooklyn

Bembe (Williamsburg)

Enid's (Greenpoint)

Tandem (Bushwick)

The Woods

Union Pool

Bars:

Manhattan

The Randolph

Beauty Bar

Pianos

169 Bar

Brooklyn

Pearl's Billy and Social Club

Hotel Delmano

Night of Joy

Maison Premier

Spritzenhaus

Things to do:

If you have time, Dia Beacon is a train ride from Grand Central, is right on the Hudson River and an amazing contemporary gallery in an old box factory. Very worth it.

The Cloisters is amazing- up in Washington Heights

Coney Island

The High Line

PS1

Brooklyn Flea/ Smorgasburg

I've just waisted half hour of my life doing this!

Still a shit hole which stole a while of my life!

Just got back Friday- we went to a Brooklyn Nets game as the Knicks were over here while we wee there. Tickets are cheaper and they're a better team this season if that makes a difference to you.

My Mrs is pregnant so we did a Big Bus Tour which picks up from outside M & Ms world in Times Square. It's hop on, hop off (we didn't get off a lot as she got tired easy), but that's a pretty good way of getting about we found. You can do a package which includes uptown,downtown,Brookyn and nighttime tours for your money.

Did the ferry.

9/11 memorial tour was good but the exhibits in there are large so I'd allow a while if you go there. There's a lot to see in there.

That tour bus showed us a lot of places we didn't know about that we'd like to see if/when we go again,but we only had 5 days there.

I'd recommend the bus tours too. Great introduction to the city.

• Upvote 1

Intrepid is the aircraft carrier with a submarine and the space shuttle attached.

It is a good event. Some other decent stuff around there too.

Bit of a tip the space shuttle is a let down. It has all the appeal of a Skoda. You look at it and think whoever went into space in that was either ballsy or dumb.

The highline park is worth a wander.

You cheeky bastard