You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Players you knew were shite but were heralded as the next big thing

Bob

I think the thing that held David Bentley back most was the fact that he was a tosser of epic proportions, yet seemingly celebrated as a character.

The fact he's fucking proud of the fact he took the piss out of a man who has won league titles in Italy as a player and manager, won La Liga and the Champions League sums him up quite well.

Lazy, ill disciplined and somehow a multi millionaire. Football, making knobheads multi millionaires for doing fuck all. 

• Upvote 5

Anyone remember Sonny Pike?

I seem to recall him being on loads of current affairs shows back in the mid 90s and hailed as a child prodigy.

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought of him. Not that I thought he'd be shit but just I remember the hype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Pike

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/feb/15/theknowledge.sport

Emile Heskey, he was heralded at Leicester and 10m was a big transfer in 2000, never totally convinced even in the 00/01 season and thought what did happen after was inevitable, no finesse, poor mans Lukaku which is a bad thing to say

FA Cup Winner,a couple of League Cups,a UEFA Cup and a European Super Cup are not a bad return for a shit player.

As soon as I saw the thread title I thought of him. Not that I thought he'd be shit but just I remember the hype.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Pike

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/feb/15/theknowledge.sport

Fair play to him, it sounds like he could have continued but made the decision to quit himself.

You do wonder how many of the really young starlets will ever make the grade though, and what they'll end up doing once pushy relatives who act as their agents have gone through their initial earnings.

FA Cup Winner,a couple of League Cups,a UEFA Cup and a European Super Cup are not a bad return for a shit player.

yeah but you could say that about loads of players, Nicky Butt won loads, I don't want to to say Emile is shit because he'll then probably score a Patrick on Saturday but I don't think he was as good as the hype when he wad at Leicester

Bentley ended up toss, but I agree he was good at Blackburn and I would have preferred him to Pennant at the time.

The correct answer is Tom Cleverley. Nothing player, and when he plays a high pass or a cross he kicks the ball strangely. "Strange gait" as a bitter old cunt once said.

Carrick's a good shout. In fact there was a team of West Ham youngsters that was overrated. Joe fucking Cole for example, touted as some kind of heir to Paul Gascoigne and was basically a poor man's David Thompson. Carrick is shite, there was that Adam Newton lad too, fuck knows what happened to him.