You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

chelsea league cup semi final first leg thread

Paco

A very good draw, and I fancy our chances in the second leg with Chelsea having to come on to us.

We look much tighter at the back.

The game itself was a belter, and credit to Atkinson for letting the game flow. Of course there were some decisions which should have gone our way but I thought the spirit of the game was excellent.

The 4-1 defeat at Anfield came after a 0-0 draw in the group stages of the Champions League, and was then followed by another 0-0 draw I believe. Them scores may be wrong but they were deffo draws. There was also the time we lost to them in the FA Cup final then a few days later beat them like 4-1 at Anfield if that makes you feel better though

Yeah. It was the first two matches between the teams since the famous semi final. The 4-1 loss was a bit flattering for Chelsea. Although they were the better team they didn’t dominate us like the scoreline suggests.  Didn’t feel like we’d been “tonked”.

So away goals count in the league cup?

Soemhow I didn't think they did, and 0-0 would mean extra time and if still  draw pens.

They count at the end of extra time. So if it's 0-0 at the end of ET at Stamford Bridge, there are no penalties. Chelsea win on away goals. 1-1 will see penalties. Any other scoreline and someone walks away the winner.

Thanks mate

Let's see if I get this right. A draw, 0-0, 1-1 or 2-2 after 90 mins and match goes to extra time. 

No matter what the score was at 90 mins, a 2-2 draw after 120 mins would send scousers to Wembley. Only possibility for pens are 1-1 after extra time (0-0 or 1-1 after 90)

A very good draw, and I fancy our chances in the second leg with Chelsea having to come on to us.

We look much tighter at the back.

The game itself was a belter, and credit to Atkinson for letting the game flow. Of course there were some decisions which should have gone our way but I thought the spirit of the game was excellent.

You were saying yesterday we would snot the weakened team Mourinho was about to put out !  Atkinson was appalling imo. Gave us squat in any dangerous areas. Booked Lucas for nothing and missed a blatant handball by Courtois among many others.

Well having had a kip and took that performance in I am still extremely encouraged with what was served up each and every one of our players.

First things first though, Martin Atkinson, you are a cunt. A shit one at that, You’re shit at being a ref and shit at being a cunt too. You fucking jeb end.

Haven’t seen Mourinho’s post match comments or what have you and to be honest I will take what he says with a pinch of salt until after next week. If he is as nice as I have been told after we beat them next week then maybe I will take notice of what that prick says. But until then, you are a classless fucking jeb end Maureen.

I have been mightily impressed by Chelsea this season, they have a team of cunts who are man mountains. Ivanovic, Matic, Costa, Hazard, Terry, Luis and Mikel (he’s so shit he makes Lee Cattermole look like Gerrard)And in the warm up last night they all looked ten times bigger than our midfield and attacking 3. However as soon as the game kicked off, they started to look the smaller than first appeared and in the end they look like boys and our lads were the men.

Henderson and Lucas were immense. There was a moment where Lucas had taken the ball off Hazard (I think) just outside of our box, flick it up to control it, chested it and then played a boss forward pass to Gerrard (I think) to set us off on an attack. It was sublime. And he was sublime last night. His yellow card was just Atkinson being a cunt and wasn’t really a foul in my opinion.

Henderson was the engine in that midfield last night and stood up to the plate when he took the armband of Gerrard. Well in fella.

In regards to Gerrard I think that performance from him last night shows why it is the right thing for him to leave in the summer. Not because I think he played shite or anything but you could see he was physically fucked by the time he had come off. He had been ace all game and was very unlucky not have been on the score sheet with that fantastic save from Courtois for the Gerrard special and then the post.

Another thing I will say is, since he announced his decision to graze pastures new, he has looked like he is enjoying his football. And he looks like he knows he has made the right decision and that can only bode well for us all till the end of the season, and hopefully we can give him 3 trophies to lift up as the perfect send off. Also if Brendan brings him off after 70 minutes every game he plays then he will be getting that standing ovation he deserves as part of his long goodbye. And I would love to be able to see him get that every game.

Lazar Markovic, take a bow lad. You have come a long way baby since you first put on that shirt. And you are now showing your potential and that you are not a coward; still a way to go but you are doing it right. Long it may it continue.

Sterling’s goal was Barnesesque, my mate said it was like that one against QPR in ’87. I told him to fuck off as it wasn’t that good. But it was a great goal and the rest had done him the world of good. Now hopefully we can slap his agent into place and get him a long term deal sorted.

Mingolet looked a lot more confident than he has done, still needs to learn how to kick though. It is like his feet are made of slices of ham.  He didn’t have much to do but what he did do, he did well.

Sakho, is just a beast. Skrtel’s decision making is a lot better than it has been and he looks more reassured with Sakho and Can beside him.

Emre Can is proving to be a quality player. He looked a little shaky at times in the first half and I enjoyed his battle in the first half with Costa, which went in Can’s favour as Costa moved away from him in the second half. He gave as good as he got with Virgil Sollozzo and I loved how he wouldn’t back down to him. And that run in the first half to try and make up for the penalty was ace.

This set up suits little Phil. He is ace to watch and was at the centre of everything we were trying to do. I love him and he is what I always wanted Luis Garcia to be.

Moreno had a solid game, did my head when he was trying to cross for Sterling when he had Cahill, Terry and Ivanovic to deal with, but that is just being picky.

I do feel a little robbed that we didn’t end up with a lead of 2 goals though, and that is down to a combination of poor finishing, bad luck with the post and great saves by Courtois. That one from Lallana’s brilliant attempt was sublime.

So overall a 10/10 performance for me; one that has given me a lot of confidence to take. However a rating of 7/10 for feeling that we should be discussing a win rather than a draw.

Bring on next week.

• Upvote 2

As I said after the game last night that was the most impressed I have been with the formation, it gives us lots of options to attack and Chelsea couldn't deal with us.

Mourinhos comments after the game was interesting as he said a few times they had a lot of space to counter with our three at the back as we were leaving space.

If he did see this as a weakness why would he be making that clear in several different interviews, I don't think he enjoyed coming up against that formation and is using mind games to try make Rodgers change it for the second leg.

Haven’t seen Mourinho’s post match comments or what have you and to be honest I will take what he says with a pinch of salt until after next week. 

Maureen basically said 1-1 was a fair result. He admitted Liverpool had more chances, but Chelsea had more opportunities that were close to being chances had they been better passers, so a fair draw. I dunno if I hate him anymore, he’s so consistently cuntish he makes me laugh. Kind of a parody of himself.

Wonder if he’ll bring along his double decker from last year and park it at his own playground for a 120 min stalemate next week. He’s weird, but not that weird is he?

Ha! Just been reading hendo squared up to the slimey 'diego' costa in the tunnel after the game. The smary, swarthy twat probably sees himself as some frank zapata or whoever but did not bargain on the boy from sunderland!

Hope hendo sees him off in the return leg the dirty twat.

Didn't realize Costa was so fast. Remember getting a run on at one point and being pretty surprised. I'd loathe him but he's my fantasy team captain (just checked and he got my team 32 points in the last round.) so have to have a little respect.

The chelsea cunt.

He does seem a little quiet (with his strops, whining, etc.) compared to what he was like in spain though, maybe it's because it's his first season and he's getting settled in. He'll probably just get gradually more and more annoying as time passes.