You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Local News Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

16 years been shot on a road near mine. 

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/vauxhall-shooting-murder-investigation-launched-10448454

Didn't hear anything but apparently it's been consecutive nights (Sat/Sun). 

Police have taped off the road and there's been a high presence over the weekend. 

Told one of the lads today that I've got it covered: 

Turn-Your-Hand-Into-a-Rubber-Band-Gun-St

• 3 weeks later...

The Forth Road Bridge has been closed until the New Year

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-35017314

and they've been hastily setting up alternative arrangements for getting people in and out of town, so hasty that when I went to get the bus into town this afternoon and I asked for the bus station the bus driver asked me if I knew the way. I thought he was being funny. It turned out he'd arrived from Yorkshire this morning as a relief driver for the extra buses they're putting on and been handed a sheet with directions on and told to drive to the bus station. I ended up reading the directions out to him and pointing out the bus stops en route. He'd never even been to Edinburgh before.

If I'd been quicker thinking I'd have got him to take a bit of a detour and drop me off at the garage where the car was geing repaired

and they've been hastily setting up alternative arrangements for getting people in and out of town, so hasty that when I went to get the bus into town this afternoon and I asked for the bus station the bus driver asked me if I knew the way. I thought he was being funny. It turned out he'd arrived from Yorkshire this morning as a relief driver for the extra buses they're putting on and been handed a sheet with directions on and told to drive to the bus station. I ended up reading the directions out to him and pointing out the bus stops en route. He'd never even been to Edinburgh before.

If I'd been quicker thinking I'd have got him to take a bit of a detour and drop me off at the garage where the car was geing repaired

what are the chances of that?  

A bloke asking a woman for directions I mean.

Anything that keeps the Fifers out is fine by me, I've heard from bridge ITKs that it's going to be closed until the end of January at the very least & that it won't be able take HGVs ever again.

Well it's local to Florida! When burglaries go wrong.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/08/florida-police-chase-burglary-suspect-eaten-by-alligator?CMP=twt_gu

A 22-year-old man suspected of burglarizing homes in Florida was killed and partially eaten by an 11ft (3.4-meter) alligator after he waded into a lake, apparently to avoid detection by law enforcement officers pursuing him, police said on Tuesday.

An autopsy on the man, Matthew Riggins of Palm Bay, determined that he drowned in November after an apparent alligator attack. A necropsy on the alligator revealed parts of the man’s body in the reptile’s stomach, according to a report released this week by the Brevard County sheriff’s office.

Sheriff’s deputies chased Riggins and another suspect with dogs and a helicopter on 13 November, after residents in the Barefoot Bay community reported two men walking behind houses, authorities said.

No suspects were caught that night. Riggins was reported missing by his family when he did not return home, according to the sheriff’s report. His body was found 10 days later floating in a lake, with an aggressive gator standing guard, sheriff’s major Tod Goodyear said.

“I believe he was hiding,” Goodyear said of how Riggins ended up in the lake. “With the dogs out there, it’s not a bad idea to go into the water.”

Goodyear said Riggins had told his girlfriend by telephone that he would be burglarizing homes the evening of 13 November and later told her he was being chased by deputies.

• Upvote 1

Why don't they just use the other 3?