You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Local News Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Joe believes you are all a bunch of dirty meffs. Not me, like, but the rest of you.

To be fair, looking around the city these days he's probably got a point. There are some right filthy little rats living here.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/joe-anderson-says-too-many-15029788.amp

Mayor Joe Anderson believes Liverpool has become one of the worst places in the country for residents not caring about the state of their environment.

Mayor Anderson said people in the city have 'become complacent' and said he fears that many across Liverpool 'don't care anymore.'

The city leader was speaking after visiting residents living in the County area of the city - where there have been numerous reports of rat infestations and other environmental issues.

And Mayor Anderson said that while work is taking place to deal with structural issues that allow vermin to prosper - he said the most influential aspect is a lack of pride by some residents.

In a powerful statement today, Mayor Anderson said: "I went to the County area yesterday to talk to residents about the issues.

"We are giving wheelie bins to those who want them, which they can put their rubbish bags in if they take them out before collection.

"I have lived in a terrace house all my life and we have always taken responsibility for our area.

"We need a culture of pride - I think our city has become complacent."

In a bold comment on the attitudes of people in the city, Mayor Anderson said that after visiting other core cities in the country, he thinks the lack of pride on display in Liverpool is the worst.

He said: "I would say that arguably our city is the worst for people not caring about their environment.

"I travel to other core cities and while their litter problems are bad - I don't think they are as bad.

"I think we have a don't care attitude in this city - if some people have rubbish, they just throw it."

Citing an example, he added: "We have a really hard-working street cleaner in Kensington and I drive past him on my way to work.

"Every morning he is out cleaning the streets and by the time I drive home at the end of the day the whole place is strewn with litter again, people don't care anymore.

"There's a lack of pride - we are seeing people dump fridges, sofas and wardrobes in the alleys - we would actually pick them up for free if people actually asked us."

Mayor Anderson has always been a ferocious critic of the Conservative government's austerity agenda - but he said the current state of the city cannot be blamed on spending cuts.

He added: "This isn't to do with austerity, we can't blame a lack of staff because our street cleaning teams are as good as any - this comes down to a lack of civic pride.

"The council can do lots of things, we can make sure the houses with alleys get weekly collections and we can provide more bins but if people are throwing food over their walls then we are fighting a losing battle, because the rats will just keep coming back.

And in a rallying cry to all residents, he urged people to take responsibility for the areas they live and to keep them clean and dispose of waste responsibly, adding: "This has to be a joint effort - we cannot do it alone."

Mayor Anderson has already committed to investing £1.5 million to addressing the problem with rats in back alleys in County, Kensington and Anfield over the next year.

But he said the money simply won't make any difference unless people change their behaviour.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.yorkshirecoastradio.com/news/local-news/2674216/seagull-killed-by-vehicle-in-filey/#.W4xA8mqutM0.facebook

A seagull has died after being ran over by a vehicle in Filey.

It happened on Cargate Hill at approximately 2pm today (2nd September).

The incident was witnessed by children who were distressed by it.

If you can help by providing details of the vehicle, contact 101 quoting ref 333 of 2/9/18. 

• Upvote 1

'We're leaving because you're a city full of cunts' would surely have sufficed. Nice bit of piss-taking with that last line, though.

We’re sad to be announcing today that we are suspending our bikesharing service in Manchester.

We launched in Manchester in July 2017, with Mancunians taking some 250,000 trips, cycling over 180,000 miles. However, during the summer Mobike suffered increased bike losses dues to theft and vandalism in the city.

We are very grateful to the City of Manchester to have been the first city in Europe to welcome Mobike. However, after careful evaluation, we have decided to remove our bikes and refund our users. As a private company, we have a duty to ensure our revenues cover our costs since unlike some operators we do not use taxpayer money to help balance our books. Unfortunately the circumstances in Manchester have not made this possible.

We want to thank the people of Manchester, Transport for Greater Manchester, Greater Manchester Police and the City Council for all their support. We have all learnt valuable lessons that will help cities continue to make urban life more sustainable, more active and more healthy through cycling.

We are already processing refunds to our users in Manchester, and advising people to check their bank statements. The refunds may take a day or two to arrive.

Goodbyes are never easy, but we hope to see you again in London, Newcastle, Oxford and Cambridge, as well as across Europe in cities including Paris, Berlin, Madrid and Milan.

Users can contact Mobike via support.uk@mobike.com

As you say mate, every city has its cunts.

I grew up in a rough part of the city, high unemployment and the place has got worse over my 40 odd years. I was lucky in that I got boxed off to private school at the age of 11, though a good few of my primary school mates have done well for themselves after going the local Comp.

But the Manchester bomb a couple of years back killed a young kid off the estate, there were a few who were happy to display their true feelings around this time. Tends to be those who are easily spoons fed bollocks by the media and generally nasty pricks.

I grew up in a rough part of the city, high unemployment and the place has got worse over my 40 odd years. I was lucky in that I got boxed off to private school at the age of 11, though a good few of my primary school mates have done well for themselves after going the local Comp.

But the Manchester bomb a couple of years back killed a young kid off the estate, there were a few who were happy to display their true feelings around this time. Tends to be those who are easily spoons fed bollocks by the media and generally nasty pricks.

When I was growing up on the estate we lived on life choices were joyriding or heroin for most of the lads.

It’s improved massively but there’s still a large racist element.

That is horrible brainless shit but why do we have a monument to this?

Were they killed because of who they are? Or was it sometimes just normal old age stuff etc.

Do we have a memorial to suicides by young men? Cyclists? Pedestrians, Addicts?

I don’t get this one.

Not specifically for cyclists or pedestrians but there is a memorial in St John's Gardens to victims of RTAs. 

roadpeac2.jpg

Road traffic accident victims honoured in Liverpool St John's Gardens memorial service

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/road-traffic-accident-victims-honoured-3360667

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...