You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Local News Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

4 minutes ago, skend04 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/sep/20/man-arrested-after-four-found-dead-in-house-near-sheffield

It's national as well as local I guess but the murder of the 3 children in Killamarsh has just completely shocked me today. Then to see their grandparents being interviewed was a complete kicker. I'll just never know what can go through a person's mind to do this. One of the kids was there on a sleepover too. How many families have been torn apart by this one act?!

Just shocking and senseless.

Just watched this on the news. One of the sets of grandparents were interviewed whilst placing down flowers. They were understandably distraught and it was pretty horiffic to watch. 

18 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Just watched this on the news. One of the sets of grandparents were interviewed whilst placing down flowers. They were understandably distraught and it was pretty horiffic to watch. 

It was devastating, a really hard thing to see. The poor father as well.

How the hell can someone cope with that?, I know I couldn't.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

It was devastating, a really hard thing to see. The poor father as well.

How the hell can someone cope with that?, I know I couldn't.

Terrible news this. Sounds like the ex wife's partner has gone berzerk and killed everyone including one of the daughter's friends on a stay over.

Broke my heart seeing that dad sat on the street with some flowers, fuck knows what was going through his mind.

There's some wicked bastards about who deserve slow vivisection with a blunt, rusty blade as punishment and even that would be too quick for them.

• Upvote 2

Just had a mini tiff with the missus (vegan). Scouse social media is in uproar because they've needlessly killed a gorgeous white stag that was on the loose in Bootle this morning. Missus starts preaching that I bet everyone whose moaning eat venison and they don't complain about abbatoirs so why the outrage now? Told her shes being a preachy nobhead. 

I'm cooking my own tea tonight. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/white-stag-dies-after-running-21688052

36 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Just had a mini tiff with the missus (vegan). Scouse social media is in uproar because they've needlessly killed a gorgeous white stag that was on the loose in Bootle this morning. Missus starts preaching that I bet everyone whose moaning eat venison and they don't complain about abbatoirs so why the outrage now? Told her shes being a preachy nobhead. 

I'm cooking my own tea tonight. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/white-stag-dies-after-running-21688052

Nice bit of liver and bacon.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kepler-186 said:

While The Echo provides lots of “local news” efforts this article from the online start up The Post tells the story of the changes to local journalism since the 70s.

@Section_31 you’ll appreciate this mate. 

https://www.livpost.co.uk/p/the-case-for-a-new-local-newspaper

Good stuff thanks for posting, yeah it's got a good rep the post from its Manchester version I think.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/dec/10/yorkshire-villages-half-lit-christmas-tree-labelled-worst-in-the-north

Mr Robinson sounds like a right drama queen, desperate for his 5 minutes of fame. Maybe if he'd offered to decorate the tree himself he wouldn't sound like such a cunt.

Yorkshire village’s half-lit Christmas tree labelled ‘worst in the north’
Council says Bailiff Bridge tree has grown too tall, meaning it is unsafe to decorate higher sections
‘When I saw the tree, my heart went into my stomach, the Christmas spirit left my body,’ said a local councillor. 

The Christmas tree in Bailiff Bridge is shining a metaphorical light on the West Yorkshire village, having been described as “the worst in the north” after it was decorated only a third of the way up.

Council bosses say the issue with sprucing up the spruce is that the natural tree has grown too tall, meaning it is unsafe to decorate the higher sections “as they can’t be reached by any maintenance vehicles”, according to Calderdale council’s cabinet member for public services and communities, Jenny Lynn.

“It’s Elf and Safety gone mad,” said the local Conservative councillor George Robinson. “It is clear that it is the worst Christmas tree in the north. When I saw the tree, my heart went into my stomach, the Christmas spirit left my body – I was just left with a Scrooge-like feeling. The lights go a third of the way up the tree, there are two stray baubles on there, clearly a token gesture: in some ways, you wonder why the council bothered.”

Amid a pandemic, local people had hoped the tree would bring some festive cheer to the village, but instead it has left them feeling as gloomy as the upper branches when walking past Memorial Park where it is situated.

“A Christmas tree is not just a tree,” said Robinson, “it is what it represents, it embodies ambition, excitement, being with family and friends, it is much more than a tree – I think that is the point. Especially after Covid, people want to look at a tree and be excited.

“Some people have said we would be better taking our own Christmas tree and plonking it in the park. It would certainly bring more joy to residents than that shambles, which is up there.”

There is some positive news for locals, as Calderdale council has promised a superior offering in 2022, allowing the people of Bailiff Bridge to select an alternative tree to decorate in the village.

“It is a success story, it is the power of media,” said Robinson. “I think it is important that Calderdale council put this bah humbug attitude behind them so we can move forward, so next year Bailiff Bridge gets the best Christmas tree, the Christmas tree it deserves.”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.firstpost.com/living/man-arrested-pretending-ghost-cemetery-1655997.html

Ghoulish behaviour.

'Anthony Stallard, 24, had been kicking a football around in a Kingston Cemetery in Portsmouth with a friend, while also making 'ghostly' noises close to be people visiting the graves of their loved ones.

Police arrested and charged the 24-year-old with using threatening or abusive words or behaviour likely to cause distress, Portsmouth News reported.

Prosecuting at Portsmouth Magistrates' Court, Tim Concannon said, "While the football was going on, they were shouting and this defendant was effectively singing loudly and being disrespectful in among the graves." "He was throwing himself backwards, waving his arms about and going 'wooooooo'. I'm assuming he was pretending to be a ghost," he said.

Stallard accepted at a previous hearing that his behaviour could cause distress to grieving relatives and had pleaded guilty.

Defense lawyer Denise Saunders said, "He has accepted that his behaviour, if it had been outside of a cemetery would not have been inappropriate, but inside a cemetery, while people are grieving for their loved ones, it might be."

"He is apologetic as demonstrated by his early guilty plea," she said.'

32 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

https://www.firstpost.com/living/man-arrested-pretending-ghost-cemetery-1655997.html

Ghoulish behaviour.

'Anthony Stallard, 24, had been kicking a football around in a Kingston Cemetery in Portsmouth with a friend, while also making 'ghostly' noises close to be people visiting the graves of their loved ones.

Police arrested and charged the 24-year-old with using threatening or abusive words or behaviour likely to cause distress, Portsmouth News reported.

Prosecuting at Portsmouth Magistrates' Court, Tim Concannon said, "While the football was going on, they were shouting and this defendant was effectively singing loudly and being disrespectful in among the graves." "He was throwing himself backwards, waving his arms about and going 'wooooooo'. I'm assuming he was pretending to be a ghost," he said.

Stallard accepted at a previous hearing that his behaviour could cause distress to grieving relatives and had pleaded guilty.

Defense lawyer Denise Saunders said, "He has accepted that his behaviour, if it had been outside of a cemetery would not have been inappropriate, but inside a cemetery, while people are grieving for their loved ones, it might be."

"He is apologetic as demonstrated by his early guilty plea," she said.'

A spirited defence. I wonder if he scored a ghoul?

• 4 weeks later...