You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Local News Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Anubis said:

Turned out it was an accident by Allsop at the flyover slip road. A car has smashed part of the school wall and railings and ended up on its side in the road with the front smashed in. Police everywhere so maybe it was someone they were after.

Two police cars crash and woman arrested after man stabbed

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/two-police-cars-crash-woman-18962295#ICID=Android_EchoNewsApp_AppShare

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/memorial-plaques-to-dictators-kim-jong-il-and-colonel-gaddafi-mysteriously-appear-in-dulwich-park/

Memorial plaques to dictators Kim Jong-il and Colonel Gaddafi mysteriously appear in East Dulwich

Plaques dedicated in memory of dictators such as Kim Jong-il and Colonel Gaddafi have mysteriously appeared on benches in a Dulwich park.

The plaques on benches in Goose Green are dedicated to the North Korean dictator Kim Jong-il; Colonel Gaddafi of Libya; Romania’s Nicolae Ceascecu; and the Russian revolutionary Peter Kropotkin.

Each of them has a bizarre tag-line. Kim Jong-il’s plaque reads: “Kim Yong-il, 1942-2011. Always preferred George Lazenby.”

A plaque for Colonel Gadaffi, who was killed after his capture by a militia in 2011, has the barmy caption: “have i told you lately that i love you?”

Another is for the communist leader Nicolae Ceausescu, who was executed by firing squad on Christmas Day, 1989. His memorial plaque states: “1918-1989. Do ya think I’m sexy?”

20200919_125817-420x560.jpg

A fourth, and final, plaque dedicates itself to Russian anarchist Peter Kropotkin, which has a tagline from an advert for the cleaning product, Cillit Bang. It reads: “Bang! And the dirt is gone!” 

Baffled park-goers in Goose Green did not appear to know much about the plaques when asked by a News reporter this afternoon.

One woman, who had been sitting on a bench dedicated to Kropotkin, was unaware of the anarchist, and had thought he was a deceased local whose family members had donated a plaque.

Another person had stopped to take a photo of a plaque dedicated to Ceascecu, because of its bizarre tagline, but did not know who he was.

Asked why he thought the plaque was there, he said: “I don’t know, it is one of those modern art things, like a Banksy?”

Mystery surrounds the plaques – but this is not the first time plaques dedicated to despots have been spotted in a London park.

In 2018, a plaque dedicated “in loving memory” of Saddam Hussein was spotted in Wanstead, east London.

Nobody ever came forward to claim responsibility for the plaque, which had sparked a backlash among some for insensitivity. 

Redbridge Council later removed it. Southwark Council has been contacted by the News for information about the plaques and whether they will be removed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Echo's "reviews' must surely be bought and paid for. Never seen a bad one for anywhere, basically just the journo getting some free food. 

"Is this the best breakfast in the city? You bet your cotton socks!"

No it's not, I went last week, it was shite.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The Echo's "reviews' must surely be bought and paid for. Never seen a bad one for anywhere, basically just the journo getting some free food. 

"Is this the best breakfast in the city? You bet your cotton socks!"

No it's not, I went last week, it was shite.

Remember when Bob Dylan was playing at the echo arena years ago. It was so bad, people were leaving in their droves. We ended up in the Pump House after 20 minutes and we even missed the start.

Anyway, the echo gave it the review of all positive reviews. It was almost like they were at a different concert. Well they must have been because he didn't sing some of the songs they mentioned in their review. After a few people reminded them of this, they had to admit, the reviewer wasn't even at the gig.

Still to this day the worst £50 I've ever spent. 

3 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Remember when Bob Dylan was playing at the echo arena years ago. It was so bad, people were leaving in their droves. We ended up in the Pump House after 20 minutes and we even missed the start.

Anyway, the echo gave it the review of all positive reviews. It was almost like they were at a different concert. Well they must have been because he didn't sing some of the songs they mentioned in their review. After a few people reminded them of this, they had to admit, the reviewer wasn't even at the gig.

Still to this day the worst £50 I've ever spent. 

Ha!

Allegedly Jimmy McGovern fell out with them because he'd written a play and the daily post arts editor had gone to review it, McGovern supposedly clocked him asleep in the audience but he still wrote an unflattering review.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Ha!

Allegedly Jimmy McGovern fell out with them because he'd written a play and the daily post arts editor had gone to review it, McGovern supposedly clocked him asleep in the audience but he still wrote an unflattering review.

‘I’m fuming, my play was that good the reviewer fell asleep, it was

grossly unfair for him to then say it wasn’t that good, it’s inconsequential that it rendered him unconscious’

• 1 month later...