You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Local News Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

More big news in Edinburgh last night, a swan was trapped up a pole & was seemingly quite distressed...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-31601781

It was raining as well just to rub salt in the wounds.

I'm amazed it made it to the news when they also had to cover the RNLI being called out to rescue a Christmas tree mistakenly thought to be a body

Liverpool trial collapses after Muslim witness swears oath on the Bible instead of the Koran

An attempted robbery trial in Liverpool collapsed when a Muslim swore an oath on the Bible instead of the Koran.

Michael Davies, 38, denies trying to rob Victoria Kebab House in Birkenhead while armed with a hammer last summer.

But while giving evidence at Liverpool Crown Court, it emerged the takeaway’s manager Kevin Kurt had sworn an oath on the wrong holy book.

The packed courtroom was cleared and the witness left the stand, before the judge said the trial could not proceed.

Recorder Patrick Thompson told the jury: “You will notice the witness isn’t in court. The difficulty that arose and I will be very straight about this, is you have heard evidence from the witness on oath, just like you all swore an oath.

“Unfortunately it was sworn on the Bible and he just informed us he is a Muslim, which means I can’t accept his evidence and neither can you, because it was sworn on the wrong holy book. We have to start the case again.”

Mr Recorder Thompson said if the trial restarted, it would not be expected to finish this week.

Discharging the jury, the judge added: “It is probably best a fresh jury who doesn’t think we’re all totally incompetent hears this case.

“It is regrettable. It could have been worse. If he had concluded his evidence, we might never have found out.”

Mr Kurt, who gave his evidence from behind a screen, was not given the option of which holy book he wanted to swear an oath on, and the judge commented that it was not his fault.

During the trial, which opened this afternoon, the jury watched CCTV showing Davies enter the takeaway in Bebington Road at around 11.30pm on August 20 last year.

Derek Jones, prosecuting, said Davies was wearing a dressing gown, but claimed he was an Environmental Health officer.

He said Mr Kurt rang the police but Davies broke into the counter area near the till.

Mr Jones said Davies pulled a hammer out from underneath his dressing gown before Mr Kurt and another worker chased him out of the shop with a pizza shovel and a knife.

Davies argued he went to the takeaway because he had sold stolen items to Mr Kurt in the past and he owed him money for a computer.

He said they chased him with weapons and he picked up a hammer on the counter to defend himself.

Mr Kurt told the jury Davies said he was an Environmental Health worker and threatened to close the takeaway due to hygiene concerns.

He said he refused to let him behind the counter without seeing his ID and rang police, before Davies tried to hit him with the hammer.

John Weate, defending, suggested Mr Kurt knew Davies well, because he had bought stolen goods off him.

Mr Kurt replied: “No, I’ve got a child, I’m a family man. Also because of my religion, I wouldn’t be able to use these kind of things.

“If I know something is stolen that is against my religion.”

Mr Weate said: “Are you a Christian?”

He replied: “No, I’m a Muslim.”

Religious oaths require Christian witnesses and defendants to hold the Bible and state: “I swear by almighty God that I shall tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.”

Followers of other faiths are given copies of their sacred texts, with Muslims swearing on the Koran and Jews on the Old Testament, for example.

Atheists are allowed to “solemnly, sincerely and truly affirm” instead of swearing.

The case has been listed for mention tomorrow.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-trial-collapses-after-muslim-8730891

Dad bars son from fighting Islamic State extremists in Iraq

Kyle Sessions from Nailsworth

Today at 10:53 AM 3comments

By The Citizen

A young Nailsworth man who told a national newspaper he wants to fight against Islamic State in Iraq, will not be going anywhere near the war torn region his dad has said.

Former Co-op store assistant Kyle Sessions, 22, was prepared to swap his life near Stroud for the battle against Islamic extremists, he told the Daily Star.

However his dad Neil said he will not be heading to the war-torn region, where he had wanted to help Kurdish fighters with medical aid.

Police said they will contact Kyle and give him 'appropriate advice' in the interests of his welfare.

“He put something on social media about wanting to help with medical aid and he was not planning to fight,” said Mr Sessions.

“He will not be going.”

He said his son had gone in to hiding because of the media attention around him and his Facebook page was also deleted today.

Kyle, who is engaged to girlfriend Racheal Dunn after proposing to her at their Tae Kwon Do club in Nailsworth in 2013 was quoted in the Daily Star as saying: “I did go to the local Cubs and Scout groups when I was younger and have a lot of camping and survival experience which will be useful.

“I intend to go to Iraq and am currently gathering supplies, including military equipment, clothing and medical kit.

“I want to fight against IS because I am getting annoyed with the lack of support from my own government.

“At the moment, all they are doing is talking about aid, and military support, but no action is being taken, and I wish that they could send some troops, even if it was only a few hundred people.

“It’s very unlikely that IS will be defeated within a couple of months of me being there, but I feel that, by staying around six months to a year, I will be able to help.

“Hopefully within that year, there will be a significant change and ISIS will be pushed back even if it’s in a small way.

“I have several years’ experience with hand-to-hand combat, so I do have some combat experience.”

It follows a decision by Bracknell bouncer Tim Locks, 38, who sold his house to fight against Islamic State and a 19-year-old private from the Princess of Wales's regiment who went absent without leave to join the Kurdish Peshmerga in their fight against the extremist group.

It was reported that Kyle contacted a militia group Dwekh Nawsha - meaning self sacrifice - which Lock has joined.

Staff at the Old Market, Nailsworth supermarket were unable to comment but confirmed along with his dad that Kyle no longer works there.

He had also contacted another group fighting against ISIS called the Nineveh Plain Protection Units.

He said: "They patrol the countryside where attacks are becoming more and more frequent, and they have replied back giving me some contact details and I have sent them information about myself and what I feel I can bring to help assist them with their fight."

"So far I have already told a few friends and they have been very supportive, but some have been worried that I may be injured or even killed while over there, and I have assured them, that I have a family and a loving fiancee who I will fight tooth and nail for, in order to get back to them in one piece.

"When it gets nearer the time of my departure I will say my goodbyes and take all the precautions in order to come back safely.

"When people are being murdered on video and spread around the internet, that is when someone needs to stand up and fight for what is right.

"And if our government refuses to help, then it is up to people like me to take a stand and say enough is enough."

Dwekh Nawsha is a Christian militia brigade in Iraqs Ninawa province fighting ISIS.

It operates alongside Kurdish Peshmerga forces to protect Christian villages on the frontline in Nineveh province in northern Iraq.

In response to the ISIS brutality against Christians in the northern city of Mosul, by means of forced conversions and death, groups claiming to represent Christians have responded by forming armed self-protection brigades.

The group's role is currently more defensive, and though support is provided to the Kurdish Peshmerga, limited capabilities do not make the brigade a significant factor in the conflict.

A Gloucestershire Constabulary spokesman said: "We would advise people not to travel to the region due to the high risk involved, and would encourage members of the public to report concerns of this nature to their local police or the Anti-terrorist Hotline on 0800 789321 so that appropriate advice and support can be offered.

"We will be contacting this person to give him appropriate advice in the interests of his own welfare."

• Upvote 1

Liverpool trial collapses after Muslim witness swears oath on the Bible instead of the Koran

An attempted robbery trial in Liverpool collapsed when a Muslim swore an oath on the Bible instead of the Koran.

Michael Davies, 38, denies trying to rob Victoria Kebab House in Birkenhead while armed with a hammer last summer.

But while giving evidence at Liverpool Crown Court, it emerged the takeaway’s manager Kevin Kurt had sworn an oath on the wrong holy book.

The packed courtroom was cleared and the witness left the stand, before the judge said the trial could not proceed.

Recorder Patrick Thompson told the jury: “You will notice the witness isn’t in court. The difficulty that arose and I will be very straight about this, is you have heard evidence from the witness on oath, just like you all swore an oath.

“Unfortunately it was sworn on the Bible and he just informed us he is a Muslim, which means I can’t accept his evidence and neither can you, because it was sworn on the wrong holy book. We have to start the case again.”

Mr Recorder Thompson said if the trial restarted, it would not be expected to finish this week.

Discharging the jury, the judge added: “It is probably best a fresh jury who doesn’t think we’re all totally incompetent hears this case.

“It is regrettable. It could have been worse. If he had concluded his evidence, we might never have found out.”

Mr Kurt, who gave his evidence from behind a screen, was not given the option of which holy book he wanted to swear an oath on, and the judge commented that it was not his fault.

During the trial, which opened this afternoon, the jury watched CCTV showing Davies enter the takeaway in Bebington Road at around 11.30pm on August 20 last year.

Derek Jones, prosecuting, said Davies was wearing a dressing gown, but claimed he was an Environmental Health officer.

He said Mr Kurt rang the police but Davies broke into the counter area near the till.

Mr Jones said Davies pulled a hammer out from underneath his dressing gown before Mr Kurt and another worker chased him out of the shop with a pizza shovel and a knife.

Davies argued he went to the takeaway because he had sold stolen items to Mr Kurt in the past and he owed him money for a computer.

He said they chased him with weapons and he picked up a hammer on the counter to defend himself.

Mr Kurt told the jury Davies said he was an Environmental Health worker and threatened to close the takeaway due to hygiene concerns.

He said he refused to let him behind the counter without seeing his ID and rang police, before Davies tried to hit him with the hammer.

John Weate, defending, suggested Mr Kurt knew Davies well, because he had bought stolen goods off him.

Mr Kurt replied: “No, I’ve got a child, I’m a family man. Also because of my religion, I wouldn’t be able to use these kind of things.

“If I know something is stolen that is against my religion.”

Mr Weate said: “Are you a Christian?”

He replied: “No, I’m a Muslim.”

Religious oaths require Christian witnesses and defendants to hold the Bible and state: “I swear by almighty God that I shall tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.”

Followers of other faiths are given copies of their sacred texts, with Muslims swearing on the Koran and Jews on the Old Testament, for example.

Atheists are allowed to “solemnly, sincerely and truly affirm” instead of swearing.

The case has been listed for mention tomorrow.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-trial-collapses-after-muslim-8730891

So if I ever get arrested for something I can swear on the bible, at some point later in the trial bring up that I am an atheist and it's all called off?

Good to know. 

Dad bars son from fighting Islamic State extremists in IraqKyle Sessions from Nailsworth Today at 10:53 AM 3commentsBy The Citizen A young Nailsworth man who told a national newspaper he wants to fight against Islamic State in Iraq, will not be going anywhere near the war torn region his dad has said. Former Co-op store assistant Kyle Sessions, 22, was prepared to swap his life near Stroud for the battle against Islamic extremists, he told the Daily Star.However his dad Neil said he will not be heading to the war-torn region, where he had wanted to help Kurdish fighters with medical aid. Police said they will contact Kyle and give him 'appropriate advice' in the interests of his welfare. “He put something on social media about wanting to help with medical aid and he was not planning to fight,” said Mr Sessions. “He will not be going.”He said his son had gone in to hiding because of the media attention around him and his Facebook page was also deleted today. Kyle, who is engaged to girlfriend Racheal Dunn after proposing to her at their Tae Kwon Do club in Nailsworth in 2013 was quoted in the Daily Star as saying: “I did go to the local Cubs and Scout groups when I was younger and have a lot of camping and survival experience which will be useful. “I intend to go to Iraq and am currently gathering supplies, including military equipment, clothing and medical kit. “I want to fight against IS because I am getting annoyed with the lack of support from my own government. “At the moment, all they are doing is talking about aid, and military support, but no action is being taken, and I wish that they could send some troops, even if it was only a few hundred people. “It’s very unlikely that IS will be defeated within a couple of months of me being there, but I feel that, by staying around six months to a year, I will be able to help. “Hopefully within that year, there will be a significant change and ISIS will be pushed back even if it’s in a small way. “I have several years’ experience with hand-to-hand combat, so I do have some combat experience.”It follows a decision by Bracknell bouncer Tim Locks, 38, who sold his house to fight against Islamic State and a 19-year-old private from the Princess of Wales's regiment who went absent without leave to join the Kurdish Peshmerga in their fight against the extremist group. It was reported that Kyle contacted a militia group Dwekh Nawsha - meaning self sacrifice - which Lock has joined. Staff at the Old Market, Nailsworth supermarket were unable to comment but confirmed along with his dad that Kyle no longer works there.He had also contacted another group fighting against ISIS called the Nineveh Plain Protection Units. He said: "They patrol the countryside where attacks are becoming more and more frequent, and they have replied back giving me some contact details and I have sent them information about myself and what I feel I can bring to help assist them with their fight." "So far I have already told a few friends and they have been very supportive, but some have been worried that I may be injured or even killed while over there, and I have assured them, that I have a family and a loving fiancee who I will fight tooth and nail for, in order to get back to them in one piece. "When it gets nearer the time of my departure I will say my goodbyes and take all the precautions in order to come back safely. "When people are being murdered on video and spread around the internet, that is when someone needs to stand up and fight for what is right."And if our government refuses to help, then it is up to people like me to take a stand and say enough is enough."Dwekh Nawsha is a Christian militia brigade in Iraqs Ninawa province fighting ISIS.It operates alongside Kurdish Peshmerga forces to protect Christian villages on the frontline in Nineveh province in northern Iraq. In response to the ISIS brutality against Christians in the northern city of Mosul, by means of forced conversions and death, groups claiming to represent Christians have responded by forming armed self-protection brigades.The group's role is currently more defensive, and though support is provided to the Kurdish Peshmerga, limited capabilities do not make the brigade a significant factor in the conflict. A Gloucestershire Constabulary spokesman said: "We would advise people not to travel to the region due to the high risk involved, and would encourage members of the public to report concerns of this nature to their local police or the Anti-terrorist Hotline on 0800 789321 so that appropriate advice and support can be offered."We will be contacting this person to give him appropriate advice in the interests of his own welfare."

brilliant that one. reads like satire, hand to hand combat expert

Exeter hot dog eater Jeremy Wayle stamped pigeon to death

Shoppers watched in horror as a man stood on the wing of a pigeon before stamping it to death.

Jeremy Wayle had been eating a hot dog in Exeter city centre when he killed the bird, which had been attracted by the crumbs, a court heard.

Wayle called the bird "vermin" and then stamped on the pigeon and killed it, Exeter magistrates were told.

Wayle, 48, from Totnes, Devon, was given a 12-month conditional discharge after he admitted killing a wild bird.

'Wholly unacceptable'

He was reported to police by distressed onlookers.

His lawyer Katherine Todd said: "This was a terrible, terrible error of judgement. He did not set out to upset anybody.

"He does not like pigeons, rather like seeing a spider on the floor, he stamped on it.

"It was wholly unacceptable and most people would not contemplate doing it."

The court heard Wayle had not worked for 30 years because of a head injury and suffered from post traumatic stress disorder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A FATHER and son have been jailed for their part in a cocaine dealing operation worth an estimated £330,000.

Shaun Phillips, 46, and his 24-year-old son Ryan were among four men involved in the illicit operation which saw up to 1.8kg of the Class A drug being distributed from business premises in Novers Park.

Also involved were Dale Bennett, 47, of Caldicot, who collected the drugs to take to South Wales. Jordan Cornick, 25, of Broad Walk, Knowle, was involved in collecting money and helping to deliver the drugs on occasions.

All admitted a charge of conspiracy to supply class A drugs at Bristol Crown Court.

Phillips senior was jailed for four years, while his son was sentenced to six years six months in prison. In court, both gave their address as Broadbury Road in Knowle West - the street where south Bristol's main police station is located.

Bennett received a five-year jail sentence while Cornick was given a two-year jail sentence suspended for two years, as well as 200 hours of unpaid work and a six-month curfew.

Investigating officer Detective Inspector Jonathan Deane said: "We've disrupted a sustained and criminal enterprise involved in dealing a large amount of cocaine over a significant amount of time.

"On Thursday December 4, about 208 grams of cocaine with a purity of 68 per cent was recovered. The street value was estimated to be £37,000.

"However there were at least nine evidenced transactions between this group of defendants so we believe the real amount of cocaine which has changed hands is closer to 1.8kg with an estimated street value of £330,000.

"I hope this sends out a clear message about how seriously we take the illegal trade in class A drugs.

"Drugs ruin lives and we'll be relentless on bringing those who are involved in this type of criminal activity to justice."

Read more at http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Father-son-jailed-roles-330-000-cocaine-dealing/story-26224768-detail/story.html#mpCkda60LcFIsCxg.99