You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool to play 2 games in Australia

ratcatcher

Liverpool set to play two matches in Australia as part of pre-season summer tour

• Liverpool played in Australia two years ago in front of 95,000 supporters at the Melbourne Cricket Ground
  • The Reds are set to return Down Under to play two pre-season matches
  • Adelaide and Brisbane are expected to be the destinations for Brendan Rodgers as they step up their preparations for the 2015/16 campaign

By Simon Jones for MailOnline

Published: 12:33, 14 January 2015 | Updated: 13:19, 14 January 2015 

Liverpool are set to play two matches in Australia as part of this summer’s lucrative pre-season tour.

The Reds will return Down Under after the huge success of their first visit two years ago when they played in front of 95,000 supporters at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

This time Adelaide and Brisbane are expected to be the destinations for Brendan Rodgers’ squad as they step up their preparations for the 2015/16 campaign.

1AF8600C000005DC-2909721-image-a-96_1421

Liverpool visited Australia two years ago and played in front of 95,000 fans at the Melbourne Cricket Ground

04B1E03C00000514-2909721-image-a-95_1421

Adelaide and Brisbane are expected to be the destinations for Brendan Rodgers’ squad on the next trip

1AF8DD55000005DC-2909721-image-a-100_142

Then-Liverpool striker Luis Suarez pictured after the match between the Reds and Melbourne Victory

1AF8D49B000005DC-2909721-image-a-101_142

Liverpool are set to play two matches in Australia as part of this summer’s lucrative pre-season tour

Details have yet to be finalised but it’s likely to be a four-game, fortnight-long tour starting in July with Liverpool stopping off in Asia both en route to Australia and on the return journey.

Indonesia and China are the leading contenders to also host friendly fixtures.

A return to Indonesia was always on the cards with their national airline Garuda one of Liverpool’s key commercial partners. A crowd of 82,000 watched the Reds beat an Indonesia XI in Jakarta in July 2013. The alternative option to Indonesia is playing in the Malaysian city of Kuala Lumpur.

The Reds last visited China in 2011 when 35,000 saw Kenny Dalglish’s side beat Guandgdong Sunray Cave 4-3 in Guangzhou. This time Liverpool are expected to visit the city of Macau – 40 miles west of Hong Kong – instead.

0CFF144E00000578-2909721-image-a-107_142

Charlie Adam, now of Stoke City, pictured playing for Liverpool in China in July 2011 during pre-season

0CFEFE2000000578-2909721-image-a-108_142

Andy Carroll (left) and Conor Coady (right) of Liverpool celebrate scoring a goal during a pre-season friendly

Sources in Australia expect the matches Down Under to be officially announced early next month once contracts have been exchanged.  Anfield officials have been in talks with various cities about staging matches but it appears that Sydney has lost out to Adelaide and Brisbane.

The game in South Australia would be played at the Adelaide Oval which is best known as a historic cricket venue. It boasts a capacity of 53,000 and has also hosted international rugby and football previously.

2490C19C00000578-2909721-image-a-48_1421

Brendan Rodgers' side are set to play two games in Australia this summer just as they did two years ago

Last summer A-League outfit Adelaide United played La Liga side Malaga there in front of 23,000 and promoters know Liverpool would represent a much bigger draw.

The Reds would be the first Premier League club to visit the state of South Australia since Sheffield United in 1994. Liverpool are set to line up against either Adelaide United or a A-League All Stars XI.

Rodgers’ men will also head for the east coast of Australia to play in Brisbane, Queensland. State government officials have been heavily involved in negotiations to secure Liverpool’s visit. 

The venue is likely to be the 52,500-capacity Suncorp Stadium which is home to Brisbane Roar FC. Celtic and Everton have both played friendly matches there in the past six years. 

2042CFD300000578-2909721-image-a-110_142

Liverpool toured America last summer - playing matches in Boston, Chicago, New York, Charlotte and Miami

093938BB00000514-2909721-image-a-109_142

Juan Mata (right) of Manchester United shoots during their pre-season friendly with Liverpool in Miami

It’s also home to rugby union side Queensland Reds and has hosted Socceroos matches in the past. Liverpool toured America last summer - playing matches in Boston, Chicago, New York, Charlotte and Miami. 

With no international tournament in 2015, the longer pre-season schedule allows the club to travel further afield and tap into the massive support they enjoy across Asia and Down Under.

It was an awesome experience being at the MCG with my dad, uncle and son.

Would be really handy being in Brisbane though as it's just a drive up the highway.

Suncorp would be much better for atmosphere, given it has the ideal dimensions for a football match. The difference in surfaces of there and the Gabba would be much of a muchness, given they'd both have been fairly roughed up by other codes in the previous weekend. 

And yeah, that MCG friendly was amazing. 

A pre-season tour to the USA might be good for attracting sponsors and bringing a bit of money in but a tour to the Far East and Asia does that too, and it does it against a backdrop of incredible support which helps the players understand just how big this club is. That is an important difference.

• Upvote 1

A tour to the US is also about attracting/cementing a new fanbase.

Agreed, footy is booming in the US and we're in pole position to exploit it.

Rather that than the Far East, there may be money there but I bet half of them still think David Beckham plays for us.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-04/liverpool-confirms-adelaide-united-brisbane-roar-fixtures/6068692

Liverpool confirms Australia tour, will play Adelaide United and Brisbane Roar

Updated 

47 minutes agoWed 4 Feb 2015, 9:42am

6030080-3x2-340x227.jpg

Premier League giant Liverpool has confirmed it will play A-League clubs Adelaide United and the Brisbane Roar in July as part of its preseason tour.

The Reds will kick off their Australian tour against the Roar at Lang Park on July 17, before facing Adelaide United in Adelaide on July 20.

It follows Liverpool's hugely successful tour Down Under in 2013, where it played against Melbourne Victory at a packed-out MCG.

"We visited Australia for the first time two years ago and the support we received from our Australian fans was incredible," Liverpool chief executive Ian Ayre said in a club statement.

"Liverpool FC have more than 600,000 supporters in Australia and we look forward to meeting as many of them as possible while we are in the country."

Liverpool's arrival will add to an already packed July of football for Australian audiences, with Manchester City playing Real Madrid and AS Roma in the friendly International Champions Cup tournament in Melbourne.

However, Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard will not be part of the trip as he leaves for MLS team LA Galaxy at the end of the season.

Brisbane Roar managing director Sean Dobson said it would be a proud moment for the club to host Liverpool.

"To be on the same field with Liverpool FC, one of the true giants of world football, reinforces Brisbane Roar’s standing as Australia’s premier football club," he said in a statement.

"It will be a special night for all our members and fans as they cheer on the Roar against such legendary opponents playing on our home ground."

South Australia's acting tourism minister Tom Koutsantonis says hosting Liverpool at Adelaide Oval is a coup for the state.

"A stadium packed with Reds fans from throughout Australia and the world will be a magnificent showcase for the Adelaide Oval and South Australia," he said in a statement.

"Such world-class sporting events are huge draw cards, and we also anticipate a global TV audience for the game, so it is the perfect platform to showcase Adelaide to the rest of the world."

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-sale on at ticketek (thieving hounds) today.

Fucking Friday night 7pm kick-off. Means I'll either have to overnight in Brisbane or travel back overnight.

Any locals with tips on where to sit? Be nice to form a TLW group, hopefully holding the FAO stevebabie banner on its Antipodean sojourn

• Upvote 1

10 million! Awesome!

Liverpool could earn £10m from summer friendlies against Brisbane Roar and Adelaide United in Australia
  • Liverpool will take on Brisbane Roar and Adelaide United this summer
  • The Anfield club return to Australia after their previous tour in 2013
  • Liverpool have been paid an appearance fee of £800,000
  • Club ambassador Robbie Fowler was in Brisbane to promote the game
  • CLICK HERE for all the latest Liverpool news 

By Simon Jones for MailOnline

Published: 13:57, 17 February 2015 | Updated: 15:23, 17 February 2015 

Liverpool could bank as much as £10million from their two friendly matches in Australia this summer.

Brendan Rodgers’ side will face Brisbane Roar at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium on July 17 before taking on Adelaide United at the Adelaide Oval three days later.

Liverpool confirmed earlier this month they would be returning following the success of their first trip to Australia in 2013 when they played Melbourne Victory in front of 95,000 fans at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

04B1E03C00000514-0-image-a-24_1424180511

+5

Liverpool played Melbourne Victory in front of 95,000 fans on their last trip to Australia in 2013

1AF86CD7000005DC-0-image-a-25_1424180645

+5

Steven Gerrard in action for Liverpool during their 2-0 win over Victory

1AF9AF73000005DC-0-image-m-32_1424181333

+5

Luis Suarez was part of the Liverpool squad that travelled to Melbourne two years ago

Tickets for both matches went on general sale on Tuesday with the entire allocation for the Adelaide United game on July 20 snapped up already. A sell-out is expected at the 52,000 capacity Suncorp Stadium too.

The South Australian Government has paid Liverpool an appearance fee of around £800,000 but Liverpool will also keep all the gate receipts from the game in Adelaide which will amount to around £3million. That figure will be swelled by merchandise sales with Liverpool expected to wear their New Balance kit.

Robbie Fowler was in Brisbane as a Liverpool ambassador promoting the game against Brisbane Roar in his role as a Liverpool FC ambassador.

Fowler said: 'We as a club still talk about the MCG game. I think the support we had then was unreal and it was special. It’s not a clichéd answer when I say we still talk about it.

'Just get on YouTube and search ‘’You’ll Never Walk Alone at the MCG’. It was unbelievable.'

• 4 months later...

Anyone heard of any other games we've got lined up? 5 games doesn't seem very many. We had 8 friendlies last year and 7 the year before (In 2012 we only had 4 but had 2 rounds of Europa League qualifiers).

14 July: Thai All Stars

17 July: Brisbane Roar

20 July: Adelaide United

24 July: Malaysia XI

1 August: Helsinki

---

8 August: Stoke

We could maybe fit in another between Malaysia and Helsinki but given the travel time it doesn't leave much time. A game before the Stoke match might be a bit too close. Obviously there's no home game against someone like Dortmund or Valencia because of the Main Stand works but I'd expect another game in there.

Maybe they're less important these days for fitness and match practice as the players tend not to report back to pre-season training out of shape anymore but I was hoping we might have a semi-local game this year again.

Fucking arseholing bastards. Couldn't order during the LFC presales but got online early on for the general sale. At about an hour into the sale before I could get into the sales site to find that the "only" tickets left were top price sideline stands. So I got one, no concessions, cost me half a weeks pension (as my regular readers may have deduced, I'm an old cunt and my life savings are in my next pension cheque). In the front row so at least my eyesight won't be a problem. So this morning I get an email from them for the open training and that more tickets available for the match. Not only in the Liverpool area (which they like to call the kop) but they're now offering concessions at a third of the price I paid. Gouging fucking twats.

Fucking arseholing bastards. Couldn't order during the LFC presales but got online early on for the general sale. At about an hour into the sale before I could get into the sales site to find that the "only" tickets left were top price sideline stands. So I got one, no concessions, cost me half a weeks pension (as my regular readers may have deduced, I'm an old cunt and my life savings are in my next pension cheque). In the front row so at least my eyesight won't be a problem. So this morning I get an email from them for the open training and that more tickets available for the match. Not only in the Liverpool area (which they like to call the kop) but they're now offering concessions at a third of the price I paid. Gouging fucking twats.

$280?