You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge-2015

LFC 6 Times

Nov 2013

“I know Daniel as well as anyone and it was clear he wasn’t fit, yet he played the 90 minutes (for England),” said the Liverpool manager.

“So I had to assess: We have got a game against a massive rival away from home. I need everyone as close to 100% as I possibly can.

“He is clearly not. I am looking at him in training on Friday and he is not right.

“Whose responsibility is that? It is the Association, the player.

“There is a trend. There are maybe some games when he hasn’t played well and that has happened on the back of not training.

“All I can do is look and assess who will give me absolutely everything when they go out on the field.”

“A lot of players, especially the top ones, they are never 100%,” said the Northern Irishman. “That is what you are always gauging – those who work on that threshold between 80 and 100%.

“Daniel has been a match-winner for us throughout his time here but I didn’t feel, because of that level of fitness, he was going to be that for us.

“The boy has got all the ability in the world. The boy has got as much talent as any striker in Europe; look at his pace, his power, skill, touch and ability.

“Hopefully he will come in this week, have a good week in training and get back up to speed. If he does that, he will be in with a great chance of starting at Hull next week.”

“It is very simple for me,” he said. “With any player, you have to put yourself on the training field. If you do that, you will be in with a chance of playing.

“Jon Flanagan was immense.

“A young kid from the city – he wants to play and he will be in a derby that is shown on Sky Gold in 30 years’ time because of his desire and will to put himself out there every day.

“If you don’t do that, there is a consequence – you don’t play.

“If you want to be a champion, if you want to win things, you have to be ready.

“For this game, I just felt Daniel wasn’t ready.”

April last year

"Everybody is different when they get injured and how they deal with it. A player will never be 100 per cent fit - more or less - when he plays. They're always carrying something.

"If it hinders performance, then you can only trust the player that he cannot give any more or they can't operate at the level they want to because of injury.

"With Daniel, there's been a number of injuries that he's had and that's before he came here. He had a fairly sustained run last season and served us well, but this season has been difficult.

"He just needs to find a way to physically and mentally try to keep himself as fit as he can, but sometimes that isn't all down to you sometimes it's about luck as well."

Nov 2014

Asked if players sometimes had to play through the pain, he said:

“[since] that’s his ninth injury on that thigh from previous clubs and here, there is an issue there somewhere. Most players you’ll find want to play through an injury to get onto the field. Very few go out there and are 100 per cent. Obviously that’s what you do."

Yes, but apart from those times.

Is this a windup?

The first example Rodgers is blaming the fa for his injury and said he played for England when he wasn't 100% fit.

The second one he's saying players never play at 100% and when Sturridge is not fit he doesn't play as well, he uses examples of him missing training and then performing not at his best.He then said Sturridge needs a bit of luck to stay fit.

The third quote were he is asked a question about players playing not at 100%, he again says a player never plays at 100% but that's what they do.

I don't see how these are examples of Rodgers saying Sturridge won't play with pain or that he has mental issues which are stopping him, if anything these quotes say the opposite.

Brodge

All I can do is look and assess who will give me absolutely everything when they go out on the field.

There is a trend. There are maybe some games when he hasn’t played well and that has happened on the back of not training.

I have got to make a call. Do I put him in again? I know the games in which he has been very good. The games he has disappointed in have come when he hasn’t trained.

Brodge

“He’s not fit and once he can show that consistency and fitness, you can see in his performance level that it’s a high one,” said Rodgers. “But obviously he has missed lot of the season so we need to assess it. Either way if he’s not available, we need to have that support.

“There always is that risk with those type of players with their speed and body type but we have to hope with Daniel Sturridge this year was just an unlucky season and he can come back super-fit and super-strong because he has an immense talent. You can’t argue with that, he can be as good as any striker in the world with his talent.

“The best players relish the competition. They enjoy the competition and playing with other top players.”