You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge-2015

LFC 6 Times

I don't know if anybody caught that MOTD programme that the BBC put out on a Sunday afternoon where the panel usually consists of an ex-player/ pundit and a journalist or a commentator and they go over the footy stories, but Shay Given was on it today and I thought he made an excellent point in relation to Sturridge (and also Danny Welbeck, as they were discussing Hodgson's comments that he'd only take fully fit players to the Euros, and those were remarks were interpreted as being aimed at them). Basically, he said that in all the dressing rooms he's been in during his time as a pro, he mentioned that it's been a rarity if a player is ever 100% fully fit. He said that in the vast majority of cases, players have had niggles or aches but once you cross the white line, it's out of your head as the adrenaline kicks in and you feel like you can run through a brick wall.

The above is one big question mark hanging over Sturridge and, to be honest, the lad's not doing a lot to dissuade anybody from thinking otherwise. You'd think he'd realise how important he is to us and would be busting a gut to get out there, yet there seems to be no inclination at all to do that. It's been pretty telling that in Klopp's last press conference, the question of his injury was greeted with pretty much a shrug of the shoulder. If he makes it back for the City game (and I'm not even counting my chickens on that one), that'll be six weeks since he picked up this injury and a further eight since his last game. Six fucking weeks with an injury that hasn't been expanded upon beyond 'a knock at the training ground, some fluid on his knee'. Six fucking weeks for that. It's a fucking piss take. There's something really fucking fishy about it because it doesn't add up: could he have maybe been involved in some capacity the past month or so, or is it genuinely this bollocks about only playing when you're 100%?

You hear of players picking up knocks and missing one game- two tops- but six fucking weeks? He's a fit young man, an athlete in the prime of his life. There are a fat middle-aged men whose bodies heal quicker. Ledley bloody King had no cartilage in his knee and he was usually good for one game a week for Spurs after a dip in Daniel Levy's pool. As I said, this doesn't add up to me.

I know it's not specifically his fault that we're relying on him because the club have fucked up royally in the market, but we're at the stage where we're going have to ask serious questions about him. At the minute, he's as much of a liability as *insert name of your whipping boy of choice*, simply because his failure to play is actively costing us points. If he plays against Palace today and v Soton the other week, I'd be willing to bet we'd have a minimum of four points in the bag from those two games because the lad is that good and that important to us. Instead, we've got fucking one and no indication as to when he's going to be fit.

• Upvote 6

Agree with that, jimmycase. For what it's worth, I think the lad's head is a mess. I think he's had that many injuries at such a young age that he hasn't had a chance to get to know his body and what he can and can't take. I think any little niggle is accentuated in his own mind and it's having an effect on his recovery as a consequence.

I think a top sports psychologist would do him the world of good. There's no doubt the injuries are genuine, but it's an absolute piss take when routine knocks are apparently taking weeks to shake off.

To be fair there were a fair few damp leaves around this afternoon- tricky to negotiate as you walk from your mansion to your Range Rover. They can be slippy. Best not to take the risk.

A little over-critical there Xerxes, it was well publicised there was 0001-/0000 chance of lightning striking in the suburbs today. (But I'm no 'Jimmy the Greek')

I have no idea what Daniel Sturridge would do. 

EDIT - OP change the fucking date to 2016

Why stop there.

I would change the thread to  -  Daniel Sturridge still Injured -  and make it a Sticky at the top of the page.

More sightings of Lord Lucan

• Upvote 1

If he's not at least on the bench for City he'll be gone by January. I still think he's angling for a way out and unwilling to risk a real injury before then. After seeing Sterling throw his toys out and nail on 250 grand a week he must be thinking that some club in contention will take a punt on him.

If he's not at least on the bench for City he'll be gone by January. I still think he's angling for a way out and unwilling to risk a real injury before then. After seeing Sterling throw his toys out and nail on 250 grand a week he must be thinking that some club in contention will take a punt on him.

There is more chance of him playing a full season injury free than getting a move to a top 4 team on £200k+ a week.

If he is offloaded then we'll probably be part paying him to move on as he won't be taking a wage cut to do it and nobody else is going to pay him £150k a week.

Why do people keep saying we should offload him. ? It's just fucking mental. If he can't play football why would anyone buy him and give him a contract worth millions a year ?

If he can play then we don't want to sell,  Summary is he's not going anywhere in a hurry.

Let's change the fucking tune.

• Upvote 2

Why do people keep saying we should offload him. ? It's just fucking mental. If he can't play football why would anyone buy him and give him a contract worth millions a year ?

If he can play then we don't want to sell, Summary is he's not going anywhere in a hurry.

Let's change the fucking tune.

I think City would take him, he wouldn't be expected to play every week either because Aguero is better than him. He's also only ever had praise for them unlike Chelsea, where he refused to celebrate scoring against Man City but did against Chelsea.

The only decent forward at the club since Suarez left despite spending £62m plus whatever the fuck Danny Ings ends up costing.

Criminal

When Ings gets back from his injury he is going to shit fire over the PL under Klopp.  Remember you heard it here first.

• Upvote 1

When Ings gets back from his injury he is going to shit fire over the PL under Klopp. Remember you heard it here first.

I agree which makes it all the more heart breaking that he's out so long. The Sturridge situation is just beyond a joke but it's not worth selling him so we might aswell just accept he is an expensive bit part player and plan for life without him. Only problem in the market now is we've got no more talent to sell to boost the transfer coffers (all the more ludicrous the decision to allow the old manager to spend it in summer) so I can't see how much he is going to get, we pretty much broke even by all accounts but now we've paid Rodgers off I wonder how much there is to spend?

I agree which makes it all the more heart breaking that he's out so long. The Sturridge situation is just beyond a joke but it's not worth selling him so we might aswell just accept he is an expensive bit part player and plan for life without him. Only problem in the market now is we've got no more talent to sell to boost the transfer coffers (all the more ludicrous the decision to allow the old manager to spend it in summer) so I can't see how much he is going to get, we pretty much broke even by all accounts but now we've paid Rodgers off I wonder how much there is to spend?

Selling talent may have swelled out transfer coffers in the recent past but it's not helped us one bit due to the shit investments we've made.

As for what's left to spend, I would seriously fucking hope that a chunk of sponsor income, ticket and merch sales along with the massive TV cheque they get every season might be available. I can see absolutely no excuse not to to buy what we need to improve us, especially in the striker department. Sturridge is a lost cause since Stevie left and he's got nobody to mollycoddle him into playing through the pain barrier so we need to buy proven quality; fuck the cost, we deserve it after the shite we've been through the last season and a half.

• Upvote 1