You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge-2015

LFC 6 Times

Didn't Stevie make some reference(in his book) to Sturridge not wanting to play in games because he felt he had a knock. Then when he convinced him to play he'd be fine and end up scoring a goal.

Thought I read that online recently but haven't read the book so maybe I'm wrong. 

That's right mate, I posted it on here so that's where you may have read it. He basically had to beg him to play through the pain barrier to help the team out, he says he spent ages trying to convince him to play. He ended up playing and scoring the winner (think it was against the mancs).

Didn't Stevie make some reference(in his book) to Sturridge not wanting to play in games because he felt he had a knock. Then when he convinced him to play he'd be fine and end up scoring a goal.

Thought I read that online recently but haven't read the book so maybe I'm wrong. 

Our shared past with United was so tangled, so embittered, it consumed me. I was always desperate to play against them, even if there had been more defeats than victories. It seemed different for Daniel Sturridge.

My memories of that game are dominated by the build-up, and Daniel feeling he was touch and go in terms of his fitness and desire to play. Facing Man U without Luis (Suarez) was tough enough, but if we lost Daniel as well, most of our ammunition would be gone.

We stayed at the Hope Street Hotel and had our usual team walk before the match, I positioned myself so that I walked next to Daniel for the whole 15 minutes. I had to try to persuade him to play.

Daniel is one of those people you have to boost sometimes with a "Come on! You're our main man, just go for it!". You never needed to say that to Luis. It was as if he was indestructible. Luis doesn't really do treatment rooms, that's the Suarez mentality, he's run through a brick wall for you.

It was yet another of my tasks as captain, but I was probably more like a fan on the walk trying to persuade Daniel, eventually begging him to play. "Alright", Daniel said, "I'll give it a go". At last I could turn my attention to United.

Lot easier to " walk alone " on 150k a week . Shame the money they're on now, appearance, win and goal bonus must mean fuck all to them. If they even exist anymore.

If he can't get fixed soon he will have to go. Injuries are awful, I was Wi tennis champion of our house until a nasty wrist sprain. Now I just cannot bring myself to play.

People work with chronic pain everyday in manual work especially. Maybe losing your job or the threat of having your income reduced is a motivator to work through the pain barrier occasionally. We probably all have, I do all the time.

If he is injured he is injured. Something has to give though as this is unsustainable on his wage for the club.

So judging by this thread,do we think we know 50% of the gay players about to go 'come out' are then? Lol

I'd be amazed if he isn't really injured though,he's finally been given chance and trust at our club to prove how good he is after wasting away in reserves elsewhere.Surely he wants to score and throw in some shapes every week?

Mind you,I suppose you can go to Pink for that? Waheeeeeeey :-)

Sturridge is getting a bit of stick for his injury record, but also because he is such a good player when fit... and we really need him. A firing Sturridge would have us up challenging nearer to the top. The team is not bad. Obviously it can and will improve, but the glaring deficiency is up top. Lots of these draws could have been wins with Sturridge playing. That's where much of the frustration is coming from.

Think about Flanagan. No one is giving him stick. I haven't seen him play for the longest time. I think when he first got injured I didn't realize it would take so long. Don't know if he has reinsured along the way or what. Anyhow, why doesn't Flanagan get any stick for being injured? Obviously he's not on anything like the wage Sturridge is on, but one reason Flanagan is relatively unscathed is because we aren't depending on him.

If Flanagan comes back he will probably end up a decent squad man, able to cover both full back positions. With a fair wind he might get the nod at fullback, but I wouldn't bet on it. He's a good, honest pro, and we hope he overcomes his injury problems and makes it here.

But Flanagan gets no stick for being out, while Sturridge gets loads. Interesting.

• Upvote 3

I suspect Sturridge wants out and has probably been tapped up by City. Kony has proved himself useless and Aguero is injured a lot so they'll be needing a goal threat in the PL and CL. If all it takes for Sturridge is to say "Bu' it hurts some, like there! Ouch!" he can bide his time until January and not risk a real injury. Everybody know the deal with him and City would gladly pay the money for the 10-12 goals or more he'd offer after January.

Hasn't trained again today so it's highly doubtful that he'll be involved tomorrow.

Just keep him back for Saturday now. If he's going to only play 10 odd games a season then Chelsea away might as well be one of them. He always seems to score against his former teams as well.

That whole last page is an absolute disgrace.

It's not Sturridge's fault the club misdiagnosed his hip problem for over a year before finally sending him in for surgery.  And now that they've finally fixed it, he gets a contact injury, which can (and does, all the time) happen to absolutely anyone.

Bad luck?  Sure.  Sign of a "weak character/pussy?"  Please.  Whatever happened to "you'll never walk alone?"

Just to be clear I'm not saying the lad is a shithouse, I don't know him.  Stevie basically suggested that and he was his captain, trained with him every day etc. but whatever.

My point was that it doesn't matter.  The reason he has missed roughly half the games we'e played since we signed him is irrelevant to me, the fact of it is all that's important.  With our budget we can't afford to be paying top whack wages to a player whose availability seems to be a perpetual gamble.

City had concerns about his injury record, it is one of the reasons he was allowed to leave.  Chelsea had a hugely promising young player on their hands, didn't play him and sold him for a relatively low value for an English player.  Those clubs aren't mugs.  Cunts yes, but not mugs.

Sturridge has played one full season in his entire career.

Brendan did not want to sign him, not because he is not a talented goal scorer, he is, but because mentally, and physically, he has not shown himself to be a player any manager can rely upon.

You’ll never walk alone is fine, it would just be nice if he could run around a bit as well.

Anyone who thinks Sturridge would rather be injured than play is an absolutely fucking monstrous whopper.

• Upvote 4

Sturridge has played one full season in his entire career.

Brendan did not want to sign him, not because he is not a talented goal scorer, he is, but because mentally, and physically, he has not shown himself to be a player any manager can rely upon.

You’ll never walk alone is fine, it would just be nice if he could run around a bit as well.

Fuck what Brendan thought, he rarely got anything right in the transfer market anyway.

Sturridge is a top class striker, they are to find. People are moaning about his high wages but if we sold him, for the shit fee we would get, they would be the same people going into the transfer thread and going mental that we don't pay the extra for top quality players. 

Some people wanted Agger sold because his injury record was shocking, saying we couldn't rely on him. That worked out well for us didn't it. Top quality players are hard to find. Be careful what you wish for, we need him.

If we got to a cup semi final next year a player like him could make all the difference between winning a trophy or ending the season with fuck all again.

So Gerrard had to convince him to play through the pain barrier - not, convince him to play when he wasn't in pain but just didn't fancy it because he's a massive shithouse.

What about all those other times he's played injured and scored goals?

It's frustrating that he is injured all the time but I'm sure it's a lot more frustrating for him than it is for us.

• Upvote 3