You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Homeless, Foodbanks and Soup Kitchens

Oh Buoy

NV's river island adventure takes me back to Swallows And Amazons. After seeing the film and reading the book I had daydreams of running away and setting up camp on a river island in the Lake District.

Anyway, good luck with the project Buoy. I hope it works out well. Maybe you could volunteer or shadow at a food bank for a few days to get a feel for how it operates.

In the process of doing that (the helping out), I think there's a lot of research required to make the right decision and that decision cannot come from me but from a collection of levels throughout this problem.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the well wishes.

• Upvote 1

Check the other services around your area. If there's already some then see what homeless people really need. It's not always just food. Good luck with your project.

Thanks, pal.

PS, the ratio for homeless people is probably 60% NRPF now so jobs are more important, and food will just encourage people to stay on the streets longer.

There's a stereotype of homeless people being the only users of soup kitchens and food banks. Sadly, theres a huge rise in families and people with jobs using them due to circumstance.

NV's river island adventure takes me back to Swallows And Amazons. After seeing the film and reading the book I had daydreams of running away and setting up camp on a river island in the Lake District.

Anyway, good luck with the project Buoy. I hope it works out well. Maybe you could volunteer or shadow at a food bank for a few days to get a feel for how it operates.

I'm not sure he ever had a river adventure.

• 3 years later...

I've noticed a heart warming recent development, a lot of people stopping & chatting to homeless people in the street.

I keep seeing it & I'd love to do it myself but I'm a bit socially awkward at times & wouldn't really know what to say. Has this come from social media or is it just a natural thing that's occurred?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mook said:

I've noticed a heart warming recent development, a lot of people stopping & chatting to homeless people in the street.

I keep seeing it & I'd love to do it myself but I'm a bit socially awkward at times & wouldn't really know what to say. Has this come from social media or is it just a natural thing that's occurred?

I think more people are aware of it now, and realise that even just passing a few minutes to show people they do exist is a beneficial thing to do.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mook said:

Those bloody Antihobophobes being all friendly and caring grrrr!

• Upvote 1

A really good lad I knew died a year or so back on the streets, he came from an iffy family but he was a genuine kid, drugs got him in the end.

Use to see him regularly begging and despite offers from many of shelter etc he was adamant he was ok. I would give him money despite knowing where it was going and I regret it. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mook said:

"Would you like to come into my nice warm office and keep my boss company?"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Fella on the corner of North St John St/Lord St in Liverpool. Gave him a couple of quid and he had a box of sweets and offered me some because he said he didn't want something for nothing. I didn't take any but walked away with tears in my eyes. 

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Fella on the corner of North St John St/Lord St in Liverpool. Gave him a couple of quid and he had a box of sweets and offered me some because he said he didn't want something for nothing. I didn't take any but walked away with tears in my eyes. 

Out of rep. Are you a big softie or did the pong make your eyes water?

Joke.

4 hours ago, Mook said:

There was a thing on Radio4s PM about it... they've been running a project in Liverpool & Manc to encourage people to talk to the Homeless

Apparently it helps a lot for all sorts of reasons... some people are just really nice

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I found out an old school pal is homeless this week & staying up in Edinburgh so I got in touch with him & said I'd take him out for some scran on my break today.

Went to KFC & the cunt orders an iced tea. He said he had dodgy guts so didn't want anything to eat. Un-fucking-believable.

52 minutes ago, Mook said:

I found out an old school pal is homeless this week & staying up in Edinburgh so I got in touch with him & said I'd take him out for some scran on my break today.

Went to KFC & the cunt orders an iced tea. He said he had dodgy guts so didn't want anything to eat. Un-fucking-believable.

That wasn’t the deal, was it?

1 minute ago, Champ said:

That wasn’t the deal, was it?

I was going to get him a load of food because I thought he'd be starving.

I bought myself a CD on the way back to the office with the money I'd saved anyway, that's me done my bit for poverty for the day.

• Upvote 2