You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dry January

Rico1304

I'm starting my month off the ale this week. This is my first weekend. Can never do dry January cos it's my birthday early Jan. So starting now. Never done this before and already noticing a severe lack of something without having a beer. Has anyone had any positive affects yet or good stuff to report? Need some motivations

I'm starting my month off the ale this week. This is my first weekend. Can never do dry January cos it's my birthday early Jan. So starting now. Never done this before and already noticing a severe lack of something without having a beer. Has anyone had any positive affects yet or good stuff to report? Need some motivations

After a week you'll sleep a lot better and be a few thousand calories down.

Have you noticed pretty much everyone doing this barely drinks anyway? I like a drink, but I think if I was cracking more than 2 cans a day dry January would be certainly something to consider, but it seems like everyone participating only drinks on a Friday or Saturday night anyway. 

Last week was a pretty stressful one for me, had quite a lot of work on so on my breaks I rang up my mate and we went for a few pints on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday and last night I had 2 litres of cider and bar Christmas, that's as heavy as its been for me since the summer. Gone are the days of looking for any excuse to drink and drinking alone is very rare.

Of course as soon as the weather warms up and beach drinking is possible again, I'll be sinking a lot more. 

• 2 weeks later...

I dont buy this 'relationship with alcohol' bollocks. I eat green beans a few times a week, but I dont have a 'relationship' with them. The only vegetable i relate to on occasion is Tony Manero.

It's not bollocks for me old timer. I have at times been quite a heavy drinker and as I have got older I have gradually drunk less anyway, but I would still sometimes just be bored and so have a drink. I can't see me doing that anymore. I just can't be arsed feeling slightly jaded the day after, I don't sleep as well when I have a drink and I generally don't feel like I am missing out when I don't have a drink anymore.

My Dad goes on about drinking all the time, moaning about how bad it is for you & lecturing people about it constantly (he was fucking drunk half the time when I was growing up).

Boring as fuck, either drink or don't drink & stop going on about it (not aimed at anyone on here).

• Upvote 1

I don't drink or get fucked up half as much as I used to because it takes me so much longer to recover from now, and because I don't treat it as my number one hobby, as I did for 20 years.

When I want to though, I'll do it to excess and not feel any guilt.  It is after all what it's meant for; enjoying yourself and having a good time.  When that enjoyment becomes less than whatever negatives or loss of potential other positives it brings with, it's time to drop it some.

Law-of-diminishing returns is a bastard.

It's not bollocks for me old timer. I have at times been quite a heavy drinker and as I have got older I have gradually drunk less anyway, but I would still sometimes just be bored and so have a drink. I can't see me doing that anymore. I just can't be arsed feeling slightly jaded the day after, I don't sleep as well when I have a drink and I generally don't feel like I am missing out when I don't have a drink anymore.

So, young fella, what's your relationship with green beans like?  

I have to say I have never been one to drink on my own, except when it's hot and I'm slaving away in the garden - I'd never do it because I'm bored, or because I feel I'm missing out, for example.  That sounds to me like it's a healthy habit to kick.